Author Topic: Please Allow Me To Introduce Myself  (Read 8222 times)

FAVisceglia

Please Allow Me To Introduce Myself
« on: December 13, 2015, 05:22:33 AM »
Good evening! I recently moved from the People's Republic of NJ to New Castle, DE. Excited to be in a state that's slightly more accepting of my love for all things firearms. A bit dismayed, however, that all of my out-of-state CCW permits are now useless (pretty sure my UT one is actually now invalid). While I'm happy to go through the DE process, not sure how new residents are supposed to find 5 in-county references—if anyone has any tips on how to make pro-2A friends in NCC, please let me know!  :-\

My name is Anthony, and I'm 29 years old. Briefly served in the Navy, but now I'm a rather boring applications engineer working for a firm in Philadelphia. Previously, my preferred CCW was a M&P SHIELD, and my go-to home defense handgun is a Glock 19. My most recent purchase was a Ruger SR-556TD, though I suspect that will prove very hard to conceal carry...

Aside from any tips on how to make friends, I'd greatly appreciate any advice on where to shoot. I've been relying on the pistol range at Targetmaster, but my girlfriend and I both love our long guns, too, and have been struggling to find a place that can accommodate calibers up to 30-06 and range above 50 yards.

I'm thrilled that a community like this exists, and I'm grateful to be a part of it.

del elec

• Life Member
Re: Please Allow Me To Introduce Myself
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 10:35:57 AM »
Welcome to Delaware.

Elk Neck range in North East, MD goes up to 100 yards. It's $10/day; $50/year.

You can also open-carry in Delaware.
[]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]
------)_'_\ * (
"----------\ * \
"-----------\_*_\
Life NRA
Shooters Choice
Bridgeville Rifle & Pistol Club
DE CCDW
PA LTCF
MD Wear & Carry

mbtech

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 12:30:04 PM »
Welcome, a lot of good info here.

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 01:49:58 PM »
Welcome Anthony,
Are you a Stones fan? "Please allow me.....
I think a lot of folks will recommend Bridgeville range. Never been there myself.
Thank you for your service, and welcome.
New Castle County

29thInfantry

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2015, 04:29:05 PM »
Welcome to the group.
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

joep19934

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2015, 05:10:20 PM »
Welcome aboard and enjoy the forums.
I'm sure you'll get tons of info about your situation.
There were just a few people that moved to DE from NJ recently.

18 Day Turnaround
Kent County
NRA Member
DE/PA CCDW permits
BRIDGEVILLE RIFLE & PISTOL CLUB Member
Delaware State Sportsman's Association

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2015, 06:49:17 PM »
Welcome, @FAVisceglia
Patience is a virtue.  Unfortunately patience is required for the DE permit process but it is still quicker than PRNJ and PRMD.  
A good range for New Castle residents is the Southern Chester County Shooters Sportsmens & Farmers Association.  Membership openings are expected in the spring. Sign up for notification here. Ranges are 7, 15, 25, 50,75, & 100 yards.  
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 04:08:13 AM by Cbmarine »
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

FAVisceglia

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2015, 08:51:52 PM »
Welcome Anthony,
Are you a Stones fan? "Please allow me.....
I think a lot of folks will recommend Bridgeville range. Never been there myself.
Thank you for your service, and welcome.

What can I say? I'm a man of wealth and taste. Or I pretend to be.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll check it out.

FAVisceglia

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2015, 08:52:30 PM »
Welcome to Delaware.

Elk Neck range in North East, MD goes up to 100 yards. It's $10/day; $50/year.

You can also open-carry in Delaware.

Thanks for the recommendation!

Not a fan of open-carry, but I do appreciate the information.

FAVisceglia

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2015, 08:56:02 PM »
Welcome, @FAVisceglia
Patience is a virtue.  Unfortunately patience is required for the DE permit process but it is still quicker than PRNJ and PRMD. 
A good range for New Castle residents is the Southern Chester County Shooters & Farmers Association.  Membership openings are expected in the spring. Sign up for notification here. Ranges are 7, 15, 25, 50,75, & 100 yards.   

Signed up. Looks promising—thanks for the recommendation.

It's not so much the time that bothers me; I just wish I could use 5 out-of-state referrals. Even NJ lets you use any reference for handgun permits. It's a bit taxing on new residents, I think, to require 5 from the same zip code. Maybe I'll make some sympathetic NCC friends at the ranges.

del elec

• Life Member
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2015, 10:06:45 PM »
Welcome, @FAVisceglia
Patience is a virtue.  Unfortunately patience is required for the DE permit process but it is still quicker than PRNJ and PRMD. 
A good range for New Castle residents is the Southern Chester County Shooters & Farmers Association.  Membership openings are expected in the spring. Sign up for notification here. Ranges are 7, 15, 25, 50,75, & 100 yards.   

Signed up. Looks promising—thanks for the recommendation.

It's not so much the time that bothers me; I just wish I could use 5 out-of-state referrals. Even NJ lets you use any reference for handgun permits. It's a bit taxing on new residents, I think, to require 5 from the same zip code. Maybe I'll make some sympathetic NCC friends at the ranges.
They don't require references from the same zip code. Just the same county.
[]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]
------)_'_\ * (
"----------\ * \
"-----------\_*_\
Life NRA
Shooters Choice
Bridgeville Rifle & Pistol Club
DE CCDW
PA LTCF
MD Wear & Carry

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2015, 11:51:26 AM »
Place to shoot ...

Delaware State Pistol Club action pistol on Monday nights or 2nd/4th Wed 6PM.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 11:53:38 AM by Radnor »
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

RetCapt1994

• Life Member
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2015, 09:36:43 PM »
Welcome from Sussex Co and you will enjoy this forum. Good people and any questions will be answered. I moved out of the PRNJ 21 1/2years ago right after my retirement. Again, welcome and all the best to you.
Glock Armorer - Tavor Level One Armorer
It is all about bullet placement                          Carry permits, de ccw, and leosa/hr218  DELAWARE SUCKS----THE WORST STATE

The Sphinx

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2015, 11:29:50 AM »
FYI the Utah permit you have is not invalid although per Delaware law you can't use it to lawfully carry in Delaware but the permit is still valid and will remain so until it expires. When it does expire they won't issue you another unless you have a Delaware license. If you get a Delaware you do not have to send it to Utah either. They won't ask you for it until you renew. I just moved here just under a year ago and called Utah BCI for confirmation.

FAVisceglia

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2015, 12:47:08 AM »
FYI the Utah permit you have is not invalid although per Delaware law you can't use it to lawfully carry in Delaware but the permit is still valid and will remain so until it expires. When it does expire they won't issue you another unless you have a Delaware license. If you get a Delaware you do not have to send it to Utah either. They won't ask you for it until you renew. I just moved here just under a year ago and called Utah BCI for confirmation.

Ah, thank you for the clarification. I was (mis)informed that I'd need to immediately report my change of address to UT and they would invalidate my CCWP unless I could produce a DE one.