Author Topic: New CCW, potential problems?  (Read 11009 times)

Kh5249

New CCW, potential problems?
« on: December 20, 2015, 09:06:32 PM »
I have been a resident of Delaware for about two years and have applied for a CCW.  In 2001, I received a conviction of possession of switchblade in Los Angeles county, where I am from.  I paid a fine.

Do you believe this will prevent or hinder me from getting a CCW issued in Delaware?  Thanks in advance.

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
Re: New CCW, potential problems?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2015, 10:49:05 PM »
Switchblades are illegal in Delaware. That being said, since it's been 14 years ago and, I am assuming ,  a low level crime with no time served, you may be ok. But there is only one way to make sure. Call The Attorney Generals Office in your county (NC/Kent/Sussex) and ask them. Don't be afraid to go to the horses mouth. They will be the people that make that decision. If you apply without checking and get turned down, you do not get your money back. Then your only thing to do would be to appeal it, at additional expense. Phone calls are free.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 11:45:44 AM »
Since it says you HAVE applied, you'll know in about 6 months.

Since it was so long ago, I think you will be ok.
Keep us informed please.
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 02:11:29 PM »
Good luck KH5249. Hope all goes well for you. I think this example shows you are trying to do the right thing this time, by getting the proper permit before protecting yourself.
I prefer "automatic" knife. Doesn't sound as sinister as switchblade. Although, as SturmRuger mentioned, illegal in DE either way.
New Castle County

Kh5249

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 02:55:06 PM »
Thanks for the guidance, all.  Ya, it was 14 years ago and literally 17 days post my 18th birthday.  At the time, my father was a police officer in neighboring Long Beach, but I declined to seek his help in "getting me out of it," which he very well could have. Looking back, I wished I had because this offense has been hanging over my head in one form or another since.

If I do get denied, my defense to the judge will be that I have had no run-ins with the law since - besides a few speeding tickets - and have served in the army, honorably discharged, have earned a bachelors and two master degrees, and am an HR Manager at a large multinational company.  Hopefully, that will be enough.

Not for nothing, but I did get it expunged in California.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 02:56:37 PM by Kh5249 »

Kh5249

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2016, 04:53:24 PM »
NCC
Submitted 12/23
Received Permit 2/18

Not too bad considering my aforementioned circumstances and that I have only lived in Delaware 16 months - with 3/5 references only knowing me 2 years.  None of which were called.

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2016, 05:44:19 PM »
You said it was expunged, so legally it did not happen and should not show up.  In any case I'm sure you feel like a weight has been lifted.  Congradulations.
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

Kh5249

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2016, 07:29:29 PM »
A MAJOR WEIGHT!  However, although it was expunged at the county level in Los Angeles and reflects so in the Los Angeles county database (I checked), my FBI background check still lists the conviction and the sentence.  I know this because I ran my FBI background check via digital fingerprints out of curiosity last month.

Before I expunged it, my FBI background check listed the charge with no conviction. AFTER I expunged it, it listed the disposition with conviction/sentence.  I thought that was strange since I was expecting to see some sort of language relating to dismissal or expunge, but instead it just listed the actual disposition!  Whats the point of expunging if it wont appear on the FBI report?!  I'm guessing because there is a law in California where they are required to expunge certain misdemeanors after x amount time contingent on no other convictions.  Who knows.

In any event, I am certain that Delaware DOJ saw it.  It's funny actually, I submitted my Florida BEFORE my Delaware and Florida is YET to have issued me one BECAUSE of this brilliant switchblade conviction.  I called Florida and asked what gives and they told me that they are trying to verify that the conviction on my FBI background check is a misdemeanor or felony - since it does not specify it, only the charge and Penal Code.  Give me a break!!! It didn't take the investigator in Delaware that long to verify it, and all you have to do is look up the California Penal Code that was listed to easily verify that it's a misdemeanor.  Come'on Florida.  That's gotta be a record, right?  NCC issues me before Florida? lol.

Clarence

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2016, 07:53:05 PM »
Have you had a problem with the NICS check when buying a gun?

Kh5249

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2016, 08:39:37 PM »
Never.  The initial time I bought a gun, it took about 35 minutes.  From thereafter, the NICS check is only a few minutes.

Kh5249

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2016, 03:01:25 PM »
But the real burn is that although I now have my Delaware CCW, it appears that I will be unable to obtain a non-resident PA.  Why you ask?  Because it appears that they will do a PICS check on me in Lancaster and will see the switchblade conviction in California.  And since ridiculous, "shall-issue" Pennsylvania adds several more firearm ownership requirements under PA 6105 on top of the Federal requirements, I doubt they'd grant me it.  Although I can own and carry in my own state!  The switchblade conviction falls under PA 6105, 908. And many of the crimes that fall under those PA statutes are not firearm-ownership showstoppers federally or in any other state.  Thanks, PA.  >:(

It looks like my workaround to carry concealed in PA is attempt to get a non-resident New Hampshire, which has reciprocity.

Any thoughts?

Clarence

• Life Member
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2016, 04:35:50 PM »
The PICS check for any convictions outside of PA will mirror the federal NICS check.  You have already passed this.  In addition you stated it was expunged so should not be an issue.  If you fail PA then you should appeal.
I doubt that Lancaster will invoke the character clause for an old expunged thing like a switchblade.  I would go for it.

Kh5249

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2016, 04:48:39 PM »
It's true. It is expunged.  But the only systems that reflect this are LA County and California DOJ, which I have documents on. However, my FBI background still reflects conviction and sentence. 

It could be that California DOJ didn't provide all the information to the FBI, but I doubt that because before it was expunged, my FBI record just showed the charge, and about 30 days after it was expunged several years later, the FBI report updated and showed the conviction now too. 

Suppose I do go after the PA CCW, can I legally answer "no" the question where it asks about convictions under or relating to PA 6105?  Sure, it's expunged, but it's not like the FBI record is reflecting that...

Clarence

• Life Member
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2016, 07:21:16 PM »
Do you have any documentation that it was expunged?

Kh5249

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2016, 07:49:41 PM »
Yes.  Documentation from LA County Superior Court stating a dismissal.