Author Topic: New CCW, potential problems?  (Read 10684 times)

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
Re: New CCW, potential problems?
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2016, 09:21:53 PM »
I would guard that paper.  A dismissal is not a conviction. You should be OK but I am not a lawyer.

Pennsylvania is known to arrest people who lie on the 4473 form. You have the evidence that it was dismissed and you should answer NO.  However the PICS system may flag you as a "prohibited offensive weapon" is a class A misdemeanor in Pennsylvania and because it carries a maximum of 5 years imprisonment would mean a lifetime ban on firearm ownership if the conviction occurred in Pennsylvania.  In the case of  a carry license, PA would deny a license. The same goes with any drug conviction.

Is there any way to get Los Angeles to correct this with the NCIC?

Another thing would be to contact gunlawyer101 on the Pennsylvania Firearms Owners board.

If it were me, I would try to fix this before I applied
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 10:26:48 PM by Clarence »
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

Kh5249

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2016, 11:29:40 PM »
That's absolutely ridiculous that they would categorize possession of a switchblade in the same realm as other weapons and consequently have such a harsh penalty when every other state in the union classifys possession of a switchblade independently and exclusively as a low-rent misdemeanor and the typical max sentence is a 500 dollar fine or about as it was with me in LA County. (Site and release).

Forget that rig-a-mah-roll... I'll simply go for my NH that has reciprocity with PA.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 11:33:02 PM by Kh5249 »

Kh5249

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2016, 01:35:51 AM »
Greatly appreciate the advice nonetheless.

Obleo

• Life Member
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2016, 12:05:44 PM »
The only reason switchblades were added to the prohibited list in many states was to add charges for gang members.  As usual the law collects many non-affiliated in its net.

I still cannot believe switchblades are ever considered more dangerous than a pocket knife.  Ironically, everyone I met in southern cal had a switchblade collection.  Usually Mexican fabrication but very nice.
Proud resident of Kent County DE

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2016, 01:43:25 PM »
I've always considered switchblades more of a novelty. The mechanism doesn't lead to the best blade lock-up. I'd prefer a frame lock, or ultimately a fixed blade (ultimately my .45😀). Some of the Microtechs are quite nice though. Expensive too. I have a couple of BenchMade "throwers", and an Italian Stilleto. Delaware illegality aside, I would never be carry them for defense. JMO.
Cheers!
New Castle County

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2016, 12:24:43 PM »
Was never into switchblades however I used to carry an automatic "out the front" (OTF) knife at one time before moving to Delaware. Regardless of what the government wants people to believe they are extremely safe. Much more then any folding blade. Single hand operation allows the blade to open and close safely away from hands and fingers.. a very common folding knife injury. Most OTFs are made with enough 'power' to open the blade but will NOT penetrate a persons body unless already opened and used as any other blade. Most would only just barely break the skin of your hand if attempted.

I used it as a daily utility knife mostly. Also carried one with my EMS gear back years ago. I believe Emergency and LEOs in Delaware may be permitted to use them in their gear though not 100% sure on that.

rikwick

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2016, 11:05:59 AM »
I saw a guy get denied a permit because he had a conviction for pos. of a knife conviction.   The knife was over the limit and concealed.  He appealed and tried to explain to the judge that he was not doing anything violent with the knife and no charges of a violent nature were ever filed against him, however the judge was not moved because as he explained it did not matter, it is having the knife that was illegal, not what he did or didn't do with it. 

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2016, 01:51:28 PM »
Knives that are Banned in Delaware

Balisong knives are legal. (Also know and butterfly or batasong knives)
Bowie knives and other large knives are legal.
Disguised knives like belt knives, lipstick knives, and cane knives are legal.
Throwing knives are legal.
Stilettos, dinks and daggers are legal.
Knives that will not set off metal detectors and have a point tip are illegal.
Knives with brass knuckles are illegal.
Switchblades and gravity knives are illegal.
Throwing stars are illegal.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 01:54:28 PM by SturmRugerSR9 »
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2016, 03:10:10 AM »
Automatic knives such as OTFs (out the front) are sadly also illegal even though they are much safer then a folding knife. I'd order another quality OTF in a heartbeat if they were legalized here. Not sure how DE classifies them but most states diff them from the common switchblade.