Author Topic: Holster recommendations for a xdm 3.8 compact  (Read 16490 times)

8thFA

Holster recommendations for a xdm 3.8 compact
« on: December 28, 2015, 01:02:40 AM »
Sorry if this post is rehashing old posts, but I have a XDM 3.8 compact that I just bought as I am applying for my concealed permit.  Any recommendations anyone?

Thanks
US Army veteran
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
NCC

29thInfantry

• Life Member
Re: Holster recommendations for a xdm 3.8 compact
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 01:09:42 AM »
These guys have taken very good care of me.  Their holsters are very comfortable http://stealthgearusa.com/ They are more expensive than most but the quality is awesome.
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

Landmgr

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 01:33:59 AM »
These guys have taken very good care of me.  Their holsters are very comfortable http://stealthgearusa.com/ They are more expensive than most but the quality is awesome.
I agree.  I have been carrying everyday now for the past 3 months and love my StealthGear Onyx holster. I know a lot of people are buying Alien Gear (mainly because of price), but if you can, I would spend the extra money and go with StealthGear. That's my opinion.
Y

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 02:41:18 AM »
Probably worthwhile to find your preferred position and cant of the holster before buying top of the line. Carrying whenever possible is the objective. An uncomfortable position on the clock could reduce your carry percentage.
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

29thInfantry

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2015, 03:13:08 AM »
Probably worthwhile to find your preferred position and cant of the holster before buying top of the line. Carrying whenever possible is the objective. An uncomfortable position on the clock could reduce your carry percentage.

Had this very conversation Christmas eve with my uncle and his family.  Just about all of them have PA permits but only carry when they feel they need to be carrying.  All because of the rigs they bought are uncomfortable. I think I reached them a bit and helped them with positioning so hopefully they will start carrying more. Now understand there will always be some discomfort when carrying but for the most part I carry my Onyx 3:15 with the handle just sticking up enough to get a good grip.  Everyone is different you will need to see what works best for you. I am always willing to share what I have learned I have had a few over the house and we all shared our carry style and what works for us. 
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2015, 02:36:45 PM »
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

Etrier

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2015, 05:07:45 PM »
There are several questions that you should seek answers to before you purchase your holster.  Do you plan on the holster being Inside the Waist Band (IWB) or Outside the Waist Band (OWB)?  What position is comfortable for you to wear the holster, on the hip at 3 o'clock, behind the hip at 4 o'clock or even appendix carry?  What belt will you wear with the holster which will impact the belt loop size on the holster.  The cant of the firearm in the holster should be determined by your ability to comfortably achieve a firing grip on the weapon before your draw stroke so that when your firearm must be drawn from the holster nothing should need to be done other than align your sights and move your trigger finger from the frame to the trigger when your sights are on target.   How much retention will you need to keep your firearm in the holster?  There are different levels of retention in some holsters and molded in retention in others.  Height of the sweat guard or rear holster panel should be considered depending on how much of rear end of the slide you are comfortable with against your body.  Due to the infinite number of body sizes, shapes, arm lengths and hand sizes that I would suggest that you try on as many holsters as you can get your hands on, even if they are not the make and model of your firearm.  My priority for a holster is  that it fits comfortably and provides an immediate firing grip on the draw stroke.  Ultimately you will most likely decide that you will need to purchase more than one holster to meet your concealed carry needs due to seasonal clothing changes and other variables.
Kydex Holster Maker

8thFA

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2015, 06:14:23 PM »
Thanks for the info everyone.  I'm looking to carry IWB, I think I'd prefer appendix or 4 o'clock position generally.  Do holster options get that specific, or can I just buy a good IWB holster that would work in either spot?
US Army veteran
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
NCC

8thFA

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2015, 06:19:43 PM »

These holsters look really good, though on their website they don't specifically have a link for the xdm 3.8 9mm compact.  I will have to contact them and see if the 3.8 holster they have works for the compact too.
US Army veteran
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
NCC

29thInfantry

• Life Member
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2015, 07:37:39 PM »

These holsters look really good, though on their website they don't specifically have a link for the xdm 3.8 9mm compact.  I will have to contact them and see if the 3.8 holster they have works for the compact too.

http://stealthgearusa.com/products/sgusa-holsters-for-the-springfield-xdm-3-8-9mm-40-45?variant=2522377540

Thats not the right one?  But they are really good at getting back to people pretty quickly.
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

8thFA

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2015, 07:54:03 PM »
The XDM has a 3.8 and a 3.8 compact.  I did email them to see if it even matters.
US Army veteran
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
NCC

lynch

• Life Member
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2015, 11:12:46 AM »
...Ultimately you will most likely decide that you will need to purchase more than one holster ...
Amen to that. Wether you need to or not. lol
DE ccdw
PA  LTCF
Utah CFP
NRA member

8thFA

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2015, 03:02:39 AM »

I'm liking the stealth gear, I think I'll go with that. :)
US Army veteran
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
NCC

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2015, 09:32:59 AM »
Comp-tac makes some very nice gear. I carry a Walther PPQ almost every day and with their MTAC holster at 3:00 I completely forget it's there. The smaller Walther PPS completely disappears. Wife usually carries the PPS or a 1911 cmd and has no issues. Very comfortable, configurable and durable holsters. I've been wearing their belt for a few years also and it's still looks new! I can't say enough good about them really.

seniorgeek

• Life Member
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2015, 12:00:53 PM »
Before you make your purchase check out Crossbreed holsters. They are custom made to fit your firearm and are very comfortable. I use the mini-tuck and am extremely pleased.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NRA Member
Combat Veteran
Southeastern Sussex County