Author Topic: cheap ammo source  (Read 18462 times)

PPScarry

• Life Member
  • del ccdw license holder - NRA member
Re: cheap ammo source
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2016, 11:01:54 AM »
Appreciate the information.
"There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. "
Noah Webster
 American Lexicographer

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2016, 04:06:13 AM »
Heck, you can reload while sitting in a lazy-boy, one round at a time with a Lee Loader for $40 bucks plus bullets, primers and powder.  ;D This can also be used at the range to test loads on the spot.

It's as cheap or as expensive as you'd like. I started with a $40 Lee Loader 9mm, a small bottle of powder, a pack of 100 primers and some 9mm bullets for a couple more bucks. This was followed by a Lee Classic Turret kit (cast iron version, not the aluminum one) later with additional die sets, etc which is when your costs start adding up.

None of it really saves you money unless you buy supplies in bulk and reload a lot. It does however allow you to shoot more and more often.

If you want to actually give it a try pickup a Lee Loader online and some powder, primers and bullets locally. Total costs under $100 bucks and gives you an idea of what's involved. Better to learn then jumping on a progressive press and not understanding what's going on fully. Not sure what Chris carries but X-Ring can likely set you up with everything you need to start with quickly.

Tonym

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2016, 05:43:44 AM »
Amazon got me going with most of the supplies i needed for really good prices. They dont sell any actual components like primers or projectiles, but they have all the tools, dies and presses youll need.

I dont reload 9mm yet just because its still pretty cheap to buy but i save a ton of money reloading 45acp, 45.70, 500sw, 50AE, 308, 7.62x54r and 5.56. Now i can afford to shoot a lot of expensive guns for well under half what the cheapest store bought ammo cost per round.

Tonight for example i watched a few episodes of law and order and cranked out about 400 45s on a lee classic turret.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 10:54:19 PM by Tonym »

PPScarry

• Life Member
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2016, 10:52:22 AM »
Totally understand and it could put a 45 in my hands. I'm pretty good in my lazy boy, grip taped my pistols from there and they are beautiful. Been shooting 9mm and reloading will make it a little cheaper however I really want a 1911. I don't want it just to look at it either. 45 are not that expensive but enough so that reloading can make a difference. I like the idea of the Lee loader. I talked to a guy who said a group of like minded guys buy in bulk for each other because of hazmat charges and bulk is cheaper in the long haul. I have been trolling Amazon for the right loader. I also want to learn to reload rifle ammo.

Guess I will become a brass lady of the night.

I will not be casting my own bullets so that makes me feel better about the operation. A wealth of knowledge is what this website is and it is appreciated.
"There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. "
Noah Webster
 American Lexicographer

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2016, 11:58:53 AM »
Dont know what the others offer, but Dillon has a 100% NO B.S. warranty!

Several years ago wife bought me a set of dies from a local store.
One was missing from the set.  Dillon replaced it.

Once I bent a pin.  Called them and explained MY error.  Wanted to buy
the replacement part.  They said it's in the mail - would not take my $$$.

On a scale of 1 to 10, there are not enough numbers to express my satisfaction
with them.

I'm sure others here may have different brands and are equally satisfied.
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

PPScarry

• Life Member
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2016, 12:11:30 PM »
 Checked out the XL650 enough times it's now a pop up on certain websites! Youtube videos are making me feel a little more comfortable and have noticed a few guys making mistakes on their own machines!
Noah Webster
 American Lexicographer

PPScarry

• Life Member
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2016, 12:23:29 PM »
Don't worry, I will start with a single stage press before I start fooling with dies and the more expensive machines.
Noah Webster
 American Lexicographer

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2016, 02:19:42 PM »
Don't worry, I will start with a single stage press before I start fooling with dies and the more expensive machines.

Why?

I started out with the best machine I could afford at the time, it is a 550B.  I figured if I took the money I was
willing to invest in a less expensive machine then I'd have to save to get back to where I was at the time of
purchasing the 550B.
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2016, 05:41:37 PM »
I will not be casting my own bullets so that makes me feel better about the operation. A wealth of knowledge is what this website is and it is appreciated.
I forgot to mention that there is some exposure to lead, i.e., lead styphnate, from primers, both when firing and handling/cleaning.  A quick web search pulled up the thread http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-138308.html
Read AZ Jeff's second comment which is twelfth in the thread.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 05:44:17 PM by Cbmarine »
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

PPScarry

• Life Member
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2016, 06:47:34 PM »
Thanks CB, Maybe I will jump in with the XL. My wife said the same thing as you Radnor. All the youtube videos say to start with a single press but then again if you're not paying attention and double the powder by accident........automatic dispensing can be safer. Just a thought.
Noah Webster
 American Lexicographer

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2016, 10:37:01 PM »
NO DISTRACTIONS while loading.

If a distraction STOP, deal with it then, CHECK EVERYTHING when you start back up.

robberbaron

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2016, 11:17:12 PM »
I agree. I have a dedicated loading bench in my basement and no one is allowed to talk to me while loading. I learned the hard way- several squibs and even an overcharge in the early days. Not any more. I don't see any logic in buying a single stage press, even as a first press. The turret press is only a little more money and can be used a single stage, if you want to start slow. You can also load one round at a time in the progressive press. That is how I started when I upgraded. Easy to inspect each operation, especially the powder charge. Now I am up and running in full progressive and for the most part, things are good for the .45 ACP. I picked up dies and a shell plate from Cabella's over the weekend and will dive into 9mm soon.

PPScarry

• Life Member
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2016, 01:44:37 AM »
I don't want to learn the hard way :o, and I hide from my wife all the time - no distractions. ;D

Looks like a little over a thousand dollar investment (I like the progressive auto indexing five station with the 223 conversion) and pays for itself pretty fast. I can see the advantage after initial investment. Looks like fun trying to set up.

Noah Webster
 American Lexicographer

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2016, 01:49:49 AM »
Thanks CB, Maybe I will jump in with the XL. My wife said the same thing as you Radnor. All the youtube videos say to start with a single press but then again if you're not paying attention and double the powder by accident........automatic dispensing can be safer. Just a thought.
I've always selected the slower powders where a double charge would overflow.
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

PPScarry

• Life Member
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2016, 01:58:48 AM »
Reading my mind as far as double charge. Scary term "catastrophic failure of handgun". Causes shrinkage too.
Noah Webster
 American Lexicographer