Author Topic: Giving up getting my DE CCW...  (Read 9175 times)

FLCL2

Giving up getting my DE CCW...
« on: January 02, 2016, 01:37:18 AM »
Moved to DE 3 years ago to go to nursing school here. Just graduated a few weeks ago, so after my boards, was gonna find a job and settle down somewhere.

Like some folks here, the biggest obstacle for me to get my DECCW are those 5 references. I'm sure this was intentional. Being a law-abiding citizen with zero criminal or even traffic violations isn't enough. I guess being surrounded by MD,DC, and NJ, DE would be somewhat affected by their influence.

I feel like my best course of action is to take advantage of the work-around regarding non-DE residents, and move back to MD, then apply for the God simple Florida permit which would allow me to carry in DE. Since its impossible to get a MD permit anyways, at least I'll be as disarmed as every other non-criminal.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 01:40:33 AM by FLCL2 »

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
Re: Giving up getting my DE CCW...
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 03:07:51 PM »
The 5 references are a real obsticle for new comers. 

Believe it or not this and the newspaper notice are not new. This
Has been the law since at least 1914.

In fact it used to be 6 references in your election district. 

It was changed to 5 in your county in the 1980s.

I really feel bad that you would leave Delaware because of this.  It and the newspaper thing really need to be changed. This law was written before we had the background checks we have now and is way outdated.  In fact the newspaper thing may be unique in the USA.
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

29thInfantry

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 04:04:15 PM »
Correct me if I am wrong but aren't you requierd to have your home state license to get a non resident permit in any state in which you do not reside?  It is next to impossible to get a permit in MD without a fully justifed and documented reason or carry large sums of money and then you have to provide documintation for that and it is still a may issue. 
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

CorBon

• Life Member
  • The Revolution starts in your heart...
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 04:24:12 PM »
Correct me if I am wrong but aren't you requierd to have your home state license to get a non resident permit in any state in which you do not reside?  It is next to impossible to get a permit in MD without a fully justifed and documented reason or carry large sums of money and then you have to provide documintation for that and it is still a may issue. 

Unless they've changed -- and I'm too lazy to look right now!!! -- then Florida does not require you to have a permit in your situs state.  Basically, they view resident and non-resident as the same.  This may have changed, but you also may recall the uproar over the guy on a bus in Philly who couldn't get an in-state PA permit, but got one via Florida -- which was totally permissible even on PA at the time.  Pennsylvania has since chaged the applicable law.
Very few guns are actually "illegal guns."  A gun misappropriated by a criminal is no more of an "illegal gun" than a stolen car is an "illegal car."

CorBon

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 04:36:22 PM »
Moved to DE 3 years ago to go to nursing school here. Just graduated a few weeks ago, so after my boards, was gonna find a job and settle down somewhere.

Like some folks here, the biggest obstacle for me to get my DECCW are those 5 references. I'm sure this was intentional. Being a law-abiding citizen with zero criminal or even traffic violations isn't enough. I guess being surrounded by MD,DC, and NJ, DE would be somewhat affected by their influence.

I feel like my best course of action is to take advantage of the work-around regarding non-DE residents, and move back to MD, then apply for the God simple Florida permit which would allow me to carry in DE. Since its impossible to get a MD permit anyways, at least I'll be as disarmed as every other non-criminal.
Not trying to be unkind or anything, but is there any reason that any of your fellow former classmates wouldn't sign for this?  I do realize that it is a touchy subject, but it's worth a try.  Probably the most beneficial part of that is the fact that they've known you for multiple years, as opposed to someone that you just met at WaWa, or online.  Also, "families" tend to be a good source, so if you could get a husband/wife combo or something like that -- that covers a lot of ground. 

That being said, MOST people that I know have absolutely no idea about me having any firearms, let alone me carrying a firearm.  It's not that I am ashamed of it or anything, I just try not bringing it up.  Also, in conversations with these folks, I tend not to mention what color underwear that I have on.  So, I understand any reluctance that you may have with discussing this with classmates, instructors, professors, and/or staff.

Are you currently working?  If so, consider how long that you have been there, and whether any of those folks may be candidates.  Here's the thing, you may not want them to know, but if you are already working there now, your employer MAY be contacted during the review of your application.  So, if they don't know now, they may know later.  If that's the case, perhaps some folks there can be of assistance to you.
Very few guns are actually "illegal guns."  A gun misappropriated by a criminal is no more of an "illegal gun" than a stolen car is an "illegal car."

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2016, 04:40:28 PM »
Where do you currently go to shoot?  Anyone there sign for you?
Classmates?

It's not that hard, if you try.
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

29thInfantry

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2016, 12:09:18 AM »

Are you currently working?  If so, consider how long that you have been there, and whether any of those folks may be candidates.  Here's the thing, you may not want them to know, but if you are already working there now, your employer MAY be contacted during the review of your application.  So, if they don't know now, they may know later.  If that's the case, perhaps some folks there can be of assistance to you.
[/quote]

I did use the owner of the company I work for and one of the other higher ups for 2 of my references they were more than happy to fill one out for me. 
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

Clarence

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2016, 12:36:36 AM »

You can apply for Florida, or Arizona by mail. You do not have to have a home state license.  Utah will not issue without a residence license if they have a reciprocity agreement with that state. Delaware has an agreement but Maryland of course does not. 

Your biggest problem with being a Maryland resident is that you couldn't legally transport your handgun to Delaware except under some very specific exemptions.

29thInfantry

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2016, 01:15:38 AM »
I felt the same way you do about the references but when I started talking to people about what I was going to do and told them what I needed people were more than happy to fill one out for me.  You will never know unless you ask. 
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2016, 03:12:24 AM »

I'm sorry but I've gotta ask... Have you asked anyone? Do you own a handgun and go to any ranges? Have you thought of joining a club where a group shoots together once a week? Have you made any friends in 3 years and mentioned guns to any of them to catch their reactions? Classmates? Etc... Really, living here for 3 years and you don't know anyone to ask? Or is it more that you're not sure if you should ask?

Don't take this wrong as I'm sincerely asking.

We moved here to Delaware almost 5 years ago, didn't give it a thought for the first and the second year started reading up on the process and then applying at almost two years. We do not socialize much and knew most of our neighbors simply by saying hello while outdoors in passing. When it came time to find references I was nervous to ask however had a dozen people willing to sign them for the us (wife and I) and not a single person batted an eye or said no. We live in a newer upper/mid class deeded neighborhood where most people keep to themselves for the most part. Heck.. I'm from Canada and simply bringing up the topic of guns, let alone asking people I hardly knew to vouch for my character for a carry permit was down right daunting to me! I was honestly shocked at how open and easy people felt about the issue.

We wound up having the couple next door, the couple 2 doors over and another neighbor visiting the second couple while I was there , fill out our reference forms.

I agree 100% that the references and the newspaper ad hold people back and offer up difficulty for those new to the state. I also think they should be removed from the requirements for the safety of those who do apply. Look at the Middletown paper every Thursday and you'll see a 1/2 dozen to a dozen addresses where you're pretty much guaranteed to find a firearm if you're a bad guy.

I see zero benefits of moving to a state like MD if you want to carry a firearm. Even with a FL permit the hassle you'd need to go through and the issues if ever pulled over in MD with a handgun.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out. It really is a great thing to have even if the process makes you uncomfortable getting those references.

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2016, 03:28:39 PM »
Your biggest problem with being a Maryland resident is that you couldn't legally transport your handgun to Delaware except under some very specific exemptions.

I must have missed that law, please send a link so I can be up to date on it.  Once member crosses the check point from Marylandstand to Delaware, member can load up
and OC if they wish (EXCEPT Dover without letter from the chief).

Going from DE to Marylandstand, I agree with your quote.
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

CorBon

• Life Member
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2016, 06:10:43 PM »

I must have missed that law, please send a link so I can be up to date on it.  Once member crosses the check point from Marylandstand to Delaware, member can load up

See, generally, Md. C. ยง4-203, for transporting a firearm. Notice that the exceptions do not speak to Maryland residents driving to Delaware to take advantage of their Florida permits.  Without doing research, it's hard to say what the outcome would be, but it only takes the alignment of a few bad things to get a bad result. 

That being said, I do know of people doing just what is being discussed, so it's just worth noting that it may not be permissible.  Also, as a Maryland resident, he wouldn't just be "passing through" Maryland.

Clarence

• Life Member
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2016, 07:12:57 PM »

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/frmStatutesText.aspx?article=gcr&section=4-203&ext=html&session=2015RS
Unless going to a range, gunsmith or a few other exemptions you my not transport a handgun in a vehicle in Maryland.  The federal FOPA is not going to help as the journey would have begun in Maryland. 

Tonym

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2016, 07:52:51 PM »
Instead of MD have you looked into crossing the northern line into PA instead? Their gun laws and requirements for a carry permit are very good

kent

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2016, 08:06:52 PM »
If you live in Maryland and you are en route to Delaware (but) you stop for gas or a burger while still in Maryland you are no longer en route to Delaware. You could be stopped by the police. It's my understanding Maryland's meaning of en route is to go DIRECTLY to your destination.
NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER
DSSA LIFE MEMBER
KENT COUNTY