Author Topic: Giving up getting my DE CCW...  (Read 9262 times)

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
Re: Giving up getting my DE CCW...
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2016, 09:42:03 PM »
If you live in Maryland and you are en route to Delaware (but) you stop for gas or a burger while still in Maryland you are no longer en route to Delaware. You could be stopped by the police. It's my understanding Maryland's meaning of en route is to go DIRECTLY to your destination.
If you are referring to the federal Firearms Owners Protection Act, this wil be of no use in your home state.  Carry has to be legal at both ends.  

Example: going from Delaware to Vermont.  Passing through New Jersey, new York, Connecticut and Massachusetts you would be good because carrying unloaded and in trunk  is legal in both states.  Maryland is not legal.  This even though posessing an unloaded inaccesable handgun is illegal in those intermediate states.  You may of course stop for gas or eat, but the firearm must remain unloaded in trunk.  If vehicle does not have a trunk it must be away from the driver in a locked container.  

In fact Delaware is the only state around here that you may transport a handgun in your vehicle without s license routinely.  Pennsylvania, Maryland and Nee Jersey forbid transporting even an unloaded and inaccesable handgun without a license with some exceptions.  
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 09:52:42 PM by Clarence »
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

kent

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2016, 10:24:42 PM »
FLCL2, The exact laws are confusing for all of us, state by state by state. I feel you will find 5 references in Delaware. :)
NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER
DSSA LIFE MEMBER
KENT COUNTY

CorBon

• Life Member
  • The Revolution starts in your heart...
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2016, 10:55:59 PM »
If you live in Maryland and you are en route to Delaware (but) you stop for gas or a burger while still in Maryland you are no longer en route to Delaware. You could be stopped by the police. It's my understanding Maryland's meaning of en route is to go DIRECTLY to your destination.
If you are referring to the federal Firearms Owners Protection Act, this wil be of no use in your home state.  Carry has to be legal at both ends.  

Example: going from Delaware to Vermont.  Passing through New Jersey, new York, Connecticut and Massachusetts you would be good because carrying unloaded and in trunk  is legal in both states.  Maryland is not legal.  This even though posessing an unloaded inaccesable handgun is illegal in those intermediate states.  You may of course stop for gas or eat, but the firearm must remain unloaded in trunk.  If vehicle does not have a trunk it must be away from the driver in a locked container.  

In fact Delaware is the only state around here that you may transport a handgun in your vehicle without s license routinely.  Pennsylvania, Maryland and Nee Jersey forbid transporting even an unloaded and inaccesable handgun without a license with some exceptions.  

There is a possibility that he was referring to the applicable Maryland code, as in transporting it to Delaware for one of the enumerated exceptions.  There appears to be some confusion in Maryland as to whether any stops are permitted. 
Very few guns are actually "illegal guns."  A gun misappropriated by a criminal is no more of an "illegal gun" than a stolen car is an "illegal car."