Author Topic: Basic pistol class  (Read 5754 times)

8thFA

Basic pistol class
« on: January 04, 2016, 07:22:54 PM »
I just took my concealed carry class, but I'm thinking about taking the NRA basic pistol class.  For those who've taken it, was it worth the money?  Looks like 150 bucks for the class, or would you recommend I take something else?  

Also, any recommendations for where to take the class?   I live in NCC.

For a bit of a background, I grew up with rifles and shotguns, used an M-16 in the Army, but have only been using a semi-automatic handgun for a few months.  I'd like to get some help with my firing technique to tighten up my groupings and accuracy.

Trying to decide if taking the basic pistol class is the way to go.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 10:54:59 PM by 8thFA »
US Army veteran
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
NCC

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
Re: Basic pistol class
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 10:01:25 PM »
Radnor (on this forum) is an NRA certified instructor and is always offering these classes.
New Castle County

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 12:29:23 PM »
HONESTLY, would love your money for the class.  With your background, doubt you will get anything new from it.

Don't know who you took your course from, and NOT ASKING.  But, if they covered everything in 1441a-j you have
most of NRA BP.

We use NRA BP as the CORE for our CCDW class.  It covers 2/3 of 1441a-j.  Then cover the last 1/3 for Delaware.
Also FYI, NRA BP will be changing SOON (if not already).  Most of it will be online, then you find an instructor and (s)he
will conduct a review and then the shooting portion.

Other than to reach more people, I don't understand WHY they are going to the blended format.  When we hold instructor
(I am A TC) level classes our lesson plans state if a person hears something they retain about 10% of the material.  If you
see it, 25 %.  If you DO it, 65%.  All of their courses were heavy in TPI (total participant involvement) - DOING IT!

I see you're in NCC.  Are you busy on Monday nights? 1st one will be @ 5:30 (qualifying).  Then others @ 6:00.  Cost: $5.00/night (non-member).
We shoot action pistol.  For 2 weeks, it's 3 pistol courses.  Then for 2 weeks, it's 2 pistol and 1 carbine.  Need a strong side holster.  If you have CCDW
you can start concealed.  If not, MUST start OC (felony otherwise).  Have simulated car jackings, hostage taken, home invasion, bathroom stall, etc.
We've shot in full light, low light, no light, and by flash light.  The guy who runs it picks up on news stories and tries to incorporate them.  Advancing
towards a target(s) or retreating from, you name it we've probably shot it.  Sometimes it's head to head.  One course last night there were 2 targets
separated by a bowling pin.  Shoot pin, left plate, pin (now moving!), right plate.  Repeat 2 more times.  Winner gets 0 points, loser 20 (low score wins).

If you or anyone else is interested, PM me and I will give you my contact info.

The guy I teach with will hold private lessons.  If interested in that, let me know and I will pass your info to him.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 03:07:08 PM by Radnor »
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

del elec

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 09:12:36 PM »
HONESTLY, would love your money for the class.  With your background, doubt you will get anything new from it.

Don't know who you took your course from, and NOT ASKING.  But, if they covered everything in 1441a-j you have
most of NRA BP.

We use NRA BP as the CORE for our CCDW class.  It covers 2/3 of 1441a-j.  Then cover the last 1/3 for Delaware.
Also FYI, NRA BP will be changing SOON (if not already).  Most of it will be online, then you find an instructor and (s)he
will conduct a review and then the shooting portion.

Other than to reach more people, I don't understand WHY they are going to the blended format.  When we hold instructor
(I am A TC) level classes our lesson plans state if a person hears something they retain about 10% of the material.  If you
see it, 25 %.  If you DO it, 65%.  All of their courses were heavy in TPI (total participant involvement) - DOING IT!

I see you're in NCC.  Are you busy on Monday nights? 1st one will be @ 5:30 (qualifying).  Then others @ 6:00.  Cost: $5.00/night (non-member).
We shoot action pistol.  For 2 weeks, it's 3 pistol courses.  Then for 2 weeks, it's 2 pistol and 1 carbine.  Need a strong side holster.  If you have CCDW
you can start concealed.  If not, MUST start OC (felony otherwise).  Have simulated car jackings, hostage taken, home invasion, bathroom stall, etc.
We've shot in full light, low light, no light, and by flash light.  The guy who runs it picks up on news stories and tries to incorporate them.  Advancing
towards a target(s) or retreating from, you name it we've probably shot it.  Sometimes it's head to head.  One course last night there were 2 targets
separated by a bowling pin.  Shoot pin, left plate, pin (now moving!), right plate.  Repeat 2 more times.  Winner gets 0 points, loser 20 (low score wins).

If you or anyone else is interested, PM me and I will give you my contact info.

The guy I teach with will hold private lessons.  If interested in that, let me know and I will pass your info to him.
Action Pistol is also held on the 2nd and 4th Wednesday evenings. Either day is a great time.
[]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]
------)_'_\ * (
"----------\ * \
"-----------\_*_\
Life NRA
Shooters Choice
Bridgeville Rifle & Pistol Club
DE CCDW
PA LTCF
MD Wear & Carry

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 01:56:26 AM »
Radnor.. You have a website or anything detailing the courses you teach, locations, costs?

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 11:53:29 AM »
No sorry.  Dont have a web site.  Being small, I can put on a site anything I want you to believe is true.
Mainly referrals (which we get.  must be doing something right).  If we fail to deliver our students will not refer us
to friends and family.

The CCDW is usually on Sundays.  Just off of RT1 before tolls.  $200  (+ $25  if you want photos and AZ prints/application)

As far as NRA instructor courses pistol, rifle, and shotgun.  Done at a boy scout camp near Seaford.
Prices for it vary.  First one is most expensive because need BIT (basic instructor training - how to teach NRA courses, use of TM, etc).
Discounts for scout affiliated.  Meals and lodging included.
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2016, 12:47:20 AM »
Thanks for the info