Author Topic: Question about Reference Form  (Read 11482 times)

horaceunit

Question about Reference Form
« on: January 12, 2016, 11:49:09 PM »
I joined over a year ago but have finally gotten serious about obtaining my CCW. I have a question I have not found an answer to. For the Reference form that you have 5 people fill out should it be hand written or, since the form is online and can be filled out and printed, should it be typed? I figure that I can fill in my information and then print them and then let my references hand write the rest, but can the whole thing be typed and the person then just sign and date it? Just curious as I think it would look more professional typed out, but wonder if it would be better to have the actual reference appear more authentic hadn written. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Oh, I'm in Sussex County if that has any bearing.

MarkB

• Life Member
Re: Question about Reference Form
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 11:57:48 PM »
I don't think it really matters.  DE is after the content, not the appearance.  Just as long as the form can be read.
NRA Benefactor Member
USCG, 1963-1967, GM-3

29thInfantry

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 11:59:17 PM »
I would not pre fill anything out on them and just have your references fill them out by hand.  Having them typed then printed my cause a red flag maybe that is just me over thinking it.  I am sure others will give their opinion also.
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

horaceunit

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 12:03:30 AM »
That's sort of what I was thinking that someone may think it wasn't really done by someone and just filled out. Of course it would be signed and dated by them, but..... Not sure.

29thInfantry

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 12:06:58 AM »
Make sure the reason is as stated in the law " for personal protection or the protection of the person's property" for the reason you are applying for the permit on the reference forms and on the application.  There should be no other explanation given.  I had a friend have one of his references put on there that he was a business owner ect. He wound up having to give up all of his information about his business which was a big headache.  So make sure that only that statement in quotations is the reason for applying for the permit.
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

horaceunit

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 12:11:21 AM »
That is why I am leaning toward filling out on the form online everything except the actual reference and the signature and date which would be hand written by my reference. Still not sure that is the best way but your point makes it seem like a better idea.

29thInfantry

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2016, 12:21:35 AM »
Give it a shot see how it works I don't know of anyone that has done it that way.  I would be worried about them questioning if the references were valid because they were all typed out again I tend to overthink things at times.  You could always call them and ask if that would be acceptable to have them typed out. 
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2016, 12:42:15 AM »
I agree with you Horace. Print the blank reference forms and let your folks fill them out with a pen. Easiest way to do it.
Cheers.
New Castle County

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2016, 12:42:46 AM »
I just did one for a friend. He put his info in, and Emailed the form to me. I typed my answers in, printed it, and signed it.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2016, 12:52:39 AM »
My opinion for what it's worth is just to have them fill it out and put the reason THEY feel you should have a carry license.

Filling in the blanks for them to me raises flags and looks like "pencil whipping "
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2016, 02:31:25 AM »
My opinion for what it's worth is just to have them fill it out and put the reason THEY feel you should have a carry license.

Filling in the blanks for them to me raises flags and looks like "pencil whipping "
Agree. A pre-filled form implies that the reference doesn't actually know your reason for applying. 
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

lynch

• Life Member
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2016, 08:58:03 AM »
 Your references don't have to know your reason for applying. I told all my reference to just check the box marked "NO".
I had no problems and none of my references were contacted.
DE ccdw
PA  LTCF
Utah CFP
NRA member

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2016, 11:39:31 AM »
One the front page of the questionnaire you can fill out YOUR name, addr, csz, etc.  Up to the BOLD line.  After that it IS IN THEIR handwriting!

Make 7 copies.  Someone will screw one up, you'll have an extra.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 11:41:22 AM by Radnor »
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

seniorgeek

• Life Member
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2016, 01:04:55 PM »
One the front page of the questionnaire you can fill out YOUR name, addr, csz, etc.  Up to the BOLD line.  After that it IS IN THEIR handwriting!

Make 7 copies.  Someone will screw one up, you'll have an extra.

This is absolutely correct. Follow Radnor's advice.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NRA Member
Combat Veteran
Southeastern Sussex County

horaceunit

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2016, 04:52:57 PM »
Radnor, thanks that is kind of what I was thinking made the most sense. Fill my info out and then print it and let the reference fill out the rest. Sounds like that is they way to go.