Author Topic: Question about Reference Form  (Read 11483 times)

horaceunit

Re: Question about Reference Form
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2016, 05:06:40 PM »
I just went and looked at the online form and I see where the bar is at the top. The thing that is a bit confusing is that you can fill the rest of the form out so it almost seems as though you should in a way. Except, of course, the actual questions that someone else would obviously have to answer. As part of that did anyone have your references add anything in the additional space box like "oh what a wonderful person so and so is..." or just answer the questions briefly and that is it?

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2016, 11:32:18 PM »
Your references don't have to know your reason for applying. I told all my reference to just check the box marked "NO".
I had no problems and none of my references were contacted.
Not a risk that I would take when it is simple to have them quote Article I, Section 20.  As Clarence pointed out, the semblance of "pencil whipping" can highlight your app for additional scrutiny.

Concerning laudatory comments, quoting a fact might be useful such as community association president, local pastor/priest/rabbi, or similar significant position but is unnecessary, IMO.
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

lynch

• Life Member
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2016, 09:10:39 AM »
I told them to check the "NO" box because they truly did not know my reason for applying. And none of them asked. I was told on good authority that this was the best way to go. I would think telling them to quote some article would look more like "pencil whipping" and raise suspicions than just saying truthfully that they didnt know.
DE ccdw
PA  LTCF
Utah CFP
NRA member

horaceunit

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2016, 01:34:13 PM »
Thanks for all the great info! I guess the other thing is to take the class and get some of these questions answered then! Trying to get everything in order and have it almost done when I go to take the class in a couple of weeks. I've already decided to take the class and not worry about what happens with the CCW as the training is useful in either case.

horaceunit

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2016, 03:44:44 PM »
Well I have 4 of my reference forms filled out and the other one I have contacted and will be getting together with this weekend. Fingerprinting is scheduled for next week and the ad in the guide will run this week. I have the CCW class scheduled for the end of February which I am going to take regardless as I'm sure it's good info and training to have. The only thing I still have left is to get the passport type photos which is not a big deal. I am thinking that once I have the fingerprint/background check done I might as well go ahead and file the paperwork. I know that you can wait and if approved then submit the cert for the training, but can you file the cert as soon as you get it as well? I realize you can also just wait until the class is taken and file everything together, but I won't be taking the class until a month after I have all the other requirements so I can't see waiting that long. After that is is better to wait until contacted to file the class certification, or file everything else and then file the class cert as soon as you get it?

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2016, 05:30:19 PM »
When in Feb is your class?

We offer the option to our students for the photos and AZ finger printing/application.

You could submit it (certificate) after you receive it.  You MUST submit the original and a copy.
It should speed it up a little VS  waiting for the approval letter then submitting the certificate.
BEST option would be a COMPLETE packet of all the required material.
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

horaceunit

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2016, 09:44:19 PM »
Radnor, thanks for all your help on several posts! My class is Feb. 27. From your signature line you are in NCC? I'm in Sussex, Lewes, actually. I figured it was the best option to do the whole package together, but since I will be finished with everything but the class I was thinking on getting a head start and submit the class cert when I get it.

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2016, 11:43:09 AM »
With Marino tactical?  If so tell Barry I said hello.  Barry was in our NRA Instructor class at Hensen Scout Reservation.
Not sure if Kirk was too or not, would have to look at course reports.
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

seniorgeek

• Life Member
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2016, 11:51:08 AM »
I took my course with Marino Tactical and it was complete and a good one day course. Kirk and Barry did a very good job explaining all the necessary items for the class plus I had a good time doing the scenarios they set up for us. I would recommend Kirk and Barry if you are looking for a place to take the course.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 08:32:12 PM by seniorgeek »
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NRA Member
Combat Veteran
Southeastern Sussex County

horaceunit

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2016, 05:47:01 PM »
It is with Marino Tactical but I am not sure who will be giving the class at this point.

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2016, 10:37:02 PM »
I also took the course thru Kirk at Marino Tactical.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

lynch

• Life Member
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2016, 09:00:42 AM »
I took my course at Marino Tactical, also. Barry was the instructor.
They are offering the Utah class now, which includes fingerprints and photo. A $25 discount for those who took thier CCW course with them.
When you call to reserve a spot just tell them the date you took the CCW course.
DE ccdw
PA  LTCF
Utah CFP
NRA member

horaceunit

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2016, 05:30:45 PM »
If anyone is still looking here is another question! I had asked several people to fill out the form and had already gotten 5 forms for my package. A couple of people had said OK but I hadn't heard and didn't want to push but I just got a couple more in the last couple of days so now I have 7 questionnaires. Obviously I will use the 5 best ones (i.e. the ones that have the longest amount of time they have known me) but would it make sense to include them all? I don't want it to look like I am pushing or anything so would it make more sense to keep them in case there is a question on any of the other ones I have a couple of back ups? Patiently waiting to finish my class!

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2016, 05:51:55 PM »
Dont think it will make any difference.  I'd just include 5.

horaceunit

« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2016, 10:58:23 PM »
Thanks Radnor! I'll keep two in reserve just in case!