Author Topic: National Concealed Carry Reciprocity Legislation  (Read 116359 times)

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
National Concealed Carry Reciprocity Legislation
« on: January 13, 2016, 11:51:26 PM »
Currently there are 3 bills before the US House of Representatives, and 1 before the US Senate, to establish a National Concealed Carry Reciprocity covering legal carry od guns nation wide, The basis is this. If you have a concealed carry permit issued by your home state it would be good in all states that require a concealed carry permit. If a state has a concealed carry permit law, they must recognize your out of state permit. That would mean that states like MD, PA, Etc. would have to let DE. permit holders carry in their state. If a state does not allow a conceal carry in their state, they would not be forced to let people carry. Then there are some states that allow concealed carry without a permit.
This would not change the responsibility of the carrier in these states. You would be responsible for knowing and following the specific laws of that state you were in.

The following are the bills I speak of:

SB. 498

HR. 402

HR. 923

HR. 986

All bills and their Co-Sponsors are available on-line.

I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

29thInfantry

• Life Member
Re: National Concealed Carry Reciprocity Legislation
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 12:09:22 AM »
That would be nice it would eliminate having to get multiple permits to carry around.  Sounds like this would defeat the VA non recip that goes into effect next month.  Hopefully it does not get swept under the rug.  Good to see you around Strum!!!
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

seniorgeek

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2016, 03:33:42 PM »
Currently there are 3 bills before the US House of Representatives, and 1 before the US Senate, to establish a National Concealed Carry Reciprocity covering legal carry od guns nation wide, The basis is this. If you have a concealed carry permit issued by your home state it would be good in all states that require a concealed carry permit. If a state has a concealed carry permit law, they must recognize your out of state permit. That would mean that states like MD, PA, Etc. would have to let DE. permit holders carry in their state. If a state does not allow a conceal carry in their state, they would not be forced to let people carry. Then there are some states that allow concealed carry without a permit.
This would not change the responsibility of the carrier in these states. You would be responsible for knowing and following the specific laws of that state you were in.

The following are the bills I speak of:

SB. 498

HR. 402

HR. 923

HR. 986

All bills and their Co-Sponsors are available on-line.

I have sent a letter to both senators and Carney to support these bills, but I don't expect them to do so as they will follow the liberal agenda.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NRA Member
Combat Veteran
Southeastern Sussex County

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2016, 05:37:31 PM »
Sad, but not worth the stamp you put on the envelope.  They will do as THEY please.
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2016, 06:16:49 PM »
Rep. Steve King (R-IA-4) has signed on to 2 National Reciprocity bill before Congress. HR. 923 (48 co-sponsors) and HR. 986  (197 co-sponsors)

Bet you'll never see a Delaware Democrat on any such bill.

DECCW Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2016, 07:28:19 PM »
https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/house-bill/986/text

On March 15th Rep. Joseph R. Pitts (R-PA-16) and Rep. Lee M. Zeldin (R-NY-1) signed on to HR 986 bringing the total to 201 Members of the US House of Representatives to co-sponsor this bill.

DECCW Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2016, 09:24:27 PM »
I wouldn't hold my breath on this. This congress was elected with major help from gun owners and they have done zip to put anything pro gun out there.

Of course if congress did pass this bill, it would be immediately vetoed by Obama.

Our only hope is to elect a Liberty Loving Republican in November and hold the house and senate.

Oh and might I add, the next 3 or 4 Supreme Court justices. 

« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 12:54:29 AM by Clarence »
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2016, 10:36:08 PM »
Exactly!

DECCW Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative

rikwick

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2016, 11:12:57 PM »
Although I believe in National Reciprocity, the idea of it coming by way of the Fed's makes me nervous (not to be confused with paranoid).  I think the Federal government is big enough now without taking more power that should be left in the hands of each state.  I'm just saying "careful what we wish for." 8)

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2016, 01:01:57 PM »
If there is to be such a law there needs to be some kind of protection for when you violate an administrative firearm regulation in another state.  Some states would try to interfere with legal carriers by imposing a cumbersome bureaucratic maze of rules hoping to turn legal carriers into felons and thereby intimidating legal carriers from carrying in that state (think New Jersey or Washington DC).  I could see something such as a traffic ticket type of action or something similar to a summons you can get in some places for small amounts of marijuana, rather than arrest and incarceration for violating simple, non-criminal rules.  There should also be some basic, clear cut, across the board rules that all states would have to abide by that cannot be legislated away by the states.  After these basics are met then the state can add their particular idiosyncrasies as they feel necessary. With today’s partisanship this would be nearly impossible.

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2016, 04:30:40 PM »
This law will be like your drivers license. You will still have abide by the individual states concealed carry laws, and it will be your responsibility to know them. But it will make states like Maryland and Illinois allow permit holders from other state carry there, just because those states do have a permit on the books.

This is an update to HR. 968 I received today:

https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/house-bill/986/cosponsors?pageSort=lastToFirst

DECCW Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2016, 03:28:18 PM »

I received an update saying that yesterday Rep. Gene Green (D-TX-29) signed up to co-sponsor HR. 968. He is the 4th Democrat and the 204th Representative to sign on.

DECCW Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative

Model10Todd

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2016, 06:15:39 PM »
If a state does not allow a conceal carry in their state, they would not be forced to let people carry.

I could see states such as MD and the likes doing away with CCW permits all together so as to not have to recognize another state's CCW.  Some excuse along the lines of.. other states aren't strict enough and we can't guarantee the safety of our citizens by screening that's done in another state, therefore for public safety we will do away with CCW altogether.  The old, take away your freedom to promise "safety" and result in neither.
DECCW Permit Holder
FL & PA N/R Permit Holder
NRA Member
DSSA Member
New Castle County

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2016, 08:33:57 PM »
MOdel10TODD,

MD. does have a concealed carry permit, but it is available to few. But still they do have one, which would mean as long as they do they would have to reciprocate with other states if the US Constitutional Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act is made law.

Here's something else you may not be aware of. Maryland House Bill 0369 co-sponsored by about 32 Delegates has been introduced and is in the Judiciary committee I believe. This Bill specifies that a permit to carry a handgun issued to an individual in Delaware, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Washington DC, or West Virginia is valid in Maryland.
You may want to go to a Maryland House Bill tracking site to keep an eye on this.

DECCW Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative

Model10Todd

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2016, 06:30:49 PM »
MOdel10TODD,

MD. does have a concealed carry permit, but it is available to few. But still they do have one, which would mean as long as they do they would have to reciprocate with other states if the US Constitutional Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act is made law.

Here's something else you may not be aware of. Maryland House Bill 0369 co-sponsored by about 32 Delegates has been introduced and is in the Judiciary committee I believe. This Bill specifies that a permit to carry a handgun issued to an individual in Delaware, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Washington DC, or West Virginia is valid in Maryland.
You may want to go to a Maryland House Bill tracking site to keep an eye on this.

Appreciate the info.  It looks like there's a push in MD to go the right direction. Let's hope it goes through.  Thanks again.
DECCW Permit Holder
FL & PA N/R Permit Holder
NRA Member
DSSA Member
New Castle County

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke