Author Topic: Walther PPS  (Read 17082 times)

PPScarry

• Life Member
  • del ccdw license holder - NRA member
Walther PPS
« on: January 30, 2016, 10:13:25 AM »
Nice pistol and the one gun I shoot straight every time. Don't really know why but it's true. It's my concealed carry gun. One of them anyway. ;)

Pros: great shooter, comes with a 7 & 8 round magazine, comes with 2 back straps, easy to breakdown and clean, no problems after thousands of rounds

Cons: although this pistol is slim it's not a subcompact with the 7&8 round magazine in my opinion. There are smaller pistols out there but this is a conceal carry option due to how slim it is however it is longer than a Glock 42/43 or a Ruger LC types for example

Overall this is a great gun and very reliable.
"There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. "
Noah Webster
 American Lexicographer

Adrenolin

• Life Member
Re: Walther PPS
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 08:25:03 AM »
Absolutely love the Walther PPS!  ;D I usually carry the PPQ but I've had the PPS for about 4 years now and its one fine little handgun. Wife used it for her ccdw range test and is her preferred carry. I always carry it with the 6 round flush bottomed mag and carry the 8 rounder as a spare. Wife carries it with the 7 rounders only. With the 6 round mag it'll disappear in a pocket almost as nicely as the LCP though of course not quite. Its very thin and I really like how its nearly perfectly flat. I have the LCP but its hardly ever touched because of the size and flatness of the PPS. Another thing I really like about it is how tightly designed it is! As soon as you feel it you know its a quality handgun and it has the heft of a solid metal gun instead of a poly.

I see it's sales growing since Walther has lowered the PPS price AND brought the PPS M2 out with the button release which most Americans prefer. I'll stick with the Classic paddle versions for the PPS and PPQ however.

Mine makes it to the range regularly for a couple mags and when I first purchased it I put several hundred rounds through it each trip as I wanted to test its reliability. Its never had a failure nor has the wife's. Very easy to shoot and, for me, one of the most accurate subcompacts on the market. Many online reviews say the same.

If anyone is in the market for a small firearm they should really drop by a store (ie pop by and see Chris) and check one out.

If Chris has a paddle version in next time I drop by I might have to pickup one more.  ;D

PPScarry

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 12:03:40 PM »
Chris is the man. Federal Firearms got you covered. My wife loves MY PPS. I think she wants MY gun instead of her Glock 42. With the lower price I may get her one. It is very affordable and a well made firearm.
"There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. "
Noah Webster
 American Lexicographer

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 04:38:13 AM »
Lol Tis the reason I bought a 2nd Classic PPS as the wife decided she liked mine so much.

Chris didn't gave one in but I picked up 2 rifles, a revolver and a few boxes of ammo from him instead  ;D

PPScarry

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 11:02:07 AM »
Awesome. Good to have a pistol packing wife. My wife wants long guns other than my shotgun. Going to make that happen eventually, need pistols right now, especially a 22 for the range and I want a 43 for my carry. I want to carry 2 pistols just in case one jams or I need to hand one off. You never know and if I'm going to carry I'm doing it right. 43 will fit in a pocket holster easily. PPS in my holster.
Noah Webster
 American Lexicographer

MarcWinkman

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 03:34:05 PM »
I'm loving my PPS M1.  Picked mine up from Chris at the end of last month and it's one heck of a little shooter.  To round out my carry package with it, I've added Talon Grip tape (really more to keep the back strap from popping out than anything else, but it does feel very nice) and some Tru Glo TFO night sights.  Fully good to go now. 

PPScarry

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2017, 11:15:09 PM »
I was worried about the paddle on my PPS, not because it is different but because of unloading the chambered bullet after I come home and unload. You are very close to the trigger. I have not had any problems but am very careful unloading. The trigger guard is necessary. Great shooting pistol.
Noah Webster
 American Lexicographer

MarcWinkman

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 06:18:55 PM »
I've never had an issue in that regard, but I do have smallish hands  ???

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2017, 02:13:02 PM »
Marc.. Why is the backstrap popping off? I have two and one has been fired quite a bit and I've never had that issue. If you put another one on does it pop off also?

For those who use the Walther paddles which hand/finger do you use to extract the mag?

I believe the manual says the thumb. Never liked that at all. Everything is done with my strong hand, which in my case in the Right hand. Index/trigger finger is pointing straight forward along the frame and slide unless firing. When empty my index finger goes back pointing straight ahead on the frame/slide. My middle finger comes up below it, hooks the paddle and pulls down releasing the mag and continuing back onto grip. My hand itself never has to readjust it's grip, as I have to do with button releases, and the index finger along the frame/slide is used to support & steady the firearm while this is done. Off hand, my left, is free the entire time to reach for a spare mag. Love the longer paddle lever on the PPS and PPQ over the shorter P99 and H&Ks. Every button release handgun I own or have fired my thumb has to reach to press it which in turn makes me have to readjust my grip afterwards. Maybe I too have small hands.. or just short thumbs.  ;D Regardless of which, I love the German paddle mag release as it's a 100% natural movement for me and much quicker then the button.

MarcWinkman

• Life Member
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2017, 07:36:01 PM »
I've not had my back strap pop off, but with the design of the gun and how they are removed (a little thumb button on the bottom that's generally covered by the mag floor plate). 

As for actuating the paddles, once my trigger finger goes straight along the frame, I just reach up a little bit with my middle finger the actuate the paddle.  I do the same for my HK's and my P99. I've not had any issue with this method and I find I don't have to break my grip on the gun to do this.  Of course, as with all things, YMMV.