Author Topic: Texas colleges' gun policy  (Read 2273 times)

ChrisCar

Texas colleges' gun policy
« on: February 25, 2016, 12:41:02 AM »
As most of you probably know, Texas law will soon allow licensed gun owners to carry firearms on state-college campuses.  When this was proposed, one of the criticisms was that it would have a chilling effect on education because nobody would want to speak freely or engage in intellectual debate with an armed student. 

So, the law doesn't go into effect until August, but the Univ of Houston has enacted a policy discouraging faculty from talking about "sensitive" topics.  I'm sure they think that's justified to avoid armed confrontation.   But you just know that once the law goes into effect, they'll say, "see, we were right, it is having a chilling effect."  Heck, they're already saying it.  Just look at the headline on this article (below) saying the law is putting a damper on academic debate. 

No, it's your irrational assumption that anyone with a gun must be dangerous, unstable and incapable of having an intelligent discussion.  That's what's going to stifle discourse.  <end of rant>

Link to article:  http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/texas-campus-carry-law-putting-damper-academic-debate-n525096
New Castle County
DE CCDW,  PA LTCF,  UT CFP
NRA Benefactor Member
DSSA Member

seniorgeek

• Life Member
Re: Texas colleges' gun policy
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 11:58:34 PM »

No, it's your irrational assumption that anyone with a gun must be dangerous, unstable and incapable of having an intelligent discussion.  That's what's going to stifle discourse.  <end of rant>

Link to article:  http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/texas-campus-carry-law-putting-damper-academic-debate-n525096

Totally agree. It is in that individuals perception not in others.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NRA Member
Combat Veteran
Southeastern Sussex County

robberbaron

Re: Texas colleges' gun policy
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 03:50:10 PM »
One of my favorite quotes, and I don't recall who said it first. is "If we are not to judge the actions of all Muslims by the actions of a few, can we not also extend the same courtesy to legal gun owners?" The libs hate guns. It doesn't matter who has them.