Author Topic: Firearm suggestions for the wife  (Read 10870 times)

ChrisCar

Firearm suggestions for the wife
« on: March 01, 2016, 01:10:59 AM »
Hi mates.  I'm seeking recommendations for a firearm for the wife.  She's very petite and hates the recoil on my Sig P320c and my Smith & Wesson 3913.   She's got it stuck in her head that a smaller firearm would be better.   She doesn't mind firing a .22.  And while any firearm is better than none, I don't like a .22 as an EDC firearm (she does not yet have her CCDW, but she's thinking about it). 

So I'm on the hunt for a potential carry firearm with modest recoil, but something chambered in a reasonable self-defense caliber.  All thoughts/suggestions welcome.  Thank you.
New Castle County
DE CCDW,  PA LTCF,  UT CFP
NRA Benefactor Member
DSSA Member

29thInfantry

• Life Member
Re: Firearm suggestions for the wife
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 03:28:24 AM »
Hi mates.  I'm seeking recommendations for a firearm for the wife.  She's very petite and hates the recoil on my Sig P320c and my Smith & Wesson 3913.   She's got it stuck in her head that a smaller firearm would be better.   She doesn't mind firing a .22.  And while any firearm is better than none, I don't like a .22 as an EDC firearm (she does not yet have her CCDW, but she's thinking about it). 

So I'm on the hunt for a potential carry firearm with modest recoil, but something chambered in a reasonable self-defense caliber.  All thoughts/suggestions welcome.  Thank you.

I am in the same boat you are.  She cannot fully rack the slide on my Ruger SR9C.  I really think it is a technique thing that we are working on.   We were going to go look at cabella's but we both got the Flu finely getting over the colds I think we may start looking this weekend.
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 11:38:46 AM »
Chris talk to John at the club.  He has a few Glocks.  See what fits her hands.
Sure if you brought the ammo, she could fire a few of them.  I dont think
he would mind, but you should ask him.
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Fishhunter911

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 01:16:19 PM »
Check out the Walther CCP line. Has reduced recoil and very easy to rack. My wife is has very small hands and when she picked it up at the Outdoor show a few weeks ago she was sold. After looking at the reviews it seems to be perfect for smaller people.

MarkB

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 04:03:03 PM »
Check the Remington RM380.  It's a .380 that has reduced felt recoil and the slide is very easy to use.  I have one and it is a good pocket gun.
NRA Benefactor Member
USCG, 1963-1967, GM-3

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 10:11:32 PM »
I read an article recently (wish I could find it) regarding techniques for racking the slide. Suggested that if you are having difficulty, to try putting your hand over the slide, with your palm across the top. Get a good grip, then push the pistol forward, instead of trying to pull the slide back. Also try turning the pistol 90°, so the sites are on the left side instead of the top. That may feel more natural.
Another thing, as mentioned, is low recoil ammo. But you need to be sure it will cycle the slide.
I'll try to find the article. It was well done.
New Castle County

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 10:17:50 PM »
Not the same article, but this is the general idea:
http://blog.cheaperthandirt.com/rack-slide-its-technique-strength/
New Castle County

ChrisCar

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2016, 11:17:59 PM »
Thanks for all the good suggestions/advice. 

She's ok with racking, she gets put-off by the kick/recoil.  As I said in the original post, she likes the little guns, but as we know, smaller gun doesn't equal smaller kick.   Maybe I'll take her to a range where we can rent her a few different models also. 

Thanks again.
New Castle County
DE CCDW,  PA LTCF,  UT CFP
NRA Benefactor Member
DSSA Member

MarkB

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2016, 11:27:34 PM »
Look at the Ruger ARX line of ammo.  It has a lighter recoil.  The ARX 380 recoil is lighter than the standard 380 rounds. 
NRA Benefactor Member
USCG, 1963-1967, GM-3

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2016, 11:42:28 PM »
Ruger makes their LCR in .327 Federal Magnum, which might provide less recoil but enough muzzle energy to do the job:
http://www.ruger.com/products/lcr/specSheets/5452.html
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2016, 12:31:18 AM »

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2016, 12:51:04 PM »
Agree on the Walther CCP or a 1911 Commander. The Walther CCP is a 9mm and due to it's gas delayed blowback design it is pretty easy to shoot, low recoil and easy to rack. I didn't like it myself however my wife does like it. She also has a Ruger SR1911 CMD that's a joy to shoot. It's extra weight eats up the recoil though to carry does require her to wear a good belt.

Small handguns are going to just punish her hands. I'd really suggest looking at the CCP for her.

RetCapt1994

• Life Member
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2016, 09:51:51 PM »
I have a Glock 42 (.380) in my Glock collection and it is a soft shooter and IMHO better than 22 for self defense. Maybe you should let your wife in on the push pull rack the slide thing. Grab the grip with the strong hand and push forward while pulling back with the opposite hand on the slide. Maybe I am not explaining correctly. Some folks just pull back on the slide and that is not the best way to completely rack it. I am sure someone on this site will assist you. Good luck and all the best to you and your wife.
Glock Armorer - Tavor Level One Armorer
It is all about bullet placement                          Carry permits, de ccw, and leosa/hr218  DELAWARE SUCKS----THE WORST STATE

29thInfantry

• Life Member
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2016, 10:19:21 PM »
My wife is getting better I think she needs to get over getting bitten by the slide.  I am trying to get her to realize she is not going to hurt the firearm and she can be rough with it.  She is not doing to bad as she was brought up in a family where guns are bad.   Just the fact that she will now handle it is a step in the right direction.  We are going to get together with some friends that have wives that shoot and let them do their thing.  There is also a womans only shoot coming up in philly all she needs to do is show up they provide the firearms and a lunch and is ran by women instructors.  dont know if you all can see this link or not https://www.facebook.com/thephillygunrange/photos/a.467209450019017.1073741825.415404851866144/1048453708561252/?type=3&theater
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2016, 10:30:04 PM »
Rule #1, never tell your wife what she needs. If it doesn't work out it's your fault, and wives don't forget or seldom forgive. Let her figure it out for herself. Happy wife, Happy life.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun