Author Topic: Round count - 9mm single stack VS. double stack  (Read 6521 times)

jaep1911

Round count - 9mm single stack VS. double stack
« on: February 26, 2016, 01:40:07 AM »
I have spent many hours watching youtube videos and reading various threads here and somewhere else but am still debating whether I should get a single stack or double stack.

Those latest compact guns such as the Walther PPS are very practical to carry around especially people like myself with a small frame but the round count is pretty limited even with an extended mag. From time to time, I read incidents that involve multiple attackers and that makes me think that I should carry a slightly larger gun that can hold ~15 rounds of 9mm. Something like the CZ PCR or even Glock 19 (service grade gun??). Yes, there is a significant jump in size and weight but me thinking it might be worth the trade-off.

I know that it all comes down to what I can/want to carry and no one can provide a right answer over the internet but I want to hear some thought and advice from experts with many years of experience and "trial and error".

Thank you in advance.

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
Re: Round count - 9mm single stack VS. double stack
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 01:52:52 AM »
You'll never think, after a firefight, "I wish I hadn't had SO much ammo!"

I'm a pessimist. My Glock 43 (single stack 9mm) is the backup-to-the-backup laptop bag gun.
I carry a Glock 29 and a spare magazine in a Safepacker for a total of 21 rounds of 10mm on my hip, and a Glock 20 with three spare mags for 61 more rounds in the center console.

So, yeah, I'm thinking double-stack.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

ChrisCar

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 02:04:28 AM »
I agree with OGG.  I'd  rather too much than too little.

I carry the Sig Sauer P320 compact in 9mm.   Double-stack mag holds 15 rounds in a very comfortable and concealable size/frame. 

New Castle County
DE CCDW,  PA LTCF,  UT CFP
NRA Benefactor Member
DSSA Member

PPScarry

• Life Member
  • del ccdw license holder - NRA member
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 02:16:14 AM »
The way I shoot my Walther PPS, I'm not changing. 15 rounds (8+7) can be dispatched almost as fast as 17 rounds. I just watched a video to that effect but can't find it yet. I will find it and post it.

I also carry a Beretta Px4 with two 17 round magazines in my vehicle, but I'd depend on my Walther. I can't conceal yet but open carry while driving. I like accuracy and the PPS does it for me. Just my preference not others here.
"There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. "
Noah Webster
 American Lexicographer

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 06:39:51 AM »
The Walther PPS has 6/7/8 round mags available for a possible 17 (8+1+8) rounds with a spare. When I carry the Classic PPS I carry with the flat base 6 rounder with +1 chambered and an 8 as a spare for 15 rounds. I wear the PPS for its great compactness hence the 6+1 plus 8. No difference then the countless people who carry a single stack 1911.

As much as I like the PPS I carry the Classic PPQ with 15+1 and a spare 17 round mag. I enjoy them both just as much but prefer the 33 rounds I have with it on me. Both handguns fit and function perfectly for me thankfully. Additional 15 or 17 round spare mags remain in most of my vehicles and when out with a backpack there is usually another mag or two there as well. I dislike carrying more then a single spare mag on my person though.

Often have a smaller 380, 38 or 357 tucked away as well as a backup or for someone else if needed. Please please.. never ever be needed!

8thFA

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2016, 09:55:46 AM »
I carry a springfield XDM 3.8 compact, 13 + 1, and just ordered a IWB mag carrier.  If my 19 + 1 extenda clip doesn't print from the carrier, I will be packing that too, but otherwise I will have another 13 round clip on me.  I went with the XDM because I wanted a higher ammo capacity.
US Army veteran
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
NCC

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2016, 11:49:54 AM »
I'm with OGG & Chris.  You'll never complain about having too much ammo if it is ever needed.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 02:01:32 PM by Radnor »
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Landmgr

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2016, 10:02:32 PM »
I agree with all these guys. I carry a G19 with a spare mag on the belt (31 rounds total). If you can conceal it ok, I would go with the double stack. The "printing" is caused by the grip, once you put a grip extension on to carry extra rounds, you might as well have the double stack larger grip. Just my opinion, it all depends on what you're comfortable with. Also, this mid-size gun is a great all around gun for ccw, target shooting, and home defense. Just fun to shoot and relatively accurate.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 10:16:56 PM by Landmgr »

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2016, 11:45:03 PM »
The public is CLUELESS if they see you printing.
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

jaep1911

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2016, 12:21:26 AM »
Thank you everyone! These are what I really wanted to hear. I will find a double stack gun that I can comfortably carry in my pants. I am fairly good at reloading as I shoot in IDPA or USPSA every weekend but I do not want to reply on reloading when I have multiple attackers. I would simply like to hose them down as quickly as I can squeeze the trigger :D :D

Be safe!

Obleo

• Life Member
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2016, 12:10:39 PM »
I need extensive training for sure.  But right now; if I'm in a firefight where I'm changing mags I am in WAY over my head.  I prefer evasion and escape as the first effort.
Proud resident of Kent County DE

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2016, 09:53:52 PM »
The public is CLUELESS if they see you printing.

Agreed.. I carry the Classic Walther PPQ all year round. Summertime I usually have just a t-shirt on and that's it. Some of my shirts are a bit tighter and the butt prints slightly however the public simply doesn't pay any attention. A GREAT thing about Delaware is our ability to conceal carry with a permit, open carry without and not having our permit cancel out the open carry part. If you reach high up for something and someone notice you print or the handgun show due to the shirt going up over its not illegal.

I've had it happen at the grocery store a few times and I think twice someone noticed. The one time we made eye contact and the lady simply nodded and continued down the isle. The other time I noticed a guy look over as I was reaching up. I realized right away my shirt had come up. I simply put the item into the cart and continued on my way as if I hadn't noticed him looking. I'm breaking no law so I'm not worried about it. I don't live my life to hide the fact I carry although I certainly don't try to flash it around.

Very very few people are gonna make an issue over it even if they do notice.