Author Topic: Longhurst plans to remove NICS requirement to sell after 3 days.  (Read 30784 times)

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
Re: Longhurst plans to remove NICS requirement to sell after 3 days.
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2016, 05:12:17 PM »
Looked today it's on the agenda for 18 May.  Since WE are 2nd class citizens, guess who is EXEMPT from it with HA4?

You guessed it!

"This amendment adds LEOSA licensees (active and certain retired law enforcement officers) to those exempted from the waiting period."
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

JonathanG

« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2016, 03:38:17 AM »
Looked today it's on the agenda for 18 May.  Since WE are 2nd class citizens, guess who is EXEMPT from it with HA4?
You guessed it!
"This amendment adds LEOSA licensees (active and certain retired law enforcement officers) to those exempted from the waiting period."

That little gem is from Rep Steve Smyk (R). See the email "letter" he sent me in response to my call about him being on baord with this crap fest of legislation:

"Dear Jonathan:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the House of Representatives’ recent action on House Bill 325.

There are some popular misperceptions that my actions on this measure were not in the best interests of gun owners or their Second Amendment freedoms.  Nothing could be further from the truth.

Representatives of the National Rifle Association (NRA) asked for my help in sponsoring an amendment to the bill seeking to exclude qualified law enforcement officers and retirees – as specified in the federal Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act  (LEOSA) – from the need for a background check.  The officers covered by this provision already undergo regular background checks, so exempting them would eliminate an unneeded redundancy and cut pointless red tape.

As a former Delaware State Police trooper with 24 years of service, and a state representative who has earned high ratings from the NRA, I was proud to introduce House Amendment 4 and successfully attach it to the bill.

One of the unwritten protocols of the General Assembly is that when your amendment is added to a measure, you have an obligation to support the altered legislation.  The NRA officials were aware of this when they asked for my assistance and understood it would compel me to vote in favor of HB 325.  Additionally, my vote was not the deciding factor in the bill’s House passage.

Both the NRA and the Delaware State Sportsmen’s Association (DSSA) have defended my actions on this issue and have thanked me for my willingness to help."

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2016, 11:00:08 AM »
Wow.  I was just getting ready to join the DSSA.  If this is true then of course I will not waste my money.
The DSSA website says the organization is fighting this bill.  Either we are being betrayed or that politician is a liar.

I am a Life Member NRA but they can just stop calling and emailing for upgrades or added donations if this is true.

My money will go to SAF if  either or both of these organizations have supported such an exemption.  

What a betrayal that would be.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 11:18:19 AM by Clarence »
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

PPScarry

• Life Member
  • del ccdw license holder - NRA member
« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2016, 01:01:34 PM »
It reads like a child blaming someone else for thinking for him.

I'm not sure I believe any of it. I wonder if he would provide documentation. The "my vote was not the deciding factor" always chaps my butt. >:(
"There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. "
Noah Webster
 American Lexicographer

JOET

• Life Member
« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2016, 11:34:12 PM »
Maybe someone from the DSSA or NRA will get on here and explain this to us. What happened to the rest of us "We The People"

IN the meantime, I have a family membership and will no longer renew my membership..

New Castle County

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2016, 01:07:44 AM »
I am a fervent supporter of the police.  They have a tough job and hey, let's face it we depend on them.  

But I am 100% against special privledges such as this and the LEOSA thing. The Right is for all citizens.

In any case I certainly hope that DSSA or the NRA did not support such an amendment.  Hopefully this is just another lying politician looking for cover and we can work to make sure he is defeated for reelection. 
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 11:11:42 AM by Clarence »
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

JonathanG

« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2016, 04:28:31 PM »
I sent a reply email to Rep Steve Smyk (R), asking if  his explanation in his "letter" to me, justifying voting for the bill, was, in fact, as I was understanding it. I wrote that I was seeking confirmation from him that his explanation for supporting the bill, was, in fact, because he attached an exemption, for a special interest group, of which he was a member, and then voted to subject, us little folks, to bad legislation that clearly would negatively affect our rights to keep and bear arms. Curiously, I haven't received a response...

JOET

• Life Member
« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2016, 12:31:12 AM »
I sent a reply email to Rep Steve Smyk (R), asking if  his explanation in his "letter" to me, justifying voting for the bill, was, in fact, as I was understanding it. I wrote that I was seeking confirmation from him that his explanation for supporting the bill, was, in fact, because he attached an exemption, for a special interest group, of which he was a member, and then voted to subject, us little folks, to bad legislation that clearly would negatively affect our rights to keep and bear arms. Curiously, I haven't received a response...

I can not wait to see how he will try and double talk his way out..
New Castle County

NormH3

• Life Member
« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2016, 03:08:57 PM »
I think we should write our reps and ask them to pass a bill that requires anyone applying for a CCW to have an answer within 30 days. There's no reason why it should take 6 months in some cases.

JonathanG

« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2016, 11:23:46 PM »
Any word on the results of this in the Senate?

merlin51

« Reply #55 on: May 26, 2016, 11:09:21 PM »

With the senate out until June 7 any news on HB325.

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #57 on: May 27, 2016, 12:06:10 PM »
I think we should write our reps and ask them to pass a bill that requires anyone applying for a CCW to have an answer within 30 days. There's no reason why it should take 6 months in some cases.

Already did.  Everyone else should too.  Maybe that will get them moving.
http://deccw.com/index.php?topic=4561.0

ThePixelated

« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2016, 08:49:44 PM »
From the NRA-ILA: https://www.nraila.org/articles/20160617/delaware-firearm-purchase-delay-legislation-to-be-considered-next-week

Delaware: Firearm Purchase Delay Legislation to be Considered Next Week

On Tuesday, June 21, the Delaware Senate is scheduled to consider House Bill 325.  Introduced by state Representative Edward Osienski (D-24), HB 325 would go beyond federal law and extend the 3-day transfer period for NICS delays to 30 days.  Please contact your state Senator and politely urge them to oppose House Bill 325 when it comes up for a vote.

Current law allows a federally licensed firearms dealer (FFL) to release a firearm after 3 business days if they have not received any additional correspondence from NICS after receiving a “delay” when conducting the initial background check for the firearms transfer.  This safeguard prevents the potential shutdown of sales via endless delays and allows law-abiding individuals to take possession of a firearm in a timely manner.  House Bill 325 is a solution in search of a problem and your Senator needs to hear from you!

I've emailed my state Senator (Poore) and haven't heard back from here, again.

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
« Reply #59 on: June 20, 2016, 01:21:03 PM »
HB325 now has 9 Senate Amendments (SA) "placed with bill", a term that is unclear to me.
One SA reduces the period to 7 days but SA 9 wants to do the following:
AMEND House Bill No. 325 by adding the following at the end of line 15:
“(c) No licensed importer, licensed  manufacturer or licensed dealer shall sell, transfer or deliver from inventory any firearm, as defined in § 222 of this Title, to any person who is on the Federal Government’s terrorist watch list or the Federal Government’s no-fly list, or on any other list used by the Transportation Security Administration for purposes of identifying individuals who are prohibited from boarding aircraft because they pose a threat of terrorism, subject to the Federal Government affording access to the lists.”
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.