Author Topic: Question about denial  (Read 22659 times)

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
Re: Question about denial
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2016, 03:51:47 PM »
Were you referred from a hospital or did you go to this doctor on your own?
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

Tonym

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2016, 05:49:23 PM »
You didnt happen to mention anything about it on your application?

Thats scary if its true

29thInfantry

• Life Member
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2016, 06:17:49 PM »
1) Medical Records
Your doctor is legally required to keep information about your medical history confidential. This includes records pertaining to your physical AND mental health. Any prescriptions you take or evaluations you’ve had are between you and your doctor. Any treatment received or in-patient stays at psych wards or rehabs are considered medical records as well, and are also off limits to the public.
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2016, 07:37:16 PM »
1) Medical Records
Your doctor is legally required to keep information about your medical history confidential. This includes records pertaining to your physical AND mental health. Any prescriptions you take or evaluations you’ve had are between you and your doctor. Any treatment received or in-patient stays at psych wards or rehabs are considered medical records as well, and are also off limits to the public.
This prompted some digging. Appears that if you are admitted to a hospital, voluntarily or not, your records are not public but can be released. §1448A is the DE background check law.
----
Subchapter V. Mental Health Patients' Bill of Rights
16 Del. C. § 5161 Rights of patients in mental health hospitals or residential centers
(13) The hospital or residential center shall maintain a clinical record for each patient admitted...

No information reported to the Department and no clinical records maintained with respect to patients shall be public records. Such information and records shall not be released to any person or agency outside of the Department except in conformity with existing law and as follows:
g. To the State Bureau of Identification pursuant to § 8509 of Title 11 and to the Federal Bureau of Investigation, National Instant Criminal Background Check System pursuant to § 1448A of Title 11; and

(14) The Delaware Psychiatric Center and any other hospital as defined in § 5001(9) of this title shall, pursuant to § 1448A of Title 11, cause to be submitted to the Federal Bureau of Investigation, National Instant Criminal Background Check System such information as may be required to comply with federal laws and regulations relating to background checks for the purchase or transfer of firearms. Such information shall include only names and other nonclinical identifying information of persons so committed.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 07:43:22 PM by Cbmarine »
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

64Falconguy

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2016, 07:56:56 PM »
The initial reason for seeing the Dr did in fact start with an ER visit. Seems as if thats where it is all stemming from.

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2016, 08:55:53 PM »
The initial reason for seeing the Dr did in fact start with an ER visit. Seems as if thats where it is all stemming from.
We encourage you to continue the appeal process. 2005 is more than 10 years ago.
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2016, 09:45:43 PM »
I agree with CB 100%.  Continue the process. 

Remember that it is the judge who actually issues the licence.  Hopefully the fact that you might have had a rough patch 10 or more years ago and have had no further issues will be taken into account.

We on this board do support you and wish you the very best.
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

PPScarry

• Life Member
  • del ccdw license holder - NRA member
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2016, 10:35:55 PM »
Funny how it didn't stop your handgun application and purchases. I would proudly appeal. You did nothing wrong and, as a matter of fact, you did exactly the right thing then so do the right thing now. Appeal.
"There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. "
Noah Webster
 American Lexicographer

29thInfantry

• Life Member
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2016, 10:41:08 PM »
Great people great advice we are here for support
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

64Falconguy

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2016, 11:33:45 PM »
I appreciate the responses and the support. I know I have an uphill battle. But all I can do is try. Im getting conflicting opinions on whether or not to take a lawyer in with me or not on this initial appeal.

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2016, 11:57:03 PM »
Im getting conflicting opinions on whether or not to take a lawyer in with me or not on this initial appeal.

The only opinion that really matters... is your lawyer's opinion. Talk to a lawyer ASAP, before you say or do anything else.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

Newlife503

• Life Member
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2016, 03:59:01 AM »
Wow this is rediculous now I'm wondering what they are going to pull for my renewal.  Deny me for hypertension.
NRA Life Member
DSSA Member
DE,PA,FL,UT CC Permits
New Castle County

rikwick

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2016, 11:58:25 AM »
My opinion is that you do not need a lawyer!  I have seen about a dozen appeals for carrying a handgun that go in front of the judge. Out of those 12 I have seen two denials get over turned by the judge.   In your case, you have some things going for you:  The incident was more than 10 years ago, and you are not restricted from purchasing a firearm.  It would be helpful when in front of the judge that you stress to him that the incident in question was non violent, but more importantly, if you produced a letter from a Dr. (preferably the one that treated you) that you are not a threat in any way, that will go a long way.  Hope that helps.

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2016, 01:14:34 PM »
Is it possible that someone that saw you application ad contacted someone in the Attorney General's office or the Superior Court?
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

64Falconguy

« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2016, 04:18:14 PM »
Ive called several lawyers and they all felt that their services werent needed in this appeal case. I appreciate all the advice as it is helping me prepare for my day in court. Ive never been i any sort of trouble and I dont see why anyone would call the court on me. As far as NICS checks go, I passed one at Cabelas this morning without a hitch. Hopefully Ill be able to claim a victory in the court.