Author Topic: Recommend A Night Stand Safe?  (Read 5731 times)

Model10Todd

Recommend A Night Stand Safe?
« on: March 15, 2016, 08:03:10 PM »
Back in January I purchased a Liberty (Made in USA) HDX-250 "Smart" Vault at Cabela's.  I did some research, and at the time this appeared to have the best customer ratings for what I was looking for. 

With two small kids in our home I wanted something the kids could not open but with 100% reliable easy access in a SHTF moment.  I've heard horrible reviews on cheaper models that are offered through Harbor Freight, etc.  I've also heard mixed reviews on the multi-fingerprint safes.  In a panic moment, I don't want to have to remember a code, or search for a key or card.  Kids could also find them.

The first one I got I ended up returning.  When programming the prints, it would not switch to "go" mode.  It was a dud.  It was also missing parts for battery storage.  I found their customer service came across friendly, but avoided doing anything by saying "The guy that usually handles that safe isn't in today, I'll have him call you back."  And he never called back (Go USA!).

This second one was fine out of the box, however two times since I gotten it it has given me error after error when reading my print.  It would not open until I unplugged it and plugged it back in, then swiped again, that it opened.

While this error is rare, I prefer 100%. Anyone recommend a better nightstand safe? Big enough to hold 2 guns and knifes. 
DECCW Permit Holder
FL & PA N/R Permit Holder
NRA Member
DSSA Member
New Castle County

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

Adrenolin

• Life Member
Re: Recommend A Night Stand Safe?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 12:31:00 AM »
Personally I would stay away from fingerprint readers. Wet hands, even from sweat, can interfere with them and cause failures to read properly. Your print can also be pulled from the display fairly easily so depending on the age and curiosity of your kids they could still access it.

Landmgr

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 06:48:51 PM »
Personally I would stay away from fingerprint readers. Wet hands, even from sweat, can interfere with them and cause failures to read properly. Your print can also be pulled from the display fairly easily so depending on the age and curiosity of your kids they could still access it.

I agree. Not a huge fan of fingerprint safes. I have a quick access sentry safe (http://www.sentrysafe.com/HDC/Quick_Access_Pistol_Safe) and have had no problems. You can custom program your own code. Very simple and easy to open. Cost $99.

robberbaron

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2016, 11:35:30 PM »
I have a small safe with a combination I won't forget until Alzheimer's sets in.

Model10Todd

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 04:50:40 PM »
Appreciate the great advice.  Thank you.
DECCW Permit Holder
FL & PA N/R Permit Holder
NRA Member
DSSA Member
New Castle County

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

Federal Firearm

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2016, 02:06:28 AM »
go with the gun vault no look safe..I have them for $109..you won't be disappointed