Author Topic: 'Nother New Guy, with a question, of course  (Read 3173 times)

Garda

'Nother New Guy, with a question, of course
« on: March 23, 2016, 04:41:00 PM »
First, I just want to say:  What a great forum!  I'm happy to have discovered this place.  I've learned a bunch just from reading over the last couple of weeks.

I've lived in DE for about 20 years, most of it just outside the Wilmington city limits.  Years of reading about crime in the News Journal made me think about getting a CCDW permit, but I'm finally taking action now that it's hit close to home.  My wife's 70-something year old uncle went out for his daily walk, and was robbed at gunpoint in broad daylight in a supposedly safe neighborhood, and that was the last straw.  I was thinking about how to suggest that I get a permit to my wife (who didn't grow up around guns), when she suggested it first.  Issue solved -- lol!

I think I have a pretty good idea of what I need to do for the application process, but have one question about what constitutes a "person related to me" for the reference questionnaires.  How far removed does a person need to be?  I had a great list of unimpeachable references going:

Retired LEO
Current LEO
Officer of the Court

Problem is, they're all in-laws.  Brother-in-law, cousin-in-law, etc.  All related to my wife by blood, not me (I grew up out west).

Can I use them as references, or will I need to move on to friends and neighbors?  Or, am I overthinking this and anybody without a criminal record is fine?

Thank you in advance!

29thInfantry

• Life Member
Re: 'Nother New Guy, with a question, of course
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 05:29:06 PM »
Welcome to the group there are a great bunch of people here.  As far as the "safe" places safety is something we create that makes us feel comfortable.  So many bad things happening in good places its a shame really. 
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

29thInfantry

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 05:30:17 PM »
Family cannot be used for references it has to be people in your county friends, coworkers, neighbors are always a good place to start.  Not too sure about if the in law and brother in law I do believe they are considered extended family.  I am pretty sure someone will clarify further.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 05:33:30 PM by 29thInfantry »
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 11:17:27 PM »
Don't think there is such a thing as a "cousin-in-law on your wife's side" to them. That's just a friend.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 11:55:34 PM »
Agreed that it's okay to use in-laws as references.
New Castle County

Garda

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2016, 01:53:30 AM »
Thank you for the answers!  I'll go ahead and use the in-laws.

29th, that's a great perspective -- you don't buy into, walk through, or find safety.  It has to be created.  Mind if I steal that quote?