Author Topic: IWB SOB - Does anyone else carry this way ?  (Read 7200 times)

joep19934

• Life Member
IWB SOB - Does anyone else carry this way ?
« on: April 10, 2016, 10:05:43 PM »
I picked one of these up in a left handed model for my Shield as I wanted to carry IWB SOB
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hybrid-Holster-for-Smith-Wesson-Shield-IWB-or-OWB-right-handed-/172121270214?
I'm not sure if anyone else carries this way but I like it so far from all the other positions I have tried.
It's not that uncomfortable when sitting or driving as long as you are sitting a certain way.
Does anyone else prefer to carry this way ?
18 Day Turnaround
Kent County
NRA Member
DE/PA CCDW permits
BRIDGEVILLE RIFLE & PISTOL CLUB Member
Delaware State Sportsman's Association

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
Re: IWB SOB - Does anyone else carry this way ?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 11:46:03 PM »
Not quite SOB, but I was carrying IWB where the rear belt clip was almost at 6 o'clock. Fairly comfortable, I thought, til it pinched a nerve and I started to limp.  Also, have heard that a fall on your back with an SOB can injure your spine badly.  Just something to consider.
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

8thFA

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 12:23:49 AM »
Not quite SOB either, I carry mine right over my rear back pocket (always have my wallet in my front left).
US Army veteran
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
NCC

Etrier

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 01:06:25 AM »
As it has been explained to me from other Kydex holster makers that have expressed their opinion on the subject of SOB carry is the significant chance of injury from SOB carry due to the placement of a steel slide at the point in your back where there is the least amount of muscle or fat to protect the spine should a fall to the rear occur.  I am not sure whether the report of significant injury is fact or internet lore but it makes sense that if you experience a fall to the rear from ice on the driveway or a physical struggle with someone the last thing I would want to happen is to suffer a spine injury due to where my firearm is located.  Secondly from a tactical stand point I believe that SOB presents issues that a person who is concealed carrying should not have issues with including: weapon retention if you get in a physical struggle, accessing your firearm if you do need it during a struggle and you have landed on your back, reholstering your firearm and not covering any body parts while trying to reholster, and generally trying to be aware of what is going on behind you because that is where your firearm is located so that your firearm doesn't get taken from you while your back is turned.  It is my opinion that the potential for injury by carrying a piece of steel against your spine is significant enough to rule out SOB carry totally.  It does look cool for the TV shows but they are only interested in how it looks on camera and not the functional aspects or the potential for injury.
Kydex Holster Maker

joep19934

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 01:27:10 AM »
Thanks for the tip on the spine....
I will try and move it to the right above the pocket and see how that works thanks for the heads up.
I would have never though about falling on it but anything is possible.
18 Day Turnaround
Kent County
NRA Member
DE/PA CCDW permits
BRIDGEVILLE RIFLE & PISTOL CLUB Member
Delaware State Sportsman's Association

SubjectZero

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 01:12:54 PM »
I don't carry this way and never tried but it seems to me that SOB carry is impractical because even when you go to draw your arm is behind your back. Even shadowing the motion of a draw it seems just too unnatural and feels kind of clumsy. Might be viable as a backup holster? Then of course there is the possibility of serious injury from falls...

PPScarry

• Life Member
  • del ccdw license holder - NRA member
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2016, 03:56:49 PM »
My instructor for CCDW carried that way and he is a LEO. Not for me just because I find 3 to 4 o'clock the most comfortable and I can tell if I'm printing or not.
"There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. "
Noah Webster
 American Lexicographer

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2016, 06:52:09 PM »
Not a chance would I carry near COB for the reason explained above. As someone whose spent years working through two separate back issues from accidents it just isn't worth the risk. I carry a full sized Walther PPQ at 3:00 in an MTAC holster daily from the time my pants go on until they come off (stop picturing that! ;D) and am completely comfortable. Makes for easy open carry while driving as well.. Try that from COB. As the dad of a 5yo who thinks I'm his personal jungle gym I'm twisting, rolling and playing in many contorted positions and have never had any issues with my setup.

I'd strongly suggest you consider a different setup. If you feel it works for you then so be it but give it some thought.

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2016, 10:39:46 PM »
If you do want to carry SOB, you might want to try something I was told years ago. If you are right handed, get a left hand IWB and use that or get a left hand IWB holster with an adjustable cant, for better access for the draw. I have done this on occasion. works.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2016, 11:59:16 AM »
If you are right handed, get a left hand IWB and use that or get a left hand IWB holster with an adjustable cant, for better access for the draw. I have done this on occasion. works.
Widow maker?  Don't think I'd recommend it for CLOSE encounters.
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2016, 02:34:45 PM »
This is a method used by many police and LEO.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2016, 02:44:47 PM »
And that makes it right?  They are also the BEST ones to give information out on gun laws too...  ;)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 03:05:56 PM by Radnor »
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2016, 07:31:43 AM »
And that makes it right?  They are also the BEST ones to give information on out gun laws too...  ;)

I REALLY wanna LIKE this comment lol  ;D