Author Topic: Taurus 783 TCP or a Glock 26?  (Read 5982 times)

8thFA

Taurus 783 TCP or a Glock 26?
« on: April 30, 2016, 01:01:57 AM »
Question for all of you fine citizens.  I carry a Springfield XDM 3.8 compact.  Not too hard to conceal with my Stealthgear Onyx holster but it is more challenging with warmer weather coming.  So my wife wants to learn how to shoot in case something happens while I'm not home, but has no desire to conceal carry (yet).

She has small hands and the XDM is too big and she can't manipulate the slide very well either.  So being the genius that I am, I realized this is the perfect excuse to buy another gun that is smaller for her to use and for me to conceal carry in the summer.

So Pavlic firearms has some Taurus 783's in stock and they're cheap, but I'm a bit leery of there being no safeties on it, especially if it's in my pants.  So does anyone have any feedback on it?  Or would I be better to go with a Glock 26 or a XD compact?  The main thing is that it fits her hands and she can operate it and secondary that it's smaller than my XDM.

Thoughts?
US Army veteran
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
NCC

Landmgr

Re: Taurus 783 TCP or a Glock 26?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 01:15:04 AM »
I've never personally held the Taurus 783 TCP, but have held the G26. The G26 is still a double stack gun, and probably would feel bulky in her hands. That being said, I would look at some of the single stack options available. The G43, Springfield XDS, or M&P Shield might be good options. They are quality guns, reasonably priced, and might fit her hands better. Hope this helps.

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 01:23:52 AM »
We own a Taurus revolver that is an excellent, reliable firearm.
From what I've read, seen and heard -- consistently, over and over again, for the last decade or more -- I would not trust a Taurus semi-automatic pistol. Too many Taurus owners report too many problems.

Of course, we're such pessimists that my wife insists on revolvers, all our semi-auto pistols are Glocks, my rifle is a Springfield M1A, and our primary home defense shotgun is a Saiga-12. So, maybe I'm not the one to ask...
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 01:53:05 AM »
but I'm a bit leery of there being no safeties on it, especially if it's in my pants. 
If this is a main concern you might want to look at the Ruger LC380. It is small, reliable and has a manual safety.

http://www.ruger.com/products/lc380/models.html

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

8thFA

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 02:00:17 AM »
but I'm a bit leery of there being no safeties on it, especially if it's in my pants. 
If this is a main concern you might want to look at the Ruger LC380. It is small, reliable and has a manual safety.

I'll check this out, thanks.
US Army veteran
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
NCC

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2016, 02:01:21 AM »

Or, the Glock 42: if the trigger is covered by your in-pocket holster, it can't go off.
(However, the 42 is a tad large for pocket carry in most pants. I had one, then traded up to the even larger 43).
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

8thFA

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2016, 02:11:56 AM »
I've never personally held the Taurus 783 TCP, but have held the G26. The G26 is still a double stack gun, and probably would feel bulky in her hands. That being said, I would look at some of the single stack options available. The G43, Springfield XDS, or M&P Shield might be good options. They are quality guns, reasonably priced, and might fit her hands better. Hope this helps.

That does.  I guess when I heard the G26 was a baby glock I was thinking it's smaller than it is.  I'll check out these other guns.  i did think about the XDS, I'm partial to Springfields.. :)
US Army veteran
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
NCC

8thFA

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2016, 02:14:02 AM »
We own a Taurus revolver that is an excellent, reliable firearm.
From what I've read, seen and heard -- consistently, over and over again, for the last decade or more -- I would not trust a Taurus semi-automatic pistol. Too many Taurus owners report too many problems.

Of course, we're such pessimists that my wife insists on revolvers, all our semi-auto pistols are Glocks, my rifle is a Springfield M1A, and our primary home defense shotgun is a Saiga-12. So, maybe I'm not the one to ask...

I always wanted a Taurus judge, but I did read about some quality issues on these 783's.  One guy had to send his back and got two replacement guns...  made me a bit skeptical, but the cheap price got my attention.
US Army veteran
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
NCC

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2016, 07:03:17 AM »
My wife has small hands and the one handgun she simply outright stated was hers was the Walther PPS in 9mm. I actually had to order a second one because she decided I could no longer carry "her" handgun.  :D I bought the first one that she uses now 4 or 5 years ago and it remains one of my favorite smaller handguns. Don't worry about these firearms with no safeties. As long as its holstered and properly secured you have no worries. What we like about the PPS is the overall build quality and the fact it actually feels like a solid metal gun while still having a poly lower. There is a heft to it, without actually being heavy, that helps control and handle the gun. Fantastic little handgun that's absolutely reliable and more accurate then most people can shoot.

PPScarry

• Life Member
  • del ccdw license holder - NRA member
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2016, 09:40:37 AM »
The PPS does have extra back straps and the smallest fits my wife's hand nicely. But that's my gun. She owns a Glock 42 and loves it. Neither gun has a safety and we are good with that and have safety meetings to keep us safe.
She has small hands but with gun tape she has no problem with full size guns. The grips on Sig Sauer feels like the pistol is stuck to your hand so check out a few if you get a chance.
"There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. "
Noah Webster
 American Lexicographer

JAB62

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2016, 01:22:03 AM »
Taurus or Glock,   Glock wins and I don't like Glocks.