Author Topic: New  (Read 19215 times)

trevor

New
« on: August 30, 2009, 04:19:45 PM »
Hi, folks.

I've been gun neutral essentially all my life. Shot a '22 in boy scout camp, went trap shooting a few times with folks from work, but that was mostly just about it. I own a 1903 Springfield rifle, but have only used it a few times over the last 20 years. Honestly, I never really gave guns much thought. I'm not gun phobic, but not moving to Montana, either.   

I live in Newark. I've been a  Delaware resident 15 years, from a much larger northeast state before that.

However...

Recent personal events have convinced me to think much more seriously about home defense and protecting my family.

I've just (yesterday)  taken a NRA basic pistol/CCDW course. Interesting, informative course. Met some nice guys there. I'd recommend the instructor to anyone. Thanks the range practice, I'm starting to break in my new Glock 19, which had a stiff action.

I think every issue, gun ownership included, has many valid perspectives, and your stand very much depends on your  background and  life experiences. What's right for me may be wrong for you.

I look forward to learning and maybe even sharing perspectives.

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
Re: New
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 04:37:35 PM »
Welcome and thanks for joining, you chose A very nice pistol in the Glock 19.
" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.

trevor

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 03:35:28 AM »
Sigarms12,

Thanks for running the forum. It's good to be able to see the ideas of like minded folks, and nice to feel welcome.

I almost bought a 17, but a little more reading showed me that the more compact 19 was more well-rounded, and a reasonable choice for cc, so that swayed me at the last minute.

I was amazed at the ease of the process...took only abut 40 minutes, from walking in to walking out the store...not a hassle at all.

Now, I'm looking for a used 22 Ruger mark II for my better half. She's interested, but a little afraid of the 9mm right now.

Thanks,

« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 10:54:38 AM by trevor »

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 11:54:20 AM »
Sig Sauer makes a .22 called the Masquito from what I hear its very nice and fairly in-expensive.

trevor

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 10:38:52 AM »
I'll have to check it out.
I wonder if folks have other .22's they like as accurate, inexpensive target/intro guns?

CorBon

• Life Member
  • The Revolution starts in your heart...
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 12:37:26 AM »
Sig Sauer makes a .22 called the Masquito from what I hear its very nice and fairly in-expensive.
It also has quite the reputation for being problematic.
Very few guns are actually "illegal guns."  A gun misappropriated by a criminal is no more of an "illegal gun" than a stolen car is an "illegal car."

trevor

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 01:47:57 AM »
Hmm.

Does anyone have experience with the polymer Ruger Mark II?

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 09:25:20 AM »
The older ones did but the newer ones seem to be fine.

firststatefirearms

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 02:47:37 PM »
Walther P-22 is about the same price as the Sig.  The P-22 comes with either a 3 3/4" barrel or a 5" barrel.

I would be happy to get a price on any weapon you are looking for.  I do not over charge members of this site.
An armed citizen refuses to be a victim.

Rabbit

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2009, 04:48:13 PM »
I do not over charge members of this site.

you just overcharge everyone else?  just kidding I'm sure your prices are very reasonable.

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2009, 05:42:55 PM »
I would suggest the Ruger MK 3. They're pretty inexpensive and a million things you can add on to them aftermarket.
Honey I swear I've had that gun for years!

trevor

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2009, 10:55:11 PM »
Great minds think alike!

I actually picked up a 22/45 mark 3 last night! Went to ommenlanden this afternoon to 'test it' for my better half.
Was a lot of fun, but I got a whole bunch of jams where the bullet didn't chamber, but instead had a deep gouge.

Thoughts?

Is it me?  :o 

I don't have that problem with my glock 19....but then again, nobody does...  ;-)

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2009, 12:27:10 PM »
Good choice on the 22/45. As far as the jamming, my bet would just be new gun, tight spring. Also, 22's are blowback operated and can be alittle more succeptable to "limp wristing". But it should work it self out with some more rounds thru it.
Honey I swear I've had that gun for years!

trevor

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2009, 12:54:21 PM »
Well, if it means more range time, I can force myself to do that...;)

Had a heck of a time reassembling after cleaning it, but thanks to youtube was able to figure it out. Only a few extra pieces left over :)

trevor

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2009, 11:59:27 PM »
Had a pleasurable  hour at the Ommenlanden pistol range today. Using the Ruger Mark III 22/45, Changed to CCI ammo, which seemed to help a lot with jamming.

SO, now I'm looking for you experienced shooters to help/give me advice:

I'm shooting slowly, using bench-rest, with the sight picture just right. I've got pretty nice groups, but those groups are consistently, I mean always, about 3/4 inch to the LEFT of center. Vertically, they are nicely distributed about the center, but the center of the group is  always 3/4 inch LEFT of center. I've tried different parts of my index finger (tip, pad, joint) against trigger with no change in results. The groups themselves are OK vertically, but always to the left. I've tried tighter and looser grip, also no change. Thoughts?

Before I mess with the sights, any ideas?