Author Topic: New  (Read 18720 times)

Moosie

• Life Member
Re: New
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2009, 11:42:04 AM »
Trevor,

Before you change anything on your gun, I have a sneaking suspicion that it's a user 'error' and not the gun. Certainly not trying to insult your shooting abilities, my friend!! 

I can't find the chart that I'm talking about (perhaps someone else has it and can post?).  The chart shows where the majority of your rounds are landing and what your doing to get them there!  For instance, I had a nice tight group too, but it was down and to the left... I was flexing at the wrist (anticipating the shot).  Might help you realize that you're doing something very slight that is affecting the aim.

I'm jus' sayin'! 

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

trevor

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2009, 04:42:32 PM »
No insult taken...I'm looking for suggestions as to what I'M doing....

I'm happy about the groups...they're just not in the right place!

I was wondering about possibly limp wristing...how would that look?

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2009, 06:33:08 PM »
Trevor,

1st, welcome!

If he has the NRA Basic Pistol book from his class, it's on page 89.

Down and left (RIGHT HANDED SHOOTER):

"This pattern is caused when the shooter jerks the trigger, causing the front sight to dip low and to the left before the bullet leaves the barrel. To correct this type of error, the trigger must be slowly SQUEEZED until the shot fires, being careful while squeezing not to disturb the sight alignment and sight picture."

Left (8:30-9:30) page 90:

"This pattern is created when the shooter does not properly place the index finger on the trigger. In such cases, the shooter has a tendency to squeeze the trigger at an angle instead of straight to the rear."

My questions are:
  1. what distance?
  2. what group size?
  3. resting on sandbags?

OP said bench rest shooting, so he may be getting as much of the human error out possible.  Have someone else run a few rounds through it.  I'm leaning more towards sights based on CONSISTENT TIGHT GROUPS.  If you had a "shotgun" pattern, well then....

Went shooting today .22 rifle.  My groups at 25yds are about 1 inch high and 1 to the right.  Bench rest shooting smallest 5 shot group about the size of a pencil eraser.  Hold 2 targets together see COMMON holes.  Believe mine is a sight alignment.  Or, I'm CONSISTENTLY doing the same thing wrong....

If you want someone else to test it, could give you a few names.
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2009, 06:55:18 PM »
I would lean more towards sights also. Try to find somebody else at the range to run a few through it and see how they are shooting. Also, since its a 22 and your shooting from a rest you could try to shoot with your other hand. If your shots are in the same place you know its the sights, if you pushing them to the other side you know its you.
Honey I swear I've had that gun for years!

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2009, 11:42:49 AM »
@@@@ it, Radnor.  I was going to go and look in my book for that and said.. NAHHHHH.  LOL 

Thanks for posting.  That's what I was getting at!! :)

Good suggestion also, GunEnvy!! 

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2009, 01:38:35 PM »
Glad to help.  That's another reason we are all here...
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

trevor

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2009, 10:28:01 PM »
Will definitely try the weak hand this weekend, thanks for the idea!

On the other front,

-class completed
-passport photo taken
-notice published
-5 references received
-fingerprints done at troop 2
-app notarized
-everything photocopied
-Dropped off in person at Prothonotary's office (which in NCC is the Judgements office, 500 N.King St)

now...just need to wait 90 days...

plenty of time to adjust my wardrobe and try various holsters at home.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 10:58:13 PM by trevor »

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2009, 11:14:16 PM »
Trevor I highly recomend the cross breed super tuck for your Glock 19, I use one for my Glock 32 and love it. The holster is as ugly as can be but well worth the money.
" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.

trevor

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2009, 12:46:54 AM »
Looks pretty good; I would think the large leather part makes it fairly comfortable?
Do you wear it on the hip, or more in the small of the back?

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2009, 01:25:10 AM »
I wear it just behind the hip at a 4 O'Clock position> Dont forget to get a quality gun belt too or the best holster is worthless with out it. The Belt man makes some real nice gun belts.
" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.

trevor

« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2009, 08:52:38 PM »
    After spending some 'quality time' at the NCC courthouse this week, got word today from the AG that the main person responsible for my break in will take a plea that will likely result in spending 2 years of his young life behind bars.
    I do believe he should be punished, but as a parent I see it also as such a waste, especially considering he probably only made a few hundred $ from breaking in to our home. I guess I'm surprised that I'm of mixed feelings about it. What a brilliant waste of his own future...but it's good for everybody that there will be at least two years without him committing more burglaries...see what I mean?

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2009, 11:51:33 PM »
Trevor,

Sorry to hear about the break in.  Good he's off the streets for a while. :)

Nice to meet you today.  Hope you enjoyed the 1911 style gun.
Let's shoot again soon, it was fun.  I needed to take it to the range.
Have not shot it in a while.  I want to shoot what I carry at times...
Lately, been doing some 22 rifle.

Radnor
(Todd)

trevor

« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2009, 08:10:59 AM »
Switched to some CCI ammo...jams no more! :)