Author Topic: Robbers and Lawyers  (Read 3448 times)

PPScarry

• Life Member
  • del ccdw license holder - NRA member
Robbers and Lawyers
« on: May 09, 2016, 11:38:58 AM »
I'm sure the homeowner isn't sleeping very well. What a way to wake up. Robber is lucky he's not dead and knowing todays world, the homeowner will probably need a lawyer now. Not sure from the article if the bad guy entered the property.

http://www.wboc.com/story/31916930/burglary-suspect-arrested-after-being-shot-by-homeowner

Make sure the bad guy is in your house if you're going to shoot. Otherwise call 911 and be a great witness.

http://www.thestarpress.com/story/news/crime/2016/04/25/burglar-sues-homeowner-who-shot-him/83418638/
"There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. "
Noah Webster
 American Lexicographer

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
Re: Robbers and Lawyers
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 11:52:02 AM »
The guy in Dover should be OK, but we're hoping he has an attorney and kept his mouth shut.
The other guy is screwed: he was convicted of "criminal recklessness" ...and he will lose the lawsuit.

Pro tip: if the only reason to shoot is to keep a criminal from getting away, don't shoot.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

PPScarry

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 12:23:45 PM »
Great tip concerning keeping your mouth shut, even when you are within your rights. I've been told not to talk until you see your lawyer and not before 48 hours if possible. I've heard of false memories when experiencing traumatic stress. I am hounded by "Tim Schmidt at USCCA" on my email but I have learned a few things from his persistency.

A better tip is not shooting to keep a criminal from running away like you said.

Although if they are in my house with a gun they are still a threat even running away. They are capable of turning and shooting quite easily. That is one situation that worries me because you are damned if you do and a chance (no matter how small)of getting shot or killed. Like to hear your opinion on that. If you shoot the bad guy in your house and the entry wounds are in their back, doesn't look good oldgraygeek. 
"There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. "
Noah Webster
 American Lexicographer

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 11:10:55 PM »
If anyone is interested, this is a rather long two part video of a law professor and former defense attorney entitled "Don't talk to cops". No offense to the officers and former officers on this board. I found it interesting.
It's been around for awhile.

http://youtu.be/i8z7NC5sgik
New Castle County

PPScarry

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 12:23:19 AM »
I have watched all the CCW Safe videos with my wife. Excellent. We also watched the "long" fast talking videos (1 &2) and are excellent as well. The first guy was really good and both made the videos seem fast. Good stuff. Your point was driven home Lumspond, an eye opener. I think I want to say "I am a victim, I was forced to defend myself, I need help". After seeing the "don't talk to cops" I want that lawyer in Virginia Beach #1 video before I finish this sentence! :o
Noah Webster
 American Lexicographer

rikwick

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 10:13:26 AM »
Andrew Branca's Book "The Law of Self Defense" (3rd edition) just came out.  It's an excellent book.  He is a self defense lawyer in Mass.  His take on what you say when you call 911 is something like "I was in fear for my life and I had to defend myself."    The only info that you give to police is to show them any evidence at the scene, any witnesses, and if the scene had at the time anything that may have blocked our path to retreat.  Unless of course the threat was imminent where retreating was not possible.