Author Topic: Short Barrel Rifle  (Read 10615 times)

Rabbit

Short Barrel Rifle
« on: September 02, 2009, 09:50:13 PM »

Anybody have any experience with registering a Short Barrel Rifle. I know the steps that i have to go through. but anyone have experience with getting law enforcement certification.

http://www.atf.gov/forms/pdfs/f53201.pdf
page 3 section F

i live in Bear so who do i go for that. the head of NCCPD or DSP or AG office or will anybody listed on the form do.

i'm looking at getting a bushmaster Carbon 15 pistol in 9mm
http://www.bushmaster.com/catalog_carbon15_AZ9-C15P21S.asp
then adding a ACE skeleton stock
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productnumber=760499

its the closest to an mp5 in 9mm i can get with out buying a POS clone that may not even work or shoot straight. or shelling out 5 grand for H&K94

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
Re: Short Barrel Rifle
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 11:23:42 PM »
I guess it would have to go through a FFL as far as short barrel I don't know if that falls under I think its a Class III Lic? I'm sure someone here would know a lot better then me.
" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.

Blue Hen Firearms

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 12:43:42 PM »
Rabbit,  if the gun is marked "pistol" you don't need to do anything outside of a normal hand gun purchase. If it is marked "rifle" or not marked at all then it is legally a rifle and you would need to go through an NFA dealer for the transfer. As far as the CLEO you would need to contact the DSP troop in Dover and speak to Sgt Nafoskie (I'm sure I mispelled it) for that appproval. Also, some people believe that if you buy a reciever and the FFL transfers it as a pistol reciever than you legally have a pistol. That is not the case, we have to go by what the manufacturer call it, either rifle or pistol. Feel free to give me a call if you have any question. 743-5566
NRA Business Alliance Member

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 09:41:03 PM »
Nope haven't forgotten. By the way Rabbit that what ever it is is to be nice is kinda ugly.
" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.

Rabbit

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 10:50:11 PM »
well i think I'm going to build it from the receiver up. starting with a normal AR receiver summit the paper work while i finish the lower receiver. if i get the go ahead (the tax stamp from the ATF) then i will start working on the upper. if i get denied then its just a matter of using a 16 inch barrel instead of 7 or 10.5. I don't want a pistol my aim is to have something that is shoulder fired. i have read some bad reviews of the carbon 15 but i like the handguards on that particular pistol, oh well i have to fine something else that strikes my fancy.

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 10:58:44 PM »
Rabbit, check around but I'm pretty sure you can build a pistol reciever any length just not the other way around. Just like putting a carbine kit on a 1911 or a glock. That will save you the cost of the BATF tax stamp. 
Honey I swear I've had that gun for years!

turfmn

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2009, 11:36:34 AM »
Rabbit, check around but I'm pretty sure you can build a pistol reciever any length just not the other way around. Just like putting a carbine kit on a 1911 or a glock. That will save you the cost of the BATF tax stamp. 

I don't believe that is true. Anything that has a rifled barrel and you can shoulder has to have a 16" barrel or it is a SBR. Look at the semi-auto PPSH43. In pistol form, it has a factory length barrel, but the stock is welded closed. In carbine form the barrel is extended and the stock can be unfolded. Same with the KP44, and the CZ Scorpion. The Finnish Suomi and the Russian PPSH41 both have thier barrels extended to 16". You also can't install a shoulder stock on a Broomhandle Mauser or a 1911 even though the Broomhandle is designed to use a removable shoulder stock. There used to be a kit that replaced the mainspring housing on a 1911 and let you slide a shoulder stock on a 1911. The carbine kit your talking about has a 16" barrel.

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2009, 02:20:21 PM »
Ill be the first to admit that I know very little about surplus imports but does the ATF put extra restrictions on imports? Look at the Ruger charger, 10in barrel and it is a rifle reciever. Also the Thompson Center handguns can be had with many different barrel lengths both shorter and longer than 16 inches.

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2009, 02:25:03 PM »
Ps...I just reread rabbits post, I had read it backwards, thought he did not want shoulder fired.