Author Topic: Live round stuck in chamber  (Read 10328 times)

AudiQ

Live round stuck in chamber
« on: May 30, 2016, 06:26:21 PM »
I could use some advice here. While preparing to go to the range yesterday I was unloading SD rounds from my PPQ- Hornady 147 XTP 9mm. After dropping the mag the slide was very difficult to rack to eject the chambered round, but I was eventually able to get it locked back by hand but the round remained tight in the chamber. Trying again the slide was difficult to get into battery, a firm rap to the back of the slide did the trick. Once again very hard to rack the slide open. At this point when I got the action open I left it in that condition. The round is snug in the chamber. I cannot move it at all with a finger nail. How should I proceed- take the gun to the range and fire it  hoping for the best, try to gently tap the round back with a wooden dowel which sounds a little dicey, or take it to a gunsmith?

I have previously fired a box of this same ammo through this gun with no issue. In fact never an issue with this gun in 1,000 rounds of various manufacturers.

I removed a barrel from another 9mm weapon and performed the drop test with the remaining rounds from this box. 47 of them dropped in with a nice Ke-Plunk and dropped out when I inverted the barrel. Two did not sound so clean on the drop- in and took a rap into my palm to remove them. I'm thinking I will shoot this box as target ammo and purchase another brand like Speer and drop test them all before loading as SD ammo.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 06:30:32 PM by AudiQ »
Endeavor to persevere

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
Re: Live round stuck in chamber
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 02:19:13 PM »
To be safe, I'd take it to a gun repair shop. They probably have dealt with this in the past, and have a way of removing the round safely. So, it may cost a couple of bucks. Better than shooting yourself or someone else.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 01:06:58 PM »
Curious.. what happened here with your PPQ? Definitely sounds like a bad round got inserted or possibly debris was pushed into the chamber with the round.

I've had a bad Hornady round once before and was lucky. Firing .454 Casull from a lever rifle I received quite a kick to the shoulder.. yeah, more so then a typical .454 does. Say Ouch! I saw the round hit the target and knew the prior rounds had also. When I racked the lever down the casing that came out was that of a .45acp! I mean perfect length of a .45acp where a .454 Casull was fired! The remaining end ring of the casing remained inside the chamber. Range officer had the smith look at it and suggested I send it into the firearm manufacturer since he said there was no way he could remove it, nor had he seen this happen before.

Manufacture wound up replacing the rifle for me.

AudiQ

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2016, 01:53:38 AM »
I called two smiths who each said I could fire the stuck round if the gun could be returned to battery as it was the proper ammo for the gun. Fairly easy to remove a stuck case after firing. But one cautioned to use an empty mag to prevent a jam if the case does not eject. So I shot it at the range along with the rest of the box, saving the other two suspect rounds for last. No problem at all, the stuck round fired and ejected along with the rest of the box.
The PPQ has continued to run flawlessly since. I'm now using Speer as SD ammo. Still in love with it along with the little brother PPS.

My apologies, I should have posted the result after asking for help here. Thanks for the reminder.
Endeavor to persevere

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2016, 02:05:09 AM »
No worries.. I had just happened on this and was wondering how it worked out. Great firearm and glad it wasn't damaged.

I run Speer Gold Dots and have had zero issues with them in any of the 9mm I own. I need to find another online source of it in the 50rd boxes and order a few soon. Much cheaper then local 20rd boxes!  ;D