Author Topic: My CCDW Journal  (Read 16117 times)

trevor

My CCDW Journal
« on: September 04, 2009, 11:30:14 PM »
I thought I'd track the steps I am taking in obtaining my CCDW. Might be amusing if I don't  make it! You may have other ideas, this is just a list of what I'm doing. Stay tuned to see if I succeed.

1. June 2009. Home burglarized between hours of noon and 6 pm.

2. Newark PD helps recover much, not all of what was stolen. (A good thing, as Martha would say)

3. I start thinking about what might have happened if spouse/kids were home during the burglary. Am glad they had gone to Dutch Wonderland for the day. I'm glad they were not home when the young men kicked in our sunroom door.   I'm glad they were not home when the young men selected whatever they wanted from our home, wandering all over our house.

I decide on the need to get serious about home defense.

4. I start researching which gun to get. Settle on 9mm as I want something both I and the Mrs. would be happy with. Then, settle on glock, though there were other ones that would have been just as good, if not better. Change mind from Full size Glock 17 to a mid sized Glock 19 (more compact) based upon possible dual role of CC. Buy a Glock 19, Snap caps. Watch 1,000 you tube videos and gradually learn to field strip it.

5. I join the NRA. Look for the required CCDWclass. Try to get into target master, but full up to next month. Look around, find anther one. Take one on Sat, 8/29. Very happy with class. End up with certificate for Del. and one for FLA. The NRA basic pistol patch is a nice touch. Decide not to put the NRA patch on my work jacket lapel.

6. Email friends with request for reference letter. Most agree to do it on the spot. Find out one of them has held a CCDW for years (who knew?)

7. Pay Newark post $43 for necessary legal notice. (Verified with Prothonary's office this paper was OK for my zip code)

8. Schedule fingerprinting. (They were very pleasant and nice...good sign?) Closest appointment is in 2 weeks @ 8:30 am. Turns out they accept plastic, and since I never seem to have cash, this is good news. I tell them I'll also need a fingerprint card done at same time for my FLA app. They tell me I'll need $10 more. Not a problem. I'll have to go to troop 2, Bear.

9. Buy Ruger Mark III 22/45 for better half. Go to range to 'test' it.

10....I will add more as more happens, pretty far along, though.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 12:36:44 AM by trevor »

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
Re: My CCDW Journal
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 10:41:29 AM »
Pretty interesting story. Sorry to hear about the break in, that sucks. I'm glad your family wasn't home. Let us know how you make out with your permit process just keep in mind its a long process but worth it in the end.
" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.

trevor

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 12:51:43 AM »
CCDW process update:

-class completed (very pleasant way to spend a day...and ammo...and $280...)
-passport photo taken (2 for Delaware, 1 for Fla...$15 total)
-notice published (and rec'd affidavit of publication, needed for ccdw app)
-5 references received (1 of 7 people I asked preferred not to, rest were happy to)
-fingerprints done at troop 2 (took 25 minutes, they were quite pleasant, got Card done for Fla app also)
-app notarized (at local gun shop...they didn't charge me a fee...  :)
-everything photocopied (on my all in 1 printer)
-Dropped off in person at Prothonotary's office (which in NCC is the Judgements office, 500 N.King St...staff there seemed unhappy in their jobs, but they took my app)

now...just need to wait 90 days...

as of today, 2 of the 4 folks involved in my burglary have taken pleas...no jail time for either of them...oh well...2 more individuals still to go to trial.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 12:59:01 AM by trevor »

trevor

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 08:16:02 AM »
68 days left...(22 days  later), nothing to report.

I have been happy to be able to get to the range 1x week, trying to build up skills. I may have to give up coffee....really does have a negative effect!  :o  Tough choice!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 08:46:29 AM by trevor »

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 01:37:32 PM »
The wait stinks!  After you get DE, apply for PA.  You'll have it in 7-10 days.

If by chance you add FL or UT, you'll have the wait again!
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 09:51:48 PM »
Glad to see your keeping up your skills, I can't stress enough that its like anything else if you don't practice you won't have the skills when you need them. I know too many people who took the class to get their permit and haven't been shooting since.

trevor

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 02:25:34 AM »
Can't imagine not returning to the range...I look forward to it. Even if i didn't apply for the ccdw, I'd still be shooting.
Radnor, I mailed out FLA 2 days after dropping  DE at the prothonary...so I'm serving concurrent sentences instead of consecutive!

I've got PA ready and waiting for DE to arrive. Maybe by Christmas...would be a nice present.

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2009, 10:07:46 PM »
I've got PA ready and waiting for DE to arrive. Maybe by Christmas...would be a nice present.

10 days or so after you mail it.  I think mine was 7 days....

FYI, I'm in class tomorrow (Sunday, 18 Oct) til 12 or 1PM.  May slide over to the range after that.  IF I'm NOT too cold.  Will be outside for 2-3 hours tomorrow morning.  If too cold, may go to DSPC tomorrow night.
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

trevor

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2009, 01:43:14 AM »
I had grand plans of going to show at  Nur, then O range today, both went undone.  :(

I also have a morning job...Might be able to get over to O early afternoon as well. I'll hope its warm...

trevor

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2009, 03:32:53 PM »
49 Days left. (in theory...)

Down with the flu, no range time last week :(

There's a shop at Limestone and Kirkwood (near where the Hop used to be) that has Airsofts and Paintballs (And other supplies for which I have absolutely no use) and I picked up a spring airsoft that's quite similar to my Glock 19, but lacks the rail. Trying it in various ways as a way to get used to ccw. Has anyone else done that?

Right now, I  have a desantis IWB nylon. Kinda hard to get the shirt in between it and the belt. Any Tips?  

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2009, 11:05:30 AM »
As far as holsters are concerned order a crossbreed super tuck you can't go wrong with it. I have heard of people using airsoft guns for training.

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2009, 02:58:12 PM »
I must agree with Sig here.  The Crossbreed Super Tuck is AWESOME!.   Yes, finally found a freaking holster that can go with me EVERYWHERE (except work of course). 

Gotta getcha some!!! 

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

trevor

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2009, 12:21:50 AM »
I'll check it out, given 2 rave reviews! Does it avoid the need for a cover garment like a vest/overshirt?

I had a rough time with the desantis nylon...it was painful by the end of a full day carrying the airsoft.

I am also curious about the pancake holsters. I saw a fellow deccw'er wearing one at Ommenlanden. He was quite happy with it. The pancakes do require a cover garment.

Thanks for the pointers.

I mailed off my FLA correction today. When I sent in my FLA app a few weeks back, I had made an error checking a box (I really AM a U.S. citizen, it was a misfired brain cell). They sent me a letter asking me to clarify it, and I called one of their support folks. The support person told me that I needed to send them a notarized letter with my desired correction. I was glad they pointed out my error, and helped me to correct it rather than just rejecting it it. I'll give them an A for customer service!   :D

Also a thanks to the kind folks at x-ring, who notarized it for me. I've obtained both of my pistols there, and have been happy with their service.  :D

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2009, 01:20:07 AM »
IMO yes it can eliminate a cover up shirt. I find I can get away with just a tee shirt. I just ordered another holster for a Sig 228 on Monday so I hope to have it tomorrow or Saturday :)

trevor

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2009, 11:04:17 PM »
59 days passed so far.

Got the letter from Deputy Atty General :), stating "completed a criminal history inquiry...no information was discovered that would preclude the issuance of the license...THe Department of Justice takes no position on the issuance..."

So I guess I have their grudging :o approval? How long did it take you folks who already have them from this point?

Don't tell my wife...I'm getting a KelTec PF9 when I get the ccdw...to celebrate...