Author Topic: Police say 'around 20' killed in shooting at Orlando nightclub  (Read 8703 times)

CorBon

• Life Member
  • The Revolution starts in your heart...
All-around bad news.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/06/12/police-say-around-20-killed-in-shooting-at-orlando-nightclub-more-than-40-taken-to-local-hospitals.html?intcmp=hpbt1

Police say 'around 20' killed in shooting at Orlando nightclub, more than 40 taken to local hospitals

June 12, 2016: Orlando Police officers direct family members away from a multiple shooting at a nightclub in Orlando, Fla. (AP)
BREAKING NEWS –  A gunman who federal authorities say had possible ties to terrorism opened fire early Sunday morning at a packed Florida nightclub, killing approximately 20 people and wounding scores more in a bloody scene that ended hours later when police stormed the building and killed the suspect.

The shooting in Orlando at Pulse, which bills itself as "the hottest sexually challenged bar" in the city and was packed with more than 300 people, was reported minutes after 2 a.m. Sunday. In addition to those killed inside the club, at least 42 people were taken to area hospitals. Dozens of party-goers remained hostages in the club for several hours after the initial shooting, prompting SWAT teams to pour inside. Shortly after 6 a.m. local time, Orlando police tweeted that the gunman had been killed.

The gunman, whose identity was not immediately released, “may have leanings” toward radical Islam, FBI Special Agent in Charge Ron Harper said when asked by Fox News whether the suspect had ties to Jihadist terror groups. Harper said the investigation is looking into possible threats made previously+ by the suspect in connection to radical Islam groups. He said the agency is still investigating and has yet to confirm any role a terror group may have played in the mass shooting.

“There are allegations the individual made threats in the past to having ties to terrorist organizations,” Harper told Fox News.

"At this time we're looking at all angles right now," Harper said. "We do have suggestions that that individual may have leanings toward [radical Islam], that particular ideology. But right now we can’t say definitively so we’re still running everything around.”

The incident “is being investigated as an act of terrorism,” said Danny Banks, special agent in charge at the Florida Department of Law Enforcement, who added that “around 20” people are believed dead inside the nightclub.

Banks said the suspected shooter – who was armed with an “assault-type rifle” and a handgun -- also was dead inside the club, where he was shot and killed at around 5 a.m. in a shootout with SWAT team officers who were called in “to rescue hostages,” Chief John Mina of the Orlando Police Department said.

Mina said officers were engaged in a gun battle outside the club before the suspect went back into the building, where more shots were fired. He said the gunman then took several hostages.

"It appears he was organized and well-prepared," the chief said, adding that the shooter had an assault-type weapon, a handgun and "some type of (other) device on him."

At least 9 officers were involved in raiding the nightclub, and one officer was injured, according to Banks. The injured officer was hit by a bullet and his Kevlar helmet saved his life, Banks said.

Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer credited law enforcement with saving more lives by their heroic efforts.

“Many were saved by the heroic efforts of the Orlando Police Department and Orange County Sheriff’s Office,” he said.

Officials said the next update will take place at 9 a.m. Police said local, state and federal agencies were investigating.

Witnesses in the club reported mass chaos after hearing several shots ring out inside the nightclub.

Pulse Orlando posted on its own Facebook page around 2 a.m.: "Everyone get out of pulse and keep running." Just before 6 a.m., the club posted an update: "As soon as we have any information we will update everyone. Please keep everyone in your prayers as we work through this tragic event. Thank you for your thoughts and love."

Mina Justice was outside the club early Sunday trying to contact her 30-year-old son Eddie, who texted her when the shooting happened and asked her to call police. He told her he ran into a bathroom with other club patrons to hide. He then texted her: "He's coming."

"The next text said: 'He has us, and he's in here with us,'" she said. "That was the last conversation."

Jon Alamo said he was at the back of one of the club's rooms when a man holding a weapon came into the front of the room.

"I heard 20, 40, 50 shots," Alamo said. "The music stopped."

Club-goer Rob Rick said it happened around, 2 a.m., just before closing time.

"Everybody was drinking their last sip," he said.

He estimated more than 100 people were still inside when he heard shots, got on the ground and crawled toward a DJ booth. A bouncer knocked down a partition between the club area and an area in the back where only workers are allowed. People inside were able to then escape through the back of the club.

Christopher Hansen said he was in the VIP lounge when he started hearing gunshots. He continued to hear shooting even after he emerged, where police were telling people to back away from the club. He saw injured people being tended to across the street.

"I was thinking, are you kidding me? So I just dropped down. I just said please, please, please, I want to make it out," he said. "And when I did, I saw people shot. I saw blood. You hope and pray you don't get shot."

Ricardo Negron Almodovar, who posted a message on the club’s Facebook page describing his harrowing escape after shots broke out, described a chaotic scene.

"People on the dance floor and bar got down on the floor and some of us who were near the bar and back exit managed to go out through the outdoor area and just ran," he posted on the club's Facebook page.

"I am safely home and hoping everyone gets home safely as well."

The incident follows the fatal shooting late Friday of 22-year-old singer Christina Grimmie, who was killed after her concert in Orlando by a 27-year-old Florida man who later killed himself. Grimmie was a YouTube sensation and former contestant on "The Voice."

Police said there was no more threat to the area.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 01:40:57 PM by CorBon »
Very few guns are actually "illegal guns."  A gun misappropriated by a criminal is no more of an "illegal gun" than a stolen car is an "illegal car."

PPScarry

• Life Member
  • del ccdw license holder - NRA member
Re: Police say 'around 20' killed in shooting at Orlando nightclub
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 04:21:01 PM »
There will be a increase in conceal carry permits in Florida. A couple people armed and there would be one dead terrorist hopefully.
"There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. "
Noah Webster
 American Lexicographer

29thInfantry

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2016, 05:34:02 PM »
https://www.yahoo.com/news/orlando-fla-ap-gunman-wielding-000000701.html

Confirmed 50 dead 53 injured.. including the shooter.
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2016, 06:06:56 PM »
Let me guess... It was a gun free zone.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

29thInfantry

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2016, 06:13:44 PM »
Let me guess... It was a gun free zone.

Night club in FL so most likely not sure of the laws there.
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

29thInfantry

• Life Member
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

groundgrid

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2016, 08:14:59 PM »
Hillary is already taking advantage of the situation:

"We need to keep guns like the ones used last night out of the hands of terrorists or other violent criminals." —Hillary on the FL attack

Here’s the real issue: when your religion is government, and government is god, you cannot tolerate any other God before it
(The reason why Liberal/Progressives have waged a war on Christianity)

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2016, 11:52:45 PM »
FBI had a file on this guy since 2013. So why didn't it come up when his C/C permit or gun purchase took place? Could it be that in our government, the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing?
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

8thFA

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2016, 12:21:51 AM »
FBI had a file on this guy since 2013. So why didn't it come up when his C/C permit or gun purchase took place? Could it be that in our government, the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing?
The muslim brotherhood and other islamic groups like CAIR have infiltrated the government to such an extent that they have dampened investigations into islamic extremism.  This book is a real eye opener:

https://www.amazon.com/See-Something-Say-Nothing-Governments/dp/1944229205/ref=tmm_hrd_title_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=
US Army veteran
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
NCC

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2016, 02:35:31 AM »
Bernie Sanders weighs in:

After calling the shooting horrific and unthinkable, Sanders told NBC's "Meet The Press" that "for 25 years now, I've believed that we should not be selling automatic weapons which are designed to kill people, and we've got to do everything we can on top of that to make sure that guns do not fall into the hands of people who should not have them. Criminals and people who are mentally ill, so that struggle continues."
http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/Bernie-Sanders-guns-ban-terrorism/2016/06/12/id/733487/#ixzz4BQEQQiDw

Would have expected the Bern to be more knowledgeable. Or does he know the difference and is being intellectually dishonest?

Picked up the Kindle version of the See Something Say Nothing book that 8thFA recommended. The 25 reviews on Amazon are all 5 star which may be too good to be true but I'll see.
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2016, 12:14:56 PM »
There will be a increase in conceal carry permits in Florida. A couple people armed and there would be one dead terrorist hopefully.
Hopefully everywhere.  Sure I'll see an increase in students wanting to take the class.

Hillary is already taking advantage of the situation:

"We need to keep guns like the ones used last night out of the hands of terrorists or other violent criminals." —Hillary on the FL attack
This is the ONLY thing the bag has said I agree with as long as it stops there.
When she tries to lump you and I in there too, now we have a problem!
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Sinker

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2016, 10:03:01 AM »

I think most of us would agree that being the subject of an FBI file shouldn't in and of itself be enough to deny a US Citizen the right to purchase a firearm.

On the other hand, it should disqualify a presidential candidate!

Just Bill

• Life Member
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2016, 12:30:48 PM »
C'mon Todd, she has already said she favors an Australian style confiscation.  If the FBI had a file on the guy, I agree that he should not have passed a background check.  We are back to where we were in 2001, with agencies not sharing info.  We know how well that worked.

I just wish they would get the type of gun description correct, an AR is not an assault rifle!!!  Last night on the news some genius said we need to ban automatic weapons.  Of course this genius does not know how heavily regulated automatic weapons have been since 1935.

Bill
NRA Cert. Instructor Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun
NRA Lifer
NRA RSO
DE/PA CCDW permits
AGI certified gunsmith--Cowboy Action/1911/Glock/rifle/pistol/shotgun/rimfire
AGI Firearms Appraiser/FFL 01
AGI certified Master Gunsmith

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2016, 02:21:24 PM »
I know/  I said IF it stopped there, I'm sure all of us would be for it.

Heard her spouting off how the AWB 94-04 was so good. Sure she's NOT aware they were STILL being sold
DURING the ban.  Just removed some cosmetic features.

Well....  On 2nd thought...  Maybe just another LIE coming from her mouth.
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2016, 05:22:55 PM »
Well....  On 2nd thought...  Maybe just another LIE coming from her mouth.
She is definitely not a ventriloquist so her lips must be moving.
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.