Author Topic: Stolen Handguns - how can I find out if they have been recovered?  (Read 6750 times)

Dunmore

I had a burglary at my house recently, and two handguns were stolen. The Wilmington PD handled it. A few days later I got a phone call from a WPD detective who wanted to know if the DSP had called me. He saw a police report that one of the guns had been recovered in a domestic dispute. The DSP never called me.

I called the DSP to see if I could get the gun back, but I was told that it would have to wait until the case was settled and the gun released from evidence. I was told that I would get a call then. Well, it's been 6 months now and no call. I have tried to get more information on the case but I can learn nothing.

Has anyone tried to find out if their stolen weapons were recovered? And if so, how can I go about getting them back?

Adrenolin

• Life Member
Re: Stolen Handguns - how can I find out if they have been recovered?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 06:15:48 AM »
Did you record the names and or contact info of the WPD Detective or the DSP officer who you talked to? Did you get a Case Number from them?

If so contact them. If not I'd contact DSP and explain what happened and you'd like to know where your firearm is. If its being held I'd want to have some information as to what case number it is assigned to and a receipt from them.

Tonym

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2016, 03:30:40 AM »
As often as things get continued and postponed up there on king street 6 months isnt much time at all

Federal Firearm

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2016, 07:16:14 PM »
If you need help with that pm me ..i can find out for you

Dunmore

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 12:50:47 PM »
Through the help of one of the other members here I was put in touch with an officer of the DSP. They had recovered one of my stolen handguns in a domestic dispute. The man who had the gun received probation and the evidence was freed up. I received the gun from DSP last week.  Without active inquiries from this one officer the gun would still be in the evidence locker at DSP, and would probably stay there forever.

CorBon

• Life Member
  • The Revolution starts in your heart...
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 12:55:11 AM »
Once a weapon enters "the system", a lot of funny and time-consuming things seem to happen.  Testing, checking, not sure of its location, not sure of the status of the case, lack of signatures, and so forth.  The main thing seems to be -- if you know that it's in the system, periodic status checks need to be completed.  If not, I guess that there's a chance that it could become a manhole cover in a photo op!  Good deal on your recovery of the weapon.
Very few guns are actually "illegal guns."  A gun misappropriated by a criminal is no more of an "illegal gun" than a stolen car is an "illegal car."

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2016, 06:38:25 AM »
At least they didn't charge you a storage fee...  ;D

Glad you got it back and thumbs up to whomever assisted you.

Federal Firearm

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2016, 01:55:36 PM »
Glad i was able to assist and the firearm was returned to you....a big thank you to the dsp for following through...Anything else i can do let me know...hopefully the second one will be recovered..

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2016, 08:35:17 PM »
Well done gentlemen. The folks on this forum are awesome!
New Castle County

AudiQ

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2016, 10:02:36 PM »
Well done gentlemen. The folks on this forum are awesome!
I'll second that
Endeavor to persevere