Author Topic: Licenced Concealed Carrier shot to death after notifying that he was carrying  (Read 8666 times)

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/07/07/minn-cop-fatally-shoots-man-during-traffic-stop-aftermath-broadcast-on-facebook/

We don't have both sides of this yet but at a minimum shows why informing a police officer that you are armed may be a bad idea. Best to stay quiet  unless you have to exit the vehicle.  Otherwise just sign for the ticket thank the officer and leave respectfully.  If asked to get out, i would put up my hands, inform that I have a license and tell the officer where the gun is.

By the way Minnesota does not require notifying the officer if you are carrying.   ( Duty to inform)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 09:51:51 PM by Clarence »
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
Best thing to do in these cases is to wait until the investigation is over. Making judgement based on TV news and Internet blurbs is not an smart move.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

Clarence

• Life Member
Best thing to do in these cases is to wait until the investigation is over. Making judgement based on TV news and Internet blurbs is not an smart move.
I agree as far as if this was a justifiable shooting.  

As for police shootings, actually more whites than blacks are shot by the police. See the attached:
http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2016/07/study_cops_kill_more_whites_than_blacks_but_minority_deaths_generate_more_coverage.html
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 12:36:04 AM by Clarence »

Just Bill

• Life Member
Some states require that you tell the officer you are carrying, Del does not.  It is our obligation to know other state laws when we are traveling and carrying.  For instance, NEVER, EVER,  go to Jersey with a gun and/or hollow points.

Bill
NRA Cert. Instructor Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun
NRA Lifer
NRA RSO
DE/PA CCDW permits
AGI certified gunsmith--Cowboy Action/1911/Glock/rifle/pistol/shotgun/rimfire
AGI Firearms Appraiser/FFL 01
AGI certified Master Gunsmith

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
I will wait for the final report before passing judgment. At a minimum this is a public relations nightmare for the police department. I believe that if you are in a state that requires you to notify them that you are carrying a weapon that you should tell them but do so intelligently. Tell them you are legally carrying a firearm and without moving and with your hands in plain sight, ask them what they want you to do. Simple.  I also believe that you should not use the word “gun” because as you are telling the officer at your window that you have a “gun,” the officer that you did not see on the passenger side might only hear that one word and overreact. 

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
A couple of unanswered points. Has any state official confirmed this guy had a permit?
The girl claims they were pulled over for a broken tail light but pictures of the crime scene taken after darkness fell show both tail lights in seemingly good order. I am waiting for the police to release their version of this story.

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

CorBon

• Life Member
  • The Revolution starts in your heart...
A couple of unanswered points. Has any state official confirmed this guy had a permit?
The girl claims they were pulled over for a broken tail light but pictures of the crime scene taken after darkness fell show both tail lights in seemingly good order. I am waiting for the police to release their version of this story.

Growing up watching Speed Racer, it was possible to be left with the impression that if your car ran out of oil -- it blew up.  Now, we hear about broken tail lights -- and you have to worry about getting dragged out of your car and beaten, or shot to death.
Very few guns are actually "illegal guns."  A gun misappropriated by a criminal is no more of an "illegal gun" than a stolen car is an "illegal car."

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
A couple of observations/questions on this tragic incident.
1. The posted video starts after the shooting but it is likely that the recording started at the beginning of the traffic stop in anticipation of some newsworthy incident which is understandable.
2. According to handgunlaw.us, the MN law requires the permit holder to produce the permit on demand by the LEO. Is this where the incident escalated?
3. Isn't it SOP for the policeman to run your license number before approaching the vehicle? Was there a negative flag here causing the cop to be on edge?
4. As an old white guy, I have always made sure my hands are clearly in view when dealing with the police. Given the range of outcomes resulting from any traffic stop, I understand that the LEO could transition from Condition Yellow to Condition Red rapidly without pausing in Condition Orange.  Putting forth the effort to keep the LEO in Condition Yellow is a no-brainer.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 10:29:18 PM by Cbmarine »
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
What you need to know:

(1)The investigation is not over

(2) The evidence is unknown at this point

(3) Matters as this, tried in the public domain are usually wrong

(4) Only the Courts may determine the outcome

DECCW Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
A couple of observations/questions on this tragic incident.
1. The posted video starts after the shooting but it is likely that the recording started at the beginning of the traffic stop in anticipation of some newsworthy incident which is understandable.
2. According to handgunlaw.us, the MN law requires the permit holder to produce the permit on demand by the LEO. Is this where the incident escalated?
3. Isn't it SOP for the policeman to run your license number before approaching the vehicle? Was there a negative flag here causing the cop to be on edge?
4. As an old white guy, I have always made sure my hands are clearly in view when dealing with the police. Given the range of outcomes resulting from any traffic stop, I understand that the LEO could transition from Condition Yellow to Condition Red rapidly without pausing in Condition Orange.  Putting forth the effort to keep the LEO in Condition Yellow is a no-brainer.

When I'm driving on the highway, I always leave my wallet on the seat beside me. This way, I can keep my hands in plain sight at all times, and I don't need to reach down past my firearm.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
This is getting interesting. It seems the police pulled this guy over because they matched the description of a recent armed robbery. Here is part of the radio conversation with the police dispatch.

“I’m going to stop a car,” the officer says on the recording. “I’m going to check IDs.  I have reason to pull it over.”

“The two occupants just look like people that were involved in a robbery,” the officer says. “The driver looks more like one of our suspects, just ‘cause of the wide set nose,” the officer continues.

It is not clear yet but he could have been referring to this picture that was released to the police just the day before the shooting.

The officer very well could have told her he pulled them over because of a broken tail light because he did not want to alert them that he thought they looked like armed robbers from a recent BOLO.

According to the local sheriff his office did not issue Castille a hand gun permit

http://www.kare11.com/news/police-scanner-audio-1/267042738
https://theconservativetreehouse.com/2016/07/08/confirmed-philando-castile-was-an-armed-robbery-suspect-false-media-narrative-now-driving-cop-killings/

If you look at the video you can see that the video is a mirror image, the steering wheel is on Castille's side of the car. You can also see the handgun sticking out fro under his shirt as the gun is on his thigh.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 10:26:10 AM by Hawkeye »

Sussex County

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
Good sleuthing @Hawkeye. The MSM should have done the same research. Shame on the MSM.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 01:29:56 AM by Cbmarine »
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
This is getting better. According to the officer's attorney, the officer is Mexican, not white.

The race baiting Minnesota Governor, Mark Dayton, a Democrat of course, actually made this statement:

"Would this have happened if those passengers, the driver were white? I don't think it would have.”

Well of course not, if they were white they would not have fit the description of the armed robbers and would not have been pulled over.

Sussex County

Clarence

• Life Member
Yes Hawkeyes  excellent.  
CBS reports that 40% of the 950 people killed by police are black or Hispanic.  

Hello!!! That  means about 60 are White.

Not too far off from the population figures especially if you take the age group into account.  

It's all in how the data is presented. MSM wants to show if as grossly disproportionate and it is not.

Also MSM initially came out and said he used an AR-15.   The gun they love to hate.  Now they say it was an SKS. A pro gun website is reporting  a Saiga AKM-74

By the way, Castile's carry license is from Hennipen County.

This needs to be sorted out before Hillary and others run their mouths with hyperbole and venom.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 11:11:54 PM by Clarence »

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
Not as innocent as we first thought, which is the way the Liberal Media would have you think.
I also saw the rap sheet on Alton Sterling from Baton Rouge that the police shot. He had a rap sheet as long as your arm. Not the sweet innocent guys they would have you believe.

DECCW Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative