Author Topic: Going to the State Fair today...  (Read 5146 times)

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
Going to the State Fair today...
« on: July 23, 2016, 11:59:26 AM »
Mrs. OGG wants a fried turkey leg, and I want to take a helicopter ride and say hi to Lacey Lafferty.

Of course, they have signs up prohibiting firearms. The land belongs to "DELAWARE STATE FAIR INC" according to the Kent County Web site, so we can safely ignore the signs.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
Re: Going to the State Fair today...
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 02:25:16 PM »
Enjoy OGG! Always had a good time at the State Fair. Bring plenty of water....
New Castle County

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2016, 03:03:10 PM »
Sorry, Pass.  I live about 15 minutes drive from the Fair and haven't been there in at least 10 years.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

CorBon

• Life Member
  • The Revolution starts in your heart...
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2016, 05:56:12 PM »
Sorry, Pass.  I live about 15 minutes drive from the Fair and haven't been there in at least 10 years.
In the last few years, your fifteen minutes drive would get you to the forty-five minute wait to get in the parking lot. 

I'll readily admit, though, that the VIP Parking is absolutely worth it for anyone attending a concert.  It takes the thirty-minute exit and turns it into thirty seconds.  I'm not even exaggerating -- you can easily be off of the grounds within thirty to sixty seconds of putting the car in gear. 
Very few guns are actually "illegal guns."  A gun misappropriated by a criminal is no more of an "illegal gun" than a stolen car is an "illegal car."

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2016, 06:43:33 PM »
It was at least 95 degrees... so it wasn't crowded, and I park in the handicap lot right next to the entrance.
We made it through their incredibly tight security gauntlet, saw what we came to see, took rides in a helicopter and a Dodge Ram Rebel (nice truck!) and drove home. No waiting.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2016, 07:37:53 PM »
I've been there a few times now with my little guy. Just last week took him down as a pre 6th birthday trip to the fair, circus, zoo and the Monster Trucks last Thursday which he didn't know about until we sat down. Turning off Route 13 down the road and into the fields for parking, picked up and taken to the gate entrance took less then 5 minutes. Pretty much the same each time I've visited. Food from the vendors was good, hot and reasonably priced for the type of location. Looking to perhaps return again this week for a concert and I believe the fair remains until Saturday.

I've heard parking in the past was a nightmare but seems they have it worked out very well now.

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2016, 11:15:17 PM »
Nights of big name entertainment and weekends are going to be a beast. The heat has got to be unbearable there.
My home is air conditioned, and quiet. Can't find that at the fair. And, while the fair is looking for people to come there, I'm not.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

CorBon

• Life Member
  • The Revolution starts in your heart...
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2016, 12:36:53 AM »
I've heard parking in the past was a nightmare but seems they have it worked out very well now.

When there are concerts by people that you've heard of, and especially when you get towards the early evening, the line getting in is long.  And at the end of the night, when the concert is letting out, the line leaving is long.  There is no way around it, because just like Christiana Mall -- you basically have one way in and one way out.  And this is multiplied when the weekend comes, as pointed out above.  If there is an upside to the parking, except for the VIP stuff, it's free -- and you may even be able to hitch a ride on one of their wagons.

The Fair also seems to employ some kind of sun magnifier overhead, making the entire grounds -- and especially the track -- twenty-or-more-degrees hotter than anything around it.
Very few guns are actually "illegal guns."  A gun misappropriated by a criminal is no more of an "illegal gun" than a stolen car is an "illegal car."