Author Topic: Situational awareness; part deux!!  (Read 4923 times)

Sinker

Situational awareness; part deux!!
« on: August 09, 2016, 11:57:55 AM »
https://dspnewsroom.com/2016/08/04/troopers-investigate-strong-arm-robbery/

No indication as to whether the victim was wearing headphones, looking at his phone, etc. 
I do find it interesting that DSP recommend pretending someone is watching you and carrying a whistle as effective deterrents to muggins.

Troopers Investigate Strong Arm Robbery

Presented by Public Information Officer Master Corporal Jeffrey R. Hale

Newark, DE- Delaware State Police are investigating the strong arm robbery of a male patron of the Christiana Mall that occurred late yesterday morning.

The initial investigation has determined that the incident occurred at approximately 11:00 a.m. yesterday, Wednesday, August 3, 2016, as a 17 year old male was walking toward his car parked in the lot of the JC Penney store located at the Christiana Mall, Newark. It was at this point that the male victim was approached by two male suspects who had exited a black unknown make and model vehicle. The suspects then grabbed the victim and proceeded to remove an undisclosed amount of money from his pants pockets. The suspects then fled in the black vehicle in an unknown direction. The victim was not injured.

The suspects were both described as black males. They were 20-25 years of age, 5’10”-5’11” tall and weighed 170-180 lbs. There is no clothing description available for the suspects. No video surveillance photos are available to be released at this time.

The Delaware State Police would like to provide a few basic safety tips to help keep you safe when walking to and from your vehicle in a parking lot.

Do not wear headphones or become distracted by cell phone conversations.
    Have a co-worker watch you from a window if walking alone. Wave to them on the way to your vehicle.
    Have a whistle or other personal alarm on you.
    Have your keys in your hand before walking to your vehicle.
    Look around, inside, and underneath your vehicle befor entering. If suspicious, walk away.
    Stay aware of your surrounding at all times.
    Use the main building entrance — avoid rear or secluded exits.
    Walk down the parking lots aisles, crosswalks and sidewalks — not in-between vehicles.
    Walk in groups – there is safety in numbers.
    When walking towards your vehicle, wave even if no one is watching to give the illusion that someone is watching you.

If anyone has any information in reference to this incident they are asked to contact the robbery unit at Troop 2 at 302-365-8566. Information may also be provided by calling Delaware Crime Stoppers at 1-800-TIP-3333, via the internet at www.delaware.crimestoppersweb.com, or by sending an anonymous tip by text to 274637 (CRIMES) using the keyword “DSP.”

Like us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/DSPNewsroom/ or Twitter at https://twitter.com/DEStatePolice. To find out more about how to get your community involved in the Nextdoor application, please click on the following link: https://nextdoor.com/.

Released: 080416 1115

PPScarry

• Life Member
  • del ccdw license holder - NRA member
Re: Situational awareness; part deux!!
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 02:27:14 PM »
I read Delaware Free News. Robbery is the new normal. Be aware and ready. The last thing I ever want to do is pull my weapon and have not had to. It seems to me the odds are climbing every day. Desperate people are dangerous and it's all over the state. If you who are reading this and are carrying without one in the chamber I would consider carrying with one ready and practice holstering and un-holstering.

Protect yourself only if you feel your life is in danger, otherwise be a great witness. Stay safe.
"There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. "
Noah Webster
 American Lexicographer

Obleo

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2016, 12:28:15 PM »
I read Delaware Free News. Robbery is the new normal. Be aware and ready. The last thing I ever want to do is pull my weapon and have not had to. It seems to me the odds are climbing every day. Desperate people are dangerous and it's all over the state. If you who are reading this and are carrying without one in the chamber I would consider carrying with one ready and practice holstering and un-holstering.

Protect yourself only if you feel your life is in danger, otherwise be a great witness. Stay safe.

I will never, ever, ever, draw my weapon for any reason whatsoever.  Unless I am given no other choice.
Proud resident of Kent County DE

Paladin4CA

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2016, 02:57:00 AM »
The Delaware State Police would like to provide a few basic safety tips to help keep you safe when walking to and from your vehicle in a parking lot.

Do not wear headphones or become distracted by cell phone conversations.
    Have a co-worker watch you from a window if walking alone. Wave to them on the way to your vehicle.
    Have a whistle or other personal alarm on you.
    Have your keys in your hand before walking to your vehicle.
    Look around, inside, and underneath your vehicle befor entering. If suspicious, walk away.
    Stay aware of your surrounding at all times.
    Use the main building entrance — avoid rear or secluded exits.
    Walk down the parking lots aisles, crosswalks and sidewalks — not in-between vehicles.
    Walk in groups – there is safety in numbers.
    When walking towards your vehicle, wave even if no one is watching to give the illusion that someone is watching you.
Notice how they do NOT mention carrying even pepper spray, much less a CCW. Of course, neither will help you if you're a sheeple walking around in Condition White:
https://www.policeone.com/police-trainers/articles/2188253-Coopers-colors-A-simple-system-for-situational-awareness/

I will never, ever, ever, draw my weapon for any reason whatsoever.  Unless I am given no other choice.
Learn from George Zimmerman's mistake: know some H2H/combatives and carry pepper spray.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 03:01:08 AM by Paladin4CA »
NRA Benefactor Member
NRA-ILA supporter

8thFA

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2016, 09:12:01 PM »
A little self defense training would have helped here. 

Stay safe everyone...
US Army veteran
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
NCC

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2016, 07:30:22 PM »
Notice how they do NOT mention carrying even pepper spray, much less a CCW....

They can't because New Castle County, De has a ban on all pepper sprays ownership and use. Yet, you can walk I to any Harbor Freight store in the county as well as other locations and buy it.  ::)

Paladin4CA

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2016, 02:13:40 AM »
Notice how they do NOT mention carrying even pepper spray, much less a CCW....

They can't because New Castle County, De has a ban on all pepper sprays ownership and use. Yet, you can walk I to any Harbor Freight store in the county as well as other locations and buy it.  ::)
The SCOTUS decisions in Heller and Caetano should shoot that down, if you DE folk have any 2nd A lawyers on this forum or know of any....

NJ folk are using those two cases to attack their stun gun ban:
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-guncontrol-idUSKCN10M2AU
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 10:43:20 PM by Paladin4CA »
NRA Benefactor Member
NRA-ILA supporter