Author Topic: I get it, But...  (Read 11516 times)

FreakShow

• Life Member
I get it, But...
« on: August 10, 2016, 07:32:20 PM »
I get it that people want to carry something small as to not be seen when concealed. But i'm by no means a small guy, if i have something under my shirt, it's going to leave am inpression. But i'm not going to carry a huge cannon, but i'm gonna keep something on me that will knock them down and keep them down. so if it sticks out a bit, well whatever. I'm more concerned with my own protection than someone staring at me. Thoughts, comments, suggestions please.
I got the fever and the only prescription, is more cowbell

NRA Member

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
Re: I get it, But...
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2016, 07:54:20 PM »
Only you can decide what you will carry and how. I agree that absolute concealment might not be wise.  You need to be able to react very quick. There have been and always will be debates about caliber. Not going to get into that. It's a personal choice.

Just like most things in life, carry will be a compromise size, power, concealment etc.

Dress is one thing that seems to be overlooked.  Need to have your dress conform to your carry style

That style may vary on the type of gun you carry.

I I have found that I like OWB. (Outside the waist band) at about 3:30.  I am probably in the minority as it seems IWB or appendix carry is most preferred.  

You can get advice and experiment, but you and you alone must decide what is best for you.

As for "printing", unless it is highly obvious (1911 under a wet t-shirt) I wouldn't worry as almost no one will notice the bulge and precious few will know it's a gun.

Me?  I OWB under loose non tucking shirts. 
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 07:58:53 PM by Clarence »
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2016, 08:00:44 PM »
Keep in mind that the objective, when necessary, is a well-placed pair.  Find what fits your hand well, that you are comfortable with recoil, that you can present quickly and is comfortable enough to wear nearly all of your upright hours.  Visibility is down the list
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

FreakShow

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2016, 11:10:45 PM »
These are the type of opinions i'm looking for^^^

NRA Member

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2016, 12:03:25 PM »
I've always carried a full size gun.  Currently F&N 45 @15+1.

I prefer, IWB VS OWB.  If you are larger and carry OWB when you
sit you grow a WING on one side.  Fun with a chair with arms...
IWB keeps it close to your body.

Delaware does not have a law against printing, so dont worry about that.
Plus, the pubic is CLUELESS as to what's going on around them.
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Grettski

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2016, 03:23:08 PM »
When I took my class at the beginning of the year Kirk Marino was the instructor. He is not a small guy either. He carries a full size 1911 OWB. You really couldn't tell. He wears cotton button up shirts with a collar and cargo shorts.

I on the other had could never get away with that. I am tall and fairly thin (My wife says I have noassatall disease). But AIWB works best for me.
USAF Retired

CorBon

• Life Member
  • The Revolution starts in your heart...
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2016, 04:05:33 PM »
It always comes down to what works for you.  Inside/outside, cant, location, and even the weapon itself -- it's often a matter of trial-and-error, and personal preference.  You may not need to resort to stuffing a mouse gun into your crotch, but you also may not be able to pull off an S&W 500 -- even if it is a snubby!  Of course, when you're just starting out -- even a P3AT will feel like that 500. 

Unfortunately, even seeing something like a holster in person doesn't answer your questions -- as you can't tell how things are going to ride.  Suddenly, lavatory stalls, car seats, theater seats, doorways, jackets, and many other items, become something that you will frequently encounter -- and no longer uneventfully. 

And you may, perhaps unfortunately, eventually determine that the very weapon that you are carrying does not work for you and your situation.  But you should first work with what you have, and then go from there.  I've got stuff from OWB, IWB, pocket, shoulder, ankle, and off-body carry.  Most of it is scattered around the house, and a bunch of it has never even been used outside of trying it out inside of the house.
Very few guns are actually "illegal guns."  A gun misappropriated by a criminal is no more of an "illegal gun" than a stolen car is an "illegal car."

FreakShow

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2016, 04:24:21 PM »
i'm trying to figure out all the abreaviations, lol. abreviation knit wit here. i've been looking more toward a tactical belly band . although i bought a holster for my class, not sude how much i'd want to open carry. not sure i want to draw that kind of attention to myself. and although i wear a belt daily, it's just a regular harley davidson belt. thinking mabe i should go to Paynes and get something thicker

NRA Member

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2016, 04:40:09 PM »
IWB - inside the waistband
OWB - outside the waistband
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

FreakShow

• Life Member
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2016, 01:54:00 AM »
Thank you Sir

NRA Member

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2016, 12:05:54 PM »
You're welcome.  Anytime.  Just ask and usually your questions are answered.

Mac19701

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2016, 02:54:14 PM »
Understand the issue. Agree with commenter above that small amount of printing will not likely be noticed by 99% of people. I'm average build, 5'8", 175 and I carry IWB Glock 19 or sit P229 in Fall, winter,spring under pull over sweatshirt or regular no tuck shirt. In summer it's a pocket carry single stack 9.  Even if it prints a little, most people will think wallet in front pocket.  Also agree with other commenter that there are times when u do have to dress around the weapon, like maybe size larger slacks for IWB holster but hey, just carry a bigger weapon and you'll grow into them.

FreakShow

• Life Member
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2016, 05:19:02 PM »
i eat enough as it is, i don't want to grow into anything, lol

NRA Member

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2016, 08:22:50 PM »
It's great that Delaware has no laws against printing or accidentally flashing your concealed firearm, say pumping gas and the wind blows open your jacket. Many states do and you can be charged in either account.

Radnor is absolutely correct in the public is clueless. When I started carrying I was all worried it might show and that even with a t-shirt, sweatshirt and full length trench coat secured and tied around me with a cloak around that, everyone around could SEE the firearm I had.  ;D

One could likely go about their business today with a full sized 1911 under a wet white t-shirt and no one would notice.

99% of the time I wear a double stack Classic Walther PPQ with 16 rounds. Usually with a light t-shirt pulled over and the world goes on with their business without a clue.

Andrew1986

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2016, 08:57:00 PM »
I'm 6'3" around 185 and I carry a Glock 43 IWB Alien Gear Cloak 3.0 holster at the 4:30 position and this works for me what works for me may work for you and it might not. I personally hate appendix carry its not comfortable
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

New Castle County
DECCW Permit Holder
PA N/R Permit Holder