Author Topic: Alternatives to Glock 19?  (Read 17246 times)

MarcWinkman

• Life Member
Alternatives to Glock 19?
« on: August 11, 2016, 04:28:42 PM »
Okay folks, I'm in a little bit of a gun selection pickle.  I just filed my application on Tuesday and want to sort out what gun I'll be carrying when my license comes in.  On sort of an impulse, and because they're essentially the gold standard for concealed carry, I picked up a Glock. Again.  A little background on my history with Glocks: the first handgun I bought 10 years ago was a Gen. 3 Glock 23.  I ended up trading it toward a 1911 that I had been lusting after that turned out to be a bit of a dud.  I then got a Smith & Wesson SW99 QA in .40 which had an atrocious trigger on it.  I traded it toward another Gen. 3 Glock 23.  Hung on to it for a while and then traded it toward an HK USP .40.  About a year or so ago, I got a Gen. 4 Glock 26.  Like the previous Glocks, it wasn't in the stable for too terribly long as Glock ergonomics just feel unnatural to me. 

My gripe about the ergonomics of the Glock is this: the grip is just too bulky and blocky for my smallish hands (I wear a men's cadet medium golf glove as a reference).  Because the grip feels too big in my hand and because of the way the the backstrap is really humped out at the bottom, I feel like I never get a good secure hold on the gun, and I feel like the distance I have to reach for the trigger with my modest booger hook is just a little too long for me to be able to effectively and accurately shoot the pistol. 

So, what guns HAVE worked for me you ask, well there are a number of them, but they're all just a little too big for me to eventually CC effectively.  The ones that I currently have that I really feel comfortable with and shoot well are my Sig P226 NSW, my P226 Legion, my Wilson CQB Compact, and my Springfield TRP.  The 1911's work well for me because they're slim, so I obviously don't have the discomfort with them that I have with the Glock pistols, the problem with both of them is that they're a whole lot heftier than the Glocks, and for carry purposes, I'd much rather have a few more rounds in the gun than the 7+1 for the Wilson or the 8+1 for the TRP.  The problem with the Sigs is similar to that of the 1911, sans the low round count.  I really don't have any issues shooting the transitional DA/SA trigger on the Sigs either. 

I'm don't strongly favor hammer or striker and I don't mind a DA/SA trigger with a decocker. 

So with all that in mind, what would be the best alternatives to the Glock?  Also keep in mind, I'm a bit of a smallish dude all around at around 5'8" and 130ish LBS depending on whether I'm soaking wet with a brick in each hand. 

29thInfantry

• Life Member
Re: Alternatives to Glock 19?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 04:59:45 PM »
I carry this it has a small frame for a double stack.

http://www.ruger.com/products/sr9c/models.html

I also have the FNS40C but the grip is a little chunky on it but I also have small hands and it fits pretty nice.

https://www.fnamerica.com/products/handguns/fns-series/fns-40-compact/

I have thought about picking up a S&W shield they are a single stack and very slim. 

NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

lynch

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 08:56:51 PM »
+1 on the Ruger sr9c that 29th' suggests. Comes with two different backstraps you can swap.
DE ccdw
PA  LTCF
Utah CFP
NRA member

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2016, 11:29:39 PM »
I personally shoot 1911s better than any other gun, carrying one or two extra mags is a compromise I can live with vs carrying a higher capacity gun that I am not comfortable with. That being said, I do carry a Glock on occasions that I know I will get sweaty - cutting grass, camping (usually have both a Glock and a 1911).

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2016, 01:41:27 AM »
I think it will be difficult to fill your need. Most double stacks tend to have thicker handles. Have you considered a single stack (1911, Sig, Glock) with a spare magazine or two?
New Castle County

MarcWinkman

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2016, 01:05:14 PM »
It's not so much the thickness that's an issue for me as it is the way the Glock's grip is contoured.  I'd have no issues carrying one of my P226's, but the handle is just a shade too long, and they're just a little on the heavy side...same goes with the 1911.  Does anyone have any thoughts on something like an HK P2000?

SteveMiller

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2016, 12:11:50 PM »
Try a Springfield xd mod2.  I find the grip a bit small for my large hands.  If it offered alternate backstraps I would change to a larger one so it might be good for you.  Even though it doesn't fit me perfectly it's still a pretty comfortable shooter
Steve Miller
DSSA
NRA Life Member
Gun Owners of America

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2016, 01:22:33 PM »
In the spirit of Freedom of choice, I see everything as an alternative to a Glock 19. There is no best gun. It is what you prefer, as oppose to what others tell you, you need. What ever works for you.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

Tonym

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2016, 01:27:46 PM »
Have you tried the gen 4 glocks with the interchangable back straps? A lot of the new hks have interchangable back straps and side panels you can play with. I was considering buying a p30sk for a while.

MarcWinkman

• Life Member
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2016, 01:10:22 PM »
Have you tried the gen 4 glocks with the interchangable back straps? A lot of the new hks have interchangable back straps and side panels you can play with. I was considering buying a p30sk for a while.

The Glock 19 that I have now is a Gen 4 and it still just doesn't feel comfortable in my hand.  I'd like to get something that's about the same size in terms of overall length and height with a 15 round capacity in 9mm, just with better ergonomics for my hands. 

AudiQ

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2016, 05:01:15 PM »
Try Walther PPX or PPQ. Very different ergonomics that I find quite comfy.
Endeavor to persevere

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2016, 06:38:52 PM »
Are you in NCC Marc? You could take a ride to see Chris at FederalFirearms, and grip pistols to your hearts content.
New Castle County

MarcWinkman

• Life Member
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2016, 01:12:32 PM »
Are you in NCC Marc? You could take a ride to see Chris at FederalFirearms, and grip pistols to your hearts content.

I am in NCC.  I'll have to try to carve out some time to get down to Middletown this weekend to check out a thing or three. 

NormH3

• Life Member
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2016, 02:07:27 PM »
Might want to look at the CZ 75D pcr compact . Seems to get good ratings.

fdegree

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2016, 02:23:34 PM »
As @AudiQ said, the Walther PPQ has a comfortable, ergonomical design. Another option that is similar in it's ergonomical design is the S&W M&P 9.

As others have mentioned, you need to try them on for size, and maybe test fire a few, to find the one that fits you best.
Violence, when there is an alternative, is immoral.
Violence, when there is no alternative, is survival.
-Unknown-

A battle avoided cannot be lost.
-Sun Tzu-