Author Topic: Alternatives to Glock 19?  (Read 17263 times)

Mac19701

Re: Alternatives to Glock 19?
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2016, 01:47:08 AM »
I have G19 and P229.  The P229 is a 9mm.  Carry them both.  Love 'me both.  Each has their own advantages and disadvantages.  I find the newer P229 with the E2 grip fits my medium sided hand very well.  It's a snap-on plastic shell grip, not the two screw-on sides.  Nice ergo fit and feels better than the G19 in my hand.  Bought a hogue over size rubber grip and used that for several months then changed back to the standard E2 grip.  Only down side is weight.  I do feel the difference after carrying the sig for 6-8 hours whereas the G19 is much less noticeable.  G19 carries and shoots very well but at range after 50 rounds or so, the trigger guard wears on knuckle of middle finger so I under cut it just a little w my Dremel to make room. 

Secondly on shooting:  I find personally that the sig has a little more muzzle flip than the G19, even though the sig is heavier: certainly not unmanageable, just more noticeable.  I attribute this to the higher bore axis of the sig.  However,  my groups @ both 7 & 10 yes are actually tighter with the sig than the G19.  I attribute this to the trigger:  Glock trigger is good but the sig trigger is really great.  That's just my two cents.  They're both great guns.  That's why I keep them both.  YMMV

I'll continue to carry both.  My decision was to try to be reasonably proficient with multiple weapons rather than expert with one.  Also have revolvers that I shoot from time to time. 

29thInfantry

• Life Member
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2016, 07:42:27 AM »
What type of holsters do you use?  Maybe a change in the holster will help.  I have tried a lot of holsters and the only one that seems to be the best for me is http://stealthgearusa.com/  they are a little more expensive than most other brands but thier customer service is second to none and they are extremely comfortable holsters.  Just a suggestion maybe its not the gun but the way you carry it.
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

MarcWinkman

• Life Member
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2016, 01:38:37 PM »
What type of holsters do you use?  Maybe a change in the holster will help.  I have tried a lot of holsters and the only one that seems to be the best for me is http://stealthgearusa.com/  they are a little more expensive than most other brands but thier customer service is second to none and they are extremely comfortable holsters.  Just a suggestion maybe its not the gun but the way you carry it.

For me it's not a holster issue as far as carrying, it's just a matter of not liking how the Glock feels in my hand versus my Sig 226 or 1911's.  That said, I'm now considering a Sig P229.  I'm going to fondle a few other things.  I'm going to try to get down to Federal Firearm either Friday or Saturday.  I definitely need to buy some more ammo, and if another pistol follows me home, great.  If one doesn't follow me home, also great.  I'm certainly not in immediate need of any new firearms at the moment. 

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2016, 08:34:35 PM »
Try Walther PPX or PPQ. Very different ergonomics that I find quite comfy.

I've been carrying the classic Walther PPQ with the paddle release for years. They also have the button release now. Absolutely one fine handgun for sure. With more then several thousands rounds through it it's never once had a failure on me.

The smaller PPS is just as outstanding and you can't get much thinner or smaller in a 9mm that still has the heft and accuracy it has.

I find Walther fails to advertise enough and they are glanced over much more then they should be. I've never walked into a gun store and had a salesmen point out a Walther unless specially requested. It's a shame really. I know half a dozen people have purchased one or the other after shooting mine at the range.

Not saying they are the absolute perfect handgun but they are indeed everything you could want in one. Dependable, accurate, stylish, comfortable, affordable, etc.

MarcWinkman

• Life Member
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2016, 05:56:21 PM »
Well, I didn't get down to Federal, but I did treat myself to a couple of Walthers, a P99 AS and a P99 AS Compact.  The full size feels great in my hand and I really dig the trigger system (I'm a dedicated SAO or a DA/SA type).  I love that they're striker fired but still DA/SA so that I have second strike capability if I have a hard primer or a light strike.  Can't wait to get these out to the range this week on my weekly lunch time shooting trip. 

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2016, 03:09:16 PM »
Can't go wrong with a Walther! The PPQ is definitely my choice but absolutely nothing wrong with the P99 family at all. Nice that there is something for everyone!  ;D

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2016, 10:50:37 PM »
Start a thread on any gun that is new on the market or even new to you and everyone has to tell you why theirs is better. Nobody cares. Be happy with what you got.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

LostM

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2016, 01:05:10 AM »
There is no alternative to the G19, everything else is a compromise  ;D

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2016, 02:17:13 AM »

Thanks for reminding me why I refuse to buy or own a Glock...  ::)

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2016, 10:47:00 AM »
Glocks and 1911s - adopted by military for 100 years, and most law enforcement around the world....the other guns are cute :)

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2016, 12:34:35 PM »
The 1911 I'll grant you yes. Not because of its greatness but to its ground breaking design 100 years ago. Yes, it's a solid handgun. The Glock.. Again, it transformed an industry and they very aggressively target military and government contracts. It's selected more so due to costs and parts then reliability over other handguns today. They have had tons of issues over the years as well. Pleanty of other handguns based on the Glock design are every bit as durable and reliable today. CZ, FN, Walther are but a a few that have large military, government and LE contracts throughout the world today.

LostM

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2016, 06:22:52 PM »

Thanks for reminding me why I refuse to buy or own a Glock...  ::)
no problem! more of them for people that dont want to compromise :)

NormH3

• Life Member
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2016, 06:58:23 PM »
A bit late I guess. Since you like Sigs, I would have suggested the P239. Single stack and same controls as the P226...which I also have.

MarcWinkman

• Life Member
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2016, 06:15:07 PM »
The P239 did actually catch my attention, as did the new P225-A1, but I ended up picking up another Sig from Chris yesterday, this time a P229.  The full sized P99 may be going up for adoption soon.

newguy

« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2016, 10:33:05 AM »
The P239 did actually catch my attention, as did the new P225-A1, but I ended up picking up another Sig from Chris yesterday, this time a P229.  The full sized P99 may be going up for adoption soon.

Nice gun.  I used to have a P229 and I loved it.  Based upon what you seem to like, if you find yourself back in the market (or want other choices at times) I'd have also suggested a CZ PCR or P01, a SIG P239, and a 3" or 4" alloy framed 1911 (though, personally, I prefer a DA first shot or DAO pver a manual safety in my defensive pistols).  If you decide you also want something significantly smaller for those times that smaller is better, since you are a 1911 guy, maybe the SIG P238 or P938 would work for you.