Author Topic: Carry Holster for Ruger LCP  (Read 12674 times)

21fred

Carry Holster for Ruger LCP
« on: August 19, 2016, 03:16:49 PM »
I've had my permit for about 4 years now and finally purchased something that I can conceal..  Due to the fact that I want to pack it while running and biking, I needed something small so opted for the Ruger LCP.

Other than carrying in the pocket, I am looking for a way to carry every day as well as for running.  Thinking about some sort of waistband made to carry a phone while running.

Not sure about every day use.  I think I like the idea of carrying in the small of the back.  Carrying up front sounds convenient but I'm squeamish about having the gun pointed right a my Junk!

Also, do you carry some sort of lock box in your vehicle (for when you go into a state you are not permitted for or someplace where you can't carry).

Any advise will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
Re: Carry Holster for Ruger LCP
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 04:02:41 PM »
Also, do you carry some sort of lock box in your vehicle (for when you go into a state you are not permitted for or someplace where you can't carry).

The Gunvault Nanovault works well for me in the car.
http://www.gunvault.com/nano-vault-100.html
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

29thInfantry

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 04:07:57 PM »
I've had my permit for about 4 years now and finally purchased something that I can conceal..  Due to the fact that I want to pack it while running and biking, I needed something small so opted for the Ruger LCP.

Other than carrying in the pocket, I am looking for a way to carry every day as well as for running.  Thinking about some sort of waistband made to carry a phone while running.

Not sure about every day use.  I think I like the idea of carrying in the small of the back.  Carrying up front sounds convenient but I'm squeamish about having the gun pointed right a my Junk!

Thanks!

I have heard people using a CC style fanny pack I have never tried it myself.  As far as appendix carry I know a few people that use this method they usually carry at 100 to 130 so it is never pointed at your junk.  Keeping your trigger discipline and a proper holster will keep you from ever shooting off your junk.  I have wanted to try this method but I am a fat man and it was very uncomfortable for me.  As far as the Small of the back carry I think it can be a painful lesson having a hard metal object by your spine and if you fall on it that could turn out badly but maybe I am looking at that just like some people look at appendix carry.  But you are way more likely to be pushed down on your back by an attacker and fall on your back which makes the firearm very hard to get to.    
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

29thInfantry

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 04:13:25 PM »
Remember when traveling with a firearm if you are going to MD for example you must be traveling through the state and not stopping at moms house.  You must be going to the range and back or traveling through that state but it must remain locked up and unloaded with the ammo and firearm separated.   Radnor would be the best one to ask for more elaborate details

18 U.S. Code § 926A - Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.
(Added Pub. L. 99–360, § 1(a), July 8, 1986, 100 Stat. 766.)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 04:18:29 PM by 29thInfantry »
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2016, 08:06:33 PM »
The GunVault NV300 NanoVault with Combination Lock is what I use most of the time. We have a larger one we use if traveling for both our firearms.

Note .. I believe some states require magazines to be empty as well I believe. Iirc MD required this so I've always ensured mags were empty.

Also, NJ for example doesn't allow hollow points so make sure you take precautions.

[Inserted by Radnor]
http://www.njsp.org/firearms/transport-hollowpoint.shtml
[/End of inserted info]

As for carrying during sports.. There are belly wraps and undershirts available with pockets to allow CCW. I've never bothered with them myself but have seen them and others here have used them. While I haven't run in years, something I'm working at now to get back into, I do cycle. I carry a full sized Walther PPQ at 3:00 in a MTAC holster and have no issues with 40 mile cycle rides or hiking. I also carry while off-road with my motorcycle, where permitted, and no issues.

Appendix carry I'm not comfortable with so simply don't.

I own an LCP but don't use it much. Wife uses it at times. When I do it's simply put in a Blackhawk Size 1 pocket holster and dropped into a pocket by itself. My opinion is nothing else should ever be in the same pocket with a firearm.. aside from the holster. :)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 09:28:58 PM by Radnor »

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2016, 09:08:46 PM »
Note .. I believe some states require magazines to be empty as well I believe. Iirc MD required this so I've always ensured mags were empty.

Unless they changed their laws since I last wrote them, might want to do a little digging.  My questions to them are numbered
followed by their answers.

Mark H Bowen -State Police- <mark.bowen@maryland.gov>
        11/20/13 at 11:39 AM

To

Radnor's email addy
Message body
Dear Mr. Radnor,

I have been asked to respond to the questions raised in your recent email to Attorney General Gansler.

1.    Can I bring into the State an AR-15 and shoot it at a range located in Maryland?

Section 4-303(a) of the Criminal Law Article, Annotated Code of Maryland generally prohibits transportation of an assault weapon into Maryland and possession of assault weapons in Maryland.  However, Section 4-303(b)(3) states that, "A person who lawfully possessed, has a purchase order for, or completed an application to purchase an assault long gun or a copycat weapon before October 1, 2013, may: (i)   possess and transport the assault long gun or copycat weapon . . . ."

Accordingly, if you lawfully owned, or had a completed application or purchase order pending for, your AR-15 prior to October 1, 2013, you may bring it into Maryland and shoot it in any location where it is lawful to discharge firearms.

2.    Can I use magazines that hold more than 10 rounds for the AR?

Section 4-305 of the Criminal Law Article, Annotated Code of Maryland, with certain exceptions, prohibits the, "manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or transfer a detachable magazine that has a capacity of more than 10 rounds of ammunition for a firearm."  The law does not prohibit the possession or transportation of high capacity magazines.

Accordingly, you may lawfully transport into, and possess within, Maryland magazines holding more than 10 rounds.

3.    Can I leave my magazines loaded?

Maryland law requires that firearms transported in a vehicle be unloaded.  There is no requirement that magazines also be unloaded.  Handguns must be transported, unloaded, "in an enclosed case or holster."

4.    My handgun magazines hold more than 10 rounds, are they legal?

The magazine capacity law referred to above applies to all detachable magazines.

With regard to the transportation of handguns in Maryland, under Section 4-203 of the Criminal Law Article, it is generally illegal to wear, carry or transport a handgun on your person or in a motor vehicle.  A number of exceptions exist under the statute that allow, for example, a person to wear, carry or transport a handgun on real estate that the person owns or leases or where the person resides or within the confines of a business establishment that the person owns or leases; to transport a handgun between bona fide residences; between residence and place of sale or repair; and, in connection with a target shoot, formal or informal target practice, sport shooting event, hunting and similar functions -- provided that the handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or enclosed holster during transport.  An exception also exists for individuals who have been issued a permit to carry a handgun by the Maryland State Police (Maryland does not recognize handgun carry permits issued by other states).

Mark H. Bowen
Assistant Attorney
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2016, 09:11:26 PM »
My original email request:

Radnor <Radnor@under.the.bridge.com>
        11/20/13 at 10:22 AM

To

oag@oag.state.md.us

Message body
Dear Attorney General Gansler;

I am a Delaware resident who often shoots at ranges located in Maryland.  Would you clarify a few things for me as I have NO interest in becoming Maryland's newest felon?

Can I bring into the State an AR-15 and shoot it at a range located in Maryland?
    Can I use magazines that hold more than 10 rounds for the AR?

I have a Delaware Concealed  Weapons Permit I realise is not honoured by Maryland.  So before entering into Maryland I unload the firearm and place it in a holster that covers the trigger guard which is then placed in the back of my SUV (as far away from me as possible).

Can I leave my magazines loaded?
    My handgun magazines hold more than 10 rounds, are they legal?

If I understand Maryland's code correctly, I can go DIRECTLY to and from a shooting range, FFL, gunsmith, and my residence in Maryland if I had one.  I'm sure reasonable stop would be permitted too (gas / food).

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my questions.

Radnor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2016, 10:05:06 PM »
Awesome. Thank you for correcting me on that and the included NJ HP link.

Love this forum for sure!

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2016, 10:54:41 PM »
Here's a great line of holsters, economically priced, made here in Florida, quick shipping.

http://www.theholsterstore.net/ruger-lcp-380-holsters-s/1902.htm

I use them myself and have for years.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2016, 12:40:16 AM »
Awesome. Thank you for correcting me on that and the included NJ HP link.

Love this forum for sure!

You're welcome!

But DO NOT take my word for it and it is NOT legal advice.  Do your own research!!!
Laws constantly change.  Dont want you to be todays newest FELON.

joep19934

• Life Member
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2016, 12:56:20 AM »
I've had my permit for about 4 years now and finally purchased something that I can conceal..  Due to the fact that I want to pack it while running and biking, I needed something small so opted for the Ruger LCP.

Other than carrying in the pocket, I am looking for a way to carry every day as well as for running.  Thinking about some sort of waistband made to carry a phone while running.

Not sure about every day use.  I think I like the idea of carrying in the small of the back.  Carrying up front sounds convenient but I'm squeamish about having the gun pointed right a my Junk!

Thanks!

I'm not sure if it will work but some people on here use a sneaky pete maybe that will work for what activity you're doing.
Oh and I keep a keyed Gunvault Nanovault 100 in my car, you never know when you'll need it.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 01:08:23 AM by joep19934 »
18 Day Turnaround
Kent County
NRA Member
DE/PA CCDW permits
BRIDGEVILLE RIFLE & PISTOL CLUB Member
Delaware State Sportsman's Association

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2016, 04:41:30 AM »
You're welcome!

But DO NOT take my word for it and it is NOT legal advice.  Do your own research!!!
Laws constantly change.  Dont want you to be todays newest FELON.

Ha.. I always error on the side of caution these days and would always follow up.

8thFA

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2016, 12:05:52 AM »
My summer carry is a Ruger LC380 and I use an Alien gear cloak tuck 3.0 IWB.  Works well, was fairly cheap, and got it in a few days.  Have used it all summer.

http://aliengearholsters.com/alien-gear-cloak-tuck-3-0-iwb-holster-inside-the-waistband.html/
US Army veteran
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
NCC

21fred

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2016, 04:33:56 PM »
Thanks for all of the advice!

I have some shopping to do now..

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2016, 06:25:38 PM »
I don't imagine you wear a belt while on a run, so this may not be helpful. I bought the Galco Tuck-n-go in waistband holster for the Ruger LCP. Made from steer hide. $36 on Galco website, $30 on Amazon. Ive been using it at 4:30 position. Like it so far (~ one month).

https://www.galcogunleather.com/tuck-n-go-inside-the-pant-holster_8_7_1320.html
New Castle County