Author Topic: Front sight shifted while shooting...  (Read 6055 times)

8thFA

Front sight shifted while shooting...
« on: August 21, 2016, 01:34:29 AM »
I bought a LC380 to use as a summer carry, been carrying it pretty much every day for months.  Took it to the range today and couldn't hit the bullseye to save my life.  That's when I noticed the front sight was shifted so far to the right that the edge of the sight was sticking out past the slide, causing all my rounds to hit way left of center.

Needless to say, I'm not to happy, good thing this didn't happen when I needed to hit something, and thankfully I have my XDM, so I'm not left without a gun to carry.  Contacted Ruger, we will see what happens.

My question is, has anyone else ever had a front sight loosen up and shift like that while shooting?  I didn't drop the thing or whack it on anything, and the last time I shot two weeks ago it was fine...
US Army veteran
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
NCC

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
Re: Front sight shifted while shooting...
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 12:35:04 PM »
I think you made the correct call contacting Ruger, since the pistol is fairly new. Perhaps still under a warranty. Ive never had that happen, and have been shooting a long time. If im not mistaken, sights are slid on and off from the right side of the frame, so it makes sense that its creeping in that direction. If it was an older gun, I'd put a drop of lok-tite on there and oush it back with a sight pusher tool. Let is know what Ruger does for you. Hopefully they will have you mail them the slide so they can check tolerances, and replace if needed.
New Castle County

8thFA

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 02:17:37 AM »
I think you made the correct call contacting Ruger, since the pistol is fairly new. Perhaps still under a warranty. Ive never had that happen, and have been shooting a long time. If im not mistaken, sights are slid on and off from the right side of the frame, so it makes sense that its creeping in that direction. If it was an older gun, I'd put a drop of lok-tite on there and oush it back with a sight pusher tool. Let is know what Ruger does for you. Hopefully they will have you mail them the slide so they can check tolerances, and replace if needed.

They called me today, I had the choice of just sending in the slide to get pinned (seems I'm not the first to have this issue) which would take a week to get back, or send the whole weapon in, which will take a few weeks, but they will repair and rezero the sights.  If I just send the slide, they can't.

They emailed me a free shipping label, so off to Arizona she goes.  Prompt service, this should do the trick.
US Army veteran
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
NCC

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 01:51:30 PM »
Sturm Ruger has always been a great company to deal with. I have always had excellent responses with them. Buy US Made.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

seniorgeek

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 10:37:43 PM »
Sturm Ruger has always been a great company to deal with. I have always had excellent responses with them. Buy US Made.

Agree totally.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NRA Member
Combat Veteran
Southeastern Sussex County

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 11:06:50 PM »
I haven't been impressed with any of Rugers semi-auto pistols personally. I have an LCP, who doesn't. It's not used or carried often. I've shot and handled many of their lineup but just don't do anything for me. Have a couple of their rifles from their .22 through .308 and they are solid. Have several of their revolvers and to me this is where Ruger shines most. Affordable, most are built like tanks, well designed & engineered, great looking and lifetime warrantee basically.

Not saying their semi-autos are bad.. Just nothing stands out or makes me want to buy one.

Meant to add.. I have purchased two older revolvers that had issues. Both times Ruger was standup and repaired them both to new condition, including polishing the stainless. Amazing customer service for sure!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 11:14:15 PM by Adrenolin »

8thFA

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2016, 12:40:56 AM »
I too was impressed with their service.  Got my .380 back today.  Ruger had replaced the barrel and the front sight.  They even included the target they used when test firing as well listing the ammo they used.  Fired at 10 yards, nice tight pattern!

Very good customer service.
US Army veteran
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
NCC

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2016, 01:42:03 AM »
Our first semi-auto was a Ruger P97; the second was a P345. Both had about a 2-3% misfeed rate: regardless of ammo brand or type, you could count on at least one malfunction per 50-rd. box of ammo.
My wife still insists on revolvers after those experiences.
I switched to Glock, and never looked back.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

8thFA

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2016, 12:36:52 AM »
Our first semi-auto was a Ruger P97; the second was a P345. Both had about a 2-3% misfeed rate: regardless of ammo brand or type, you could count on at least one malfunction per 50-rd. box of ammo.
My wife still insists on revolvers after those experiences.
I switched to Glock, and never looked back.
Can't blame you there. :)
US Army veteran
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
NCC

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2016, 03:24:44 AM »
Glad they resolved the issue. Interesting that some manufacturers don't pin the front sight, it should me the norm.

8thFA

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2016, 11:07:19 PM »
Glad they resolved the issue. Interesting that some manufacturers don't pin the front sight, it should me the norm.
Me too.  Can't wait to take her out and see how she does.
US Army veteran
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
NCC