Author Topic: It's here  (Read 11450 times)

Adrenolin

• Life Member
Re: It's here
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2016, 10:36:06 AM »
You really don't have to do all that and it's not recommended. Remove the slide, spring and barrel, clean and lub, reassemble and go shoot. A general field stripping and cleaning is all most handguns will ever need done on a regular basis.

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2016, 03:24:15 PM »
Just shoot the gun, don't worry about cleaning the internals too much. When time comes to completely disassemble you will need a punch to remove the mainspring housing, a small flat screwdriver for the mag catch, and another driver for whatever kind of screws you have on your grips.

Never disassemble the mainspring housing, not needed.

Just Bill

• Life Member
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2016, 07:34:58 PM »
If it is new and tight, you will probably need a barrel bushing wrench, get a plastic one, so you don't scratch that magnificent steel.  Other that a screw driver and a few punches, there are no special tools for disassembly.  Most pins are just pushed out, the ones that need a punch/hammer should not be needed for a long time.  Glocks are the ones that come apart quickly w/a single punch.
NRA Cert. Instructor Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun
NRA Lifer
NRA RSO
DE/PA CCDW permits
AGI certified gunsmith--Cowboy Action/1911/Glock/rifle/pistol/shotgun/rimfire
AGI Firearms Appraiser/FFL 01
AGI certified Master Gunsmith

lynch

• Life Member
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2016, 08:23:38 PM »
Like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gpXA088tgw

Guy calls it a barrel bushing tool.
DE ccdw
PA  LTCF
Utah CFP
NRA member

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2016, 11:41:43 PM »
I have one of those barrel bushing tools. Think it came with my SR1911.. maybe not. It is useful a few times but I never use anymore on my 1911s. I find it fairly easy to press the bushing down, turn the bushing clockwise, remove the spring, etc. Reassembly is easy as well. Maybe I have easier springs but even with a pointy textured end its not hard to do. To me it's a useless tool that I'm not even sure where it is anymore.

Not saying don't get one! They are cheap enough if you don't have one and everyone likes doing things differently. Just saying give it a try with your fingers first and see how it goes. That video Lunch shared was a nice disassembly video. Made me go do it on one of mine since its been awhile since it was out 😜

FreakShow

• Life Member
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2016, 05:39:15 PM »
the recoil spring come out differently on the gun. it gives you an allen wrench, you unscrew it. don't even need the other lettle wrench. just have to take it apart as follows in the rest of the video

[attachment deleted by admin]
I got the fever and the only prescription, is more cowbell

NRA Member

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2016, 09:58:14 PM »
I would replace that with a GI model.

JAB62

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2016, 01:12:10 AM »
Now that you have your 1st 1911 you will want more. I have several and still looking for more. :)

FreakShow

• Life Member
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2016, 02:14:39 AM »
I would replace that with a GI model.

Saw that in a video where a guy changed his to that. Know of a place where i can get one. would federal have that part

NRA Member

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2016, 03:10:39 AM »
Maybe Federal has it. I bought mine online direct from Ed Brown - you need the guide standard rod and plug.

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2016, 04:13:09 AM »
the recoil spring come out differently on the gun. it gives you an allen wrench, you unscrew it. don't even need the other lettle wrench. just have to take it apart as follows in the rest of the video

Yuk!  ;D Yeah.. I'd be changing that. Chris can likely get you what you want or source it yourself online. Lots of 1911 part vendors.

FreakShow

• Life Member
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2016, 12:34:39 PM »
since being new to all this i'll ask Chris next time i'm up there.

NRA Member

MarcWinkman

• Life Member
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2016, 01:13:29 PM »
since being new to all this i'll ask Chris next time i'm up there.

Just grab a Wilson Combat Bullet Proof GI Guide Rod and End Plug.  Gets rid of the goofy Springfield two piece full length guide rod. 

FreakShow

• Life Member
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2016, 01:48:16 PM »
will do, thanks

NRA Member