Author Topic: What is this classified as?  (Read 7542 times)

LostM

What is this classified as?
« on: November 28, 2016, 02:58:24 PM »
I have a few questions that intertwine.

1st, I would like to buy this :
http://www.armsunlimited.com/CAA-RONI-G2-9-Glock-Pistol-to-Carbine-Stock-p/roni-g2-9.htm

Is it legal in DE or do I need a stamp?

2nd, can you even have an SBR in DE?  ( links to actual current laws would be great, i dont like the generic summaries most google searches report)

3rd, with a CCDW, if it is still a pistol, is it covered?  IE, if collapsed and slung under a jacket, are we within our rights?

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
Re: What is this classified as?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 04:47:07 PM »
Delaware's permit is for Delaware Concealed Carry of Deadly Weapons. As long as it is not a fully automatic (machine gun) or a switchblade knife, it is legal to carry concealed. The question that comes to mind is , why would you?
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 09:04:05 PM »
Delaware has no law against short barrel rifles.  If you have it registered federally that is all you need.  

However to register an NFA weapon, you need a sign off on the federal form from your local police chief.  If you live in a small town maybe you have a shot, but for most of us it is the state police.  Good luck with that.

Most Other NFA weapons like machine guns and short shotguns are illegal in Delaware.

Have to agree with Sturm Ruger on this.  Why would you want to carry this rig? I see no tactical advantage.
Now if its just for fun?...well that's another story. Like blasting away at watermelons.  😺
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 09:13:15 PM by Clarence »
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 09:21:56 PM »
From the Web page:
"Disclaimer : If you own a host pistol and install this product, your pistol will become a short-barreled rifle. You must first register your pistol with the ATFE using ATFE Form 1."

No thanks.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

topper

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 01:16:29 AM »
Does look like fun, but not for the paper work required.
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms…disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes…

USAF Vietnam Era Veteran
Army National Guard
Civil Air Patrol
NRA Life Time Member
DE CCW
PA CCW

LostM

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2016, 01:32:48 PM »
Delaware has no law against short barrel rifles.  If you have it registered federally that is all you need.  

However to register an NFA weapon, you need a sign off on the federal form from your local police chief.  If you live in a small town maybe you have a shot, but for most of us it is the state police.  Good luck with that.

Most Other NFA weapons like machine guns and short shotguns are illegal in Delaware.

Have to agree with Sturm Ruger on this.  Why would you want to carry this rig? I see no tactical advantage.
Now if its just for fun?...well that's another story. Like blasting away at watermelons.  😺

Thanks, Ill have to lok into it then.

As for "need" i think we all know the generic answer to that one...

But in reality, there is no immidiate reason to, just figured while i was inquiring about it, would be nice to know if it was within my legal ability to do so. 

I think ill hit up a local gun shop and see if i can order it through them, they would know the overall law, as there seems to be 2 different consensus now, as well as i like to shop local and support local business.

Also, i think it would be good for the wife. I plan on buying a G17 to add to the G19 family, and this could be hers, if the need ever arose/range time

cheaper than using the AR and easier to manipulate

PPScarry

• Life Member
  • del ccdw license holder - NRA member
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2016, 04:04:27 PM »
It's cool. Looks like fun at the range, maybe home defense although a pistol works for me. I can't see carrying that anywhere else nor an AR- 15 for that matter. But I'd be saving up for an AR with a longer barrel for the range/home defense. I don't want to discourage you however. I say go for it if that's what you want, this is America. I have a feeling Clarence is right concerning the State Police. Even a small town Chief would have a crooked eyebrow. Good luck. It's a cool piece for sure and anyone would like to shoot that.

I would talk to Chris at Federal Firearm. That guy knows everything as far as federal paperwork/requirements.
"There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. "
Noah Webster
 American Lexicographer

JonathanG

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2016, 07:27:27 PM »
You can set up a revocable trust for NFA items and, in doing so, bypass the need for any state or local law enforcement permissions. Additionally, you can add multiple people to the trust, which allows other people in your home, or relatives, close friends, etc, to handle the weapons legally. That is always an option. That said, I don't think I'd go through the trouble for this particular product.

LostM

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2016, 08:03:10 PM »
It's cool. Looks like fun at the range, maybe home defense although a pistol works for me. I can't see carrying that anywhere else nor an AR- 15 for that matter. But I'd be saving up for an AR with a longer barrel for the range/home defense. I don't want to discourage you however. I say go for it if that's what you want, this is America. I have a feeling Clarence is right concerning the State Police. Even a small town Chief would have a crooked eyebrow. Good luck. It's a cool piece for sure and anyone would like to shoot that.

I would talk to Chris at Federal Firearm. That guy knows everything as far as federal paperwork/requirements.

Thanks, ill check out federal.
I already have an AR, plan on building an AR10 now as well.
Im friends with several local LEO, we are all neighbors, and they've asked for some group instruction as i have an extensive background in the "application of firearms".  I could pick their brains on their thoughts about getting the OK.

You can set up a revocable trust for NFA items and, in doing so, bypass the need for any state or local law enforcement permissions. Additionally, you can add multiple people to the trust, which allows other people in your home, or relatives, close friends, etc, to handle the weapons legally. That is always an option. That said, I don't think I'd go through the trouble for this particular product.

Another good idea, much appreciated.  I heard it can take some time to do so though, any other incites?

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2016, 09:24:26 PM »
There was/is a kit for the Walther PPQ similar to this that I was looking into myself. I spoke directly to the Feds about it as there was no disclaimer on the vendors page. They told me it was a "gray area" since the handgun wasn't technically being changed or modified. The barrel remains the same but the issues with the forward grip and stock introduce similarities to a short barreled riffle. While it's legal in that gray area I don't know many who wish to argue that with the Feds. Note this was a few years ago so things could have changed but they said most people would be fine but if you were stopped, detained, investigated, arrested, etc then this could add a heavy additional charge. Personally, and I have argued with them on other matters, I walked away from this one.  ;D