Author Topic: 'Twas an interesting comment at the kent cty prothonotary's office  (Read 8558 times)

LostM

So Im turning in my paperwork for ccdw today. The Mrs assisting me went through my packet to ensure it is all there.  (its not complete, as my certificate for the DE ccdw course has still NOT yet arrived- not too happy with the course I took, rather pissed actually- more later if you guys want feedback about that too)

Anyway, Im newly relocated to DE so I had my 5 year drivers abstract in there. She hands it back to me and says its not needed. I asked her to say that again to double check what I just heard, and she again says, maybe the investigator needs it, but its not needed right now.  I politely asked if we could keep it in there, as im pretty sure its required. Then I said, if they want to throw it away, thats on the investigator, but I would like to keep it in.  She didnt seem to mind or think twice about it.

All in all, its a really a non issue as its in there. But being the suspicious person I am and just relocating from the Peoples Republic of NJ, I wanted to post up and ask if that was something new, just an honest mistake, or someone intentionally trying to delay the process?

Grettski

Re: 'Twas an interesting comment at the kent cty prothonotary's office
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 02:44:13 AM »
Congrats on filing! I agree with keeping that in the package. From reading posts here they'll be asking for it anyway. Did she give you a guess on how many months/years the process is taking these days?  ;D
USAF Retired

LostM

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 02:52:55 AM »
No idea on time frame. i expect 6 months, ill be happy if its 4, ecstatic if its less.

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 06:25:27 AM »
She is correct.. its not needed nor is it a state requirement for a ccdw permit. I completely agree with her saying it wasn't needed.

That said.. Yes.. you'd most likely get a phone call from the federal investigators a few months from now requesting your driving history in order for them to complete their investigation.. holding up the process even longer while you get it from NJ and submit it to the agents. Both my wife and I received this call and many others who have newly relocated to DE have as well.

So.. great news that you requested it stay in the packet along with the rest of the documentation.  ;D

LostM

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 02:02:13 PM »
Just an update/clarification.  Packet was turned in a few minutes ago instead of yesterday as I did not have cash or a check on me.

However, a different person helped me today, and also stated she has never seen the drivers abstract. 

Also, she had stated the wait time is longer than 6 months now as they are/were backlogged.

Obleo

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2016, 09:22:55 PM »
Just an update/clarification.  Packet was turned in a few minutes ago instead of yesterday as I did not have cash or a check on me.

However, a different person helped me today, and also stated she has never seen the drivers abstract. 

Also, she had stated the wait time is longer than 6 months now as they are/were backlogged.

I am proud of Kent County for many things.  Have faith.  They are always backlogged. They just didn't want to give you false hope because this is an election year.
Proud resident of Kent County DE

LostM

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2016, 02:48:17 PM »
I was/am prepared for a long wait with the county, i am from NJ afterall.  Im still getting more and more aggravated with the CCDW course i took for not getting me the certificate in a timely matter. Im not the sort of person that likes to do things incomplete and the wait time was not disclosed before paying for the course, and even more pissed that they have gone beyond that timeframe. Its not like "its in the mail" and going across the country

FreakShow

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2016, 03:24:14 PM »
i feel lucky with the course i took, he had the certificates right there and gave them to us. course was 150 and that included the range fee. Delaware Tactical on FB
I got the fever and the only prescription, is more cowbell

NRA Member

LostM

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2016, 01:55:21 AM »
yea, this course was the same cost. i could actually critique it in detail, but im trying to be civilized, if its not here tomorrow, ill post it up most likely. I was hoping I could just get past the issues now that the day was over, and the course is in the past, but if this is how they operate, people should know what they are getting into.  very fast in responding to emails and calls to get me in the course and extremely fast to send an invoice over, not so fast in responding now and holding up there end.

FreakShow

• Life Member
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2016, 06:49:15 AM »
my instructor didn't walk anyone through the course nor did he LET anyone pass. He told us right from the start. If he thought anyone was being to unsafe to complete the course, he would refund them their money and he would part ways with them. he said he was not there to just let people pay to get a certificate. my instructor is the lead gun instructor at the academy in Dover of all the correctional officers in the state of Delaware
I got the fever and the only prescription, is more cowbell

NRA Member

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2016, 02:41:18 AM »
Who was the class through and how long ago? Have you called them to ask if its been mailed out yet and if not if you could stop by and pick it up? I believe ours was mailed out about 1 week after the class. No issues since we had took it early.

LostM

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2016, 05:03:47 PM »
my instructor didn't walk anyone through the course nor did he LET anyone pass. He told us right from the start. If he thought anyone was being to unsafe to complete the course, he would refund them their money and he would part ways with them. he said he was not there to just let people pay to get a certificate. my instructor is the lead gun instructor at the academy in Dover of all the correctional officers in the state of Delaware

and thats the way it should be. i would have liked to see that happen in my course, and sadly did not

LostM

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2016, 05:07:57 PM »
Who was the class through and how long ago? Have you called them to ask if its been mailed out yet and if not if you could stop by and pick it up? I believe ours was mailed out about 1 week after the class. No issues since we had took it early.
I posted a review of it yesterday. I have contacted them 3 times, only one response and that was to keep an eye on the mail.  I would have gladly drove the hour down and picked it up as soon as it was ready. I however, do not like to be "that guy" that is impatient, so I stick to their "advertised" timeline.  if its not here this week, Ill likely schedule another course with a different business, just so that
A. i can have a certificate and be done with prior business, and
B. get a different vantage point of the classes offered.

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2016, 04:34:18 AM »
I'm sure it'll turn up soon. We took our course through First State Firearms Training with Dave and Jeff Johnson in Bear. A father and Son. Everyone meet at the State range went over a few things, questions were answered and folks did their shooting. I had been shooing for awhile so was comfortable and safety oriented. My wife had only fired a handgun during a range visit once before and they gave her plenty of personal time and advice while shooting. Firearms remained put away until range time. Lunch, then back to their home where they have a class setup in their basement. Instruction on the required information was provided with lots of fun through out the afternoon. It's a ton of information the course requires and we left happy with the class though went over all the legal papers and information a few more times at home afterwards. Overall we were both very happy with them.

Good luck and hope the cert shows up soon.

rainman378

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2016, 12:53:39 PM »
I also used First state firearm training for the CCDW class. Jeff was the instructor and was very informative. Everyone received their certificate after completion of the class that day.