Author Topic: New Resident to DE was denied  (Read 4178 times)

mjw211

New Resident to DE was denied
« on: August 31, 2016, 12:48:38 PM »
Hey all I just received a phone call stating that I was denied... the Protonoy (or whatever) office said because I was new to the state and didn't know anyone I could submit with people I did know for longer than a year out of state. Well that was incorrect because the investigator let me know that I must know all 5 applicants for longer than one year and must live in my county. I don't know anyone in this state let alone my county.....

pretty upsetting as I am a responsible legal gun owner who wants to carry and not open carry. but thought that should be brought up.

Ill let you know in a year.

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
Re: New Resident to DE was denied
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 01:34:49 PM »
That sucks!

Can you appeal it?  The law states 5 references from your county.  Does NOT say that know you longer than a year.

There is a guy here who works at the court.  Maybe he could offer some info.
Also, chriscar on here may be able to help.  I think he was in the same boat.
Will email him the address of this thread.
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

mjw211

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 02:20:54 PM »
Wow thanks!

the sad part is I paid everything and went through everything after I was told it wouldn't be a problem.

Im just surprised DE doesn't allow citizens who have lived here less than a year carry if everything checks out? would you rather have some one from the county who has know me for a year or a best friend who has known me my whole life or a co worker who has known me for 5 years?

just really sad!

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 02:43:13 PM »
Email sent.
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 07:22:48 PM »
It's hard to say somebody is a good reference if they have only known you a short time. Now if you had a CCW permit in your previous state, that may help. Remember Delaware is a MAY issue state, not a SHALL issue state. Maybe you need to get a police record from your previous state. Or finger print check.  Can't say any of these will do you any good, as you have just moved here fairly recently. Best to get to know people and give it a year or so. When I applied for my permit I submitted 6 (only needed 5) reference letters, and I had know them from 5 to 20 years
each, most 20. I had lived in Delaware over 20 years. Got permit in 8 weeks.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

29thInfantry

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2016, 07:28:03 AM »
I would definitely appeal.
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

LostM

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2016, 02:50:28 PM »
I hope this isnt a new trend.  I know plenty of people in this state for years, but in the county not so much. Its such an absurd requirement

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2016, 08:58:59 AM »
Can't see it as a trend since the procedure specifiically says 5 from your county. She, unfortunately, got some very bad advice.

MJW.. How long have you lived here? There is no 1 year rule or law. It's just a negligible time the investigators use. If you had 6 people you knew from your county who could say they knew you for 6 months you'd likely pass through. But yes, they must all be from your county.

Additionally.. Did you get a full drivers abstract from your prior state! The investigators will request that if you haven't lived here for at least 2 years. Again, not a law but part of their investigation. The wife and I had this happen a few years ago which held up our applications. A number of others have as well and it seems to have become the norm now.

You could try to appeal it but I don't see it going in your favor though you never know. Perhaps appeal and request if you could submit references in 6 months from the county and a drivers abstract from prior state and not have to resubmit everything again. If I'm talking to someone on the phone I always get a name.. Did you get the employees name who told you the incorrect information? If so that could help. The judge might allow it or at worst say no.

Do you shoot regularly? I'd post up and see if anyone wants to meet up at a range with you.. Getting to know you for references later. The folks here have had a few get togethers though I seem to always be away. Talk to your neighbors if that's an option and get to know them. Invite them over girl a Christmas or New Years party. That type of thing. We moved here a few years ago.. Said "hello" to neighbors whenever we saw them. One house has an annual New Years party we were invited to and wham.. I had a dozen people saying sure they'd sign one for me.

Sorry to hear you got denied but I'm not surprised they denied you. What county?

29thInfantry

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2016, 04:10:33 PM »
I am always willing to meet up with people for a range trip. 
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God