Author Topic: someone tried to tell me  (Read 8383 times)

FreakShow

• Life Member
someone tried to tell me
« on: September 05, 2016, 03:49:43 AM »
I was telling a friend about a holster i just bought, he asked if i was going to open carry. I said yes, once i file it's going to take some time, my gun sitting in a closet is not going to protect me. He told me that once i get a CCP than i can no longer open carry. I said i don't think it works that way. Delaware is an open carry state and the permit allows you to conceal and that's all it does, it doesn't restrict you from not being able to open carry. at least that my interpretation of it. am i wrong about this?
I got the fever and the only prescription, is more cowbell

NRA Member

29thInfantry

• Life Member
Re: someone tried to tell me
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 05:40:09 AM »
you are correct you can still open carry if your heart desires.  But why would you after getting your permit
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

CorBon

• Life Member
  • The Revolution starts in your heart...
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 12:43:44 PM »
you are correct you can still open carry if your heart desires.  But why would you after getting your permit

Don't go over to the OC site and ask that question -- because you'll keep getting answers far into next week!
Very few guns are actually "illegal guns."  A gun misappropriated by a criminal is no more of an "illegal gun" than a stolen car is an "illegal car."

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 12:52:21 PM »
This is why I don't mind the slightly more complex application process in Delaware. Forget which but a few other states don't allow OC if you have a CCW, CCDW, etc permit. Some allow it but it's one or the other and printing or a wind gust at a fuel pump exposing your concealed firearm could kind you in jail, a large fine, an annoying chat to an officer if some twit calls 911. We do have many issues I'd like to see changed however we have a few nice perks they haven't copied from other states. For the most part I'm happy! I'll be happier when parks get opened up!

29thInfantry

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 03:03:33 PM »

Don't go over to the OC site and ask that question -- because you'll keep getting answers far into next week!

I totally agree with that I have had my own issues with some of those snots over there. 
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

FreakShow

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 04:37:53 PM »
see the printing issue shouldn't even come into question. I'm a diabetic and i know tons out there that wear the pump and it's connected to your waist, is it could look like you have a weapon under your shirt. are the cops gonna shoot that person.

NRA Member

CorBon

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2016, 04:46:16 PM »
see the printing issue shouldn't even come into question. I'm a diabetic and i know tons out there that wear the pump and it's connected to your waist, is it could look like you have a weapon under your shirt. are the cops gonna shoot that person.
Based on the current SOP -- yes, and then call for back-up and an ammo drop so that they can shoot again...
Very few guns are actually "illegal guns."  A gun misappropriated by a criminal is no more of an "illegal gun" than a stolen car is an "illegal car."

FreakShow

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2016, 04:51:18 PM »
you are correct you can still open carry if your heart desires.  But why would you after getting your permit

ever go somewhere that you don't want to be bothered, like shopping and every sales person bugs the crap out of you or anything else. how likely is it that you think the average joe is gonna walk up and start bothering the guy brandishing the gun.. unless they themselves are a gun addict,lol.i know it sounds like a power thing but it's not.. sometimes i wear grey shoes, sometimes black, why, because i can
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 04:53:17 PM by FreakShow »

NRA Member

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2016, 04:52:31 PM »
It is an Open Carry site, not surprising....lol, there are some exceptions there, as there are everywhere, but overall.... not for me.

you are correct you can still open carry if your heart desires.  But why would you after getting your permit

I totally agree with that I have had my own issues with some of those snots over there.  

CorBon

• Life Member
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2016, 05:04:45 PM »
Overall, the question is somewhat interesting because, prior to the training requirement being instituted -- there was no mention of the "CCW means forfeiting your OC rights" idea.  Of course, at that time -- there was really no mention of OC, either.  And most of the repeaters of the forfeiting information say that they learned it in their training class, so...

Even before that concern, though, there was still the mention of the "flashing" problem -- which pushed the fear of getting arrested at gas stations.

Given the amount of times that the OCers mention how no one really notices their weapons, I'm sort of thinking that the general public may not notice if you had a sloth hanging onto your backside.  I do tend to believe that the public probably notices those weapons more than they think, but probably don't want to say anything.  Still, there are probably bigger things to be concerned about, including unsolicited advice.  That being said -- it's great to ask questions.

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2016, 10:34:57 PM »
The question of Open Carry is a moot point.  It has always been legal in Delaware.  As recently as 2014 it was unanimously affirmed to be a fundimental right in Delaware by the state Supreme Court. 

Concealed carry was viewed as underhanded and nefarious and was banned in Delaware in 1883.  Honest people would carry weapons in the open. 

With urbanization, it was recognized that citizens of " good character " might have need to conceal carry might do so under license.   This was the birth of the current system in 1911. 
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

8thFA

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2016, 11:03:18 PM »
The question of Open Carry is a moot point.  It has always been legal in Delaware.  As recently as 2014 it was unanimously affirmed to be a fundimental right in Delaware by the state Supreme Court. 

Concealed carry was viewed as underhanded and nefarious and was banned in Delaware in 1883.  Honest people would carry weapons in the open. 

With urbanization, it was recognized that citizens of " good character " might have need to conceal carry might do so under license.   This was the birth of the current system in 1911. 

Cool info, thanks Clarence!
US Army veteran
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
NCC

FreakShow

• Life Member
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2016, 11:22:35 PM »
i was about to say that i know i ask a lot of questions on the forum and thought maybe i was being a bit of a pain, but i will retract that thought from my head. I'm a talker

NRA Member

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2016, 11:51:08 PM »
...I'm sort of thinking that the general public may not notice if you had a sloth hanging onto your backside...
next time someone remarks about my backside, I'll just tell them it is a sloth!
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

FreakShow

• Life Member
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2016, 11:55:31 PM »
i get my wife to shave my back so i don't look like a sloth

NRA Member