Author Topic: Herters ammo  (Read 11737 times)

8thFA

Herters ammo
« on: September 22, 2016, 01:56:30 AM »
I was in Cabelas today and asked one of the salesguys what they had in cheaper 9mm target ammo other than the usual winchester target ammo I usually get.  He suggested Herters so I bought some.  Seemed a bit dirtier than the winchester ammo but it worked fine.  Anyone ever heard of or used this before?  Anyone had any issues with it?
US Army veteran
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
NCC

lynch

• Life Member
Re: Herters ammo
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 09:00:26 AM »
Cabela's always seems to have a ton of that brand but have not tried it.
DE ccdw
PA  LTCF
Utah CFP
NRA member

NormH3

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 12:51:47 PM »
I was considering buying some of their shot shells.

AudiQ

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 01:13:20 PM »
I've shot 500 rounds of 9mm 115 gr in my PPQ and PPS with no issues. Herters  is loaded by Sellier and Bellot. The boxes are smaller in size but still contain 50 rounds. Seems to be just fine for target ammo. I prefer it over WWB.

Endeavor to persevere

8thFA

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2016, 12:12:40 AM »
I've shot 500 rounds of 9mm 115 gr in my PPQ and PPS with no issues. Herters  is loaded by Sellier and Bellot. The boxes are smaller in size but still contain 50 rounds. Seems to be just fine for target ammo. I prefer it over WWB.

Did you notice it being a bit snappier than the winchester?  I thought it was, but maybe it's just me.
US Army veteran
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
NCC

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2016, 01:44:44 AM »
I've fired 1000's of rounds of 9mm Sellier and Bellot ammo and it is by far my favorite range ammo. Its clean burning and is loaded hotter then any other range ammo. Its clean burning leaving little mess in the gun afterwards. Their brass is easy to reload and the small compact boxes are fantastic. I haven't purchased any of the Herter's name but if its the same as the Sellier and Bellot I was buying I'd have no issues in bulk ordering it by the 1000. EDIT.. and the stuff has been 100% perfectly reliable! Never once in 1000s of rounds have I had any issues with the ammo.

Yes, it will be more snappy then Win and most other brands. This is a good thing since its closer to the hotter defensive rounds we carry. I often mix a few mags of the Sellier and Bellot 9mm and the Speer Gold Dots.

btw.. if anyone has shoots Sellier and Bellot or this Herter and doesn't reuse the packaging please let me know as I'll take the boxes for my reloads.  ;D

AudiQ

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2016, 01:59:28 PM »
I never shot WWB after I started shooting Herters. Can't say if it's snappier but can say I was pleased with Herters. I did notice Herters to be hotter than Freedom which I mostly shoot now , until I get started reloading. Lee classic was delivered yesterday.
Endeavor to persevere

8thFA

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2016, 12:43:46 AM »
I've fired 1000's of rounds of 9mm Sellier and Bellot ammo and it is by far my favorite range ammo. Its clean burning and is loaded hotter then any other range ammo. Its clean burning leaving little mess in the gun afterwards. Their brass is easy to reload and the small compact boxes are fantastic. I haven't purchased any of the Herter's name but if its the same as the Sellier and Bellot I was buying I'd have no issues in bulk ordering it by the 1000. EDIT.. and the stuff has been 100% perfectly reliable! Never once in 1000s of rounds have I had any issues with the ammo.

Yes, it will be more snappy then Win and most other brands. This is a good thing since its closer to the hotter defensive rounds we carry. I often mix a few mags of the Sellier and Bellot 9mm and the Speer Gold Dots.

btw.. if anyone has shoots Sellier and Bellot or this Herter and doesn't reuse the packaging please let me know as I'll take the boxes for my reloads.  ;D

That's good to know that they are closer to the defensive rounds I carry, and at the selling price it's well worth it.  I will try and remember to keep my packages if you want them. 
US Army veteran
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
NCC

PPScarry

• Life Member
  • del ccdw license holder - NRA member
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2016, 02:24:28 PM »
It may have been rare but I bought Herters 9mm on sale from Cabelas a while back and experienced hang fire. I buy my ammo now from Chris at Federal Firearms and it's close to the same price or better. He knows if there is a problem with his ammo because he is closer to his customers unlike a box store.

Still have the Herters and someday I will dispose of properly. You can't just throw it in the garbage. I don't want to harm my pistols or void the warranty. To me it's worth buying better ammo. Hang fire is not a fun experience, thought it was me but after 3 rounds I was done. Still have 147 rounds.

Seems the sale ammo may be old at Cabelas. Just my 2 cents.
"There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. "
Noah Webster
 American Lexicographer

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2016, 06:55:52 PM »
It may have been rare but I bought Herters 9mm on sale from Cabelas a while back and experienced hang fire. I buy my ammo now from Chris at Federal Firearms and it's close to the same price or better. He knows if there is a problem with his ammo because he is closer to his customers unlike a box store.

Still have the Herters and someday I will dispose of properly. You can't just throw it in the garbage. I don't want to harm my pistols or void the warranty. To me it's worth buying better ammo. Hang fire is not a fun experience, thought it was me but after 3 rounds I was done. Still have 147 rounds.

Seems the sale ammo may be old at Cabelas. Just my 2 cents.

This is where it's becomes important to shoot a variety of ammo through a firearm to test it's function with each type. It's important to note that every firearm is different and the slightest difference can cause an ammo that's 100% perfect in 10,000 other identical firearms, to not function in yours. Doesn't necessarily mean the firearm or the ammo is bad but they just don't sync with each other.

Have you shot it in another firearm? If you want to get rid of it let me know and I'll take it off your hands and give it a go through some of mine. Let me know.

Btw.. new production ammo doesn't go bad due to aging a few years.  ;D

FreakShow

• Life Member
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2017, 12:56:57 AM »
just bought 5 boxes of the 410 defensive, 25 rounds per box at just a little over 11 bucks a box. can't beat it. gonna buy more when i get paid again.
I got the fever and the only prescription, is more cowbell

NRA Member