Author Topic: looking for another 9mm  (Read 19123 times)

PPScarry

• Life Member
  • del ccdw license holder - NRA member
Re: looking for another 9mm
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2016, 02:26:11 PM »
I love my Walther PPS. 900 bucks will get you 2. ;)
"There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. "
Noah Webster
 American Lexicographer

RetCapt1994

• Life Member
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2016, 03:05:27 PM »
My Glocks,G17,G19 (2-blk&OD) G26 and G43 all work very well for me.
Glock Armorer - Tavor Level One Armorer
It is all about bullet placement                          Carry permits, de ccw, and leosa/hr218  DELAWARE SUCKS----THE WORST STATE

FreakShow

• Life Member
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2016, 10:17:51 PM »
Had a Springfield competition 9mm in my hand yesterday. that felt nice.. but still looking
I got the fever and the only prescription, is more cowbell

NRA Member

seniorgeek

• Life Member
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2016, 12:10:25 PM »
Had a Springfield competition 9mm in my hand yesterday. that felt nice.. but still looking

I have the Springfield Range Officer 9mm and it is one of my favorite shooters.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NRA Member
Combat Veteran
Southeastern Sussex County

FreakShow

• Life Member
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2016, 01:14:28 PM »
looked at one of those too. like it but i think i want more ammo. i like the idea of a safety, and the love the safety in the dove tail on the XDM, plus the 19 rounds is awesome. there supposed to be a gun show coming up in new castle on the 3rd weekend of October. gonna put as many guns in my hands as i can, then i'll make a decision of what i want before heading to Federal Firearm.

NRA Member

NormH3

• Life Member
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2016, 01:30:44 PM »
looked at one of those too. like it but i think i want more ammo. i like the idea of a safety, and the love the safety in the dove tail on the XDM, plus the 19 rounds is awesome. there supposed to be a gun show coming up in new castle on the 3rd weekend of October. gonna put as many guns in my hands as i can, then i'll make a decision of what i want before heading to Federal Firearm.

Although a 19 round mag is nice for the range, you probably won't need it for self defense when out and about. Not many of us will encounter 5 bad guys wielding AK-47s and screaming "allahu akbar". There is nothing wrong with a single stack hand gun. You are more prepared if you carry a second mag in case of failure.

FreakShow

• Life Member
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2016, 01:37:42 PM »
oh yeah, i'll have more than one mag on me. been watching the news a lot. people are being shot at the malls. did you see that kid walk in with what looked like a shot gun., times are crazy right now.. my wife and i jest left a mall then saw that on the news. the world has really gone to crap

NRA Member

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2016, 01:43:29 PM »
Try a Ruger SR9. It has adjustable grip and a safety that can be used righ or left handed. Comes with (2) 17+1 magazines and a speed loader. They also make a SR9C smaller model, but only holds half the ammo, and seems to have more kick than the big brother SR9.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

FreakShow

• Life Member
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2016, 01:49:53 PM »
had that in my hand also, also nice. it's gonna be a tough choice or just buy more, lol my wife has 3 hand guns and a shotgun, and she wants the 380 with crimson trace. no reason why i can't have a few more

NRA Member

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2016, 05:58:03 PM »
Checkout the Walther P99 or it's smaller P99c AS. I love my PPQs and PPSs but lately have been thinking of the P99c AS as I'm now mingling in a new situation where I want a slightly smaller profile but larger then the PPS.

Yeah I tout Walther's  ;D They are an amazing company who build a fantastic firearm. The PPS for its size is one of the most accurate handguns out there. The PPQ has the best stock trigger on the market. The P99 handguns have a pretty neat trigger system that allows for carrying in a number of trigger readiness conditions.

FreakShow

• Life Member
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2016, 11:59:42 PM »
upon recommendation, i will now check them out, thanks.

NRA Member

CorBon

• Life Member
  • The Revolution starts in your heart...
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2016, 04:37:32 AM »

Although a 19 round mag is nice for the range, you probably won't need it for self defense when out and about. Not many of us will encounter 5 bad guys wielding AK-47s and screaming "allahu akbar".
There's nothing wrong with having more ammo, as there is no way to tell what one may encounter out there on the streets.  It's simply better to have rounds left over, than it is to be -- dead.
Very few guns are actually "illegal guns."  A gun misappropriated by a criminal is no more of an "illegal gun" than a stolen car is an "illegal car."

FreakShow

• Life Member
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2016, 12:37:20 PM »
watched a bunch of video's before watching the debate. leaning more towards the XDM 5.25 9mm. I like the sights, the 19 round mags and the ambi mag release because i'm a lefty. although it's 29 ounces without a mag, i don't think i'm gonna find a lighter gun unless i go with a compact version.

NRA Member

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2016, 01:31:08 PM »
Is this for the range and/or home defense or for carry? Man you don't need anything that size for carry! ;D I mean its not impossible, I've carried a full sized 5" 1911 a few times but look at 4" length barrels instead. Lighter, shorter, being shorter means easier and less likely to have draw issues, easier and more comfortable to carry iwb, etc. It'll be just as accurate and still provide that 15-17 round capacity.

We were out last night up in Christiana Mall so stopped into Cabela's. They had a good selection of Walther's including the P99, P99c (AS model), PPQ, PPS and CCP (great women's gun with an easily rackable top slide). Priced more then Chris of course but everything in stock to manhandle before ordering through Chris.  ;D

Being a Lefty I'd highly suggest getting your hands on a P99 AS (or the Classic M1 PPQ) and feel their grip and use its ambidextrous paddle mag release built into the lower trigger guard. The PPQ additionally, has a fully ambidextrous slide release on both sides that was also designed to properly chamber a round from the mag when slide is open. Many manufacturers don't recommend this since the slide isn't back all the way and a possible hangup is a risk.. not so with Walther. The PPQ has no slide safety but a trigger (Glock style if you will) safety and 2 internal safeties. I carry this and it's banged around all the time and as long as its holstered its not going to just go off. The P99 AS has a flush mounted decocker in the slide and an anti-stress trigger so you can chamber a round, hit the decocker yet still have a safe heavier 9lb trigger pull followed by a lighter 4.5lb pull. I prefer the PPQ and its trigger myself but also looking at the smaller P99C AS for a few situations.

The PPQ is 100% ambidextrous and I've practiced using it with each hand to draw, rack, clear, reload and fire. Thankful now also since I've injured my right arm and looking at a long healing period. The P99 has the ambidextrous paddle but not the slide release though not a deal stopper at all.

The PPQ comes in 2 versions the Classic with the paddle or the M2 with the button and both come in 9 or 40. The Classic paddle PPQ is harder to come by but still available.

If you were closer I'd offer to meet up so you can check out mine but I think you're fairly far south.

FreakShow

• Life Member
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2016, 01:49:28 PM »
Lol, i've though about trying to carry my 1911, but it is a heavy gun, and i will most likely carry my SD9VE beings i can get 15 rounds in the clip. hell, i'm still on the fence of how i'm going to carry other than the OWB holster i bought. it's just i was at shooters choice over the weekend shooting my guns and i asked about a few and i put the xdm in my hand and it felt nice. my biggest problem is that i'm new to all this and i'm not thinking far enough ahead to know what to buy. i liked the xdm although it was long and a little front heavy, but never thought about how it would be to carry. i'm like a kid in a candy store, except the candy explodes. but what i do appreciate is all the advice.i do get it like you say, i need to put these other guns in my hands before i order one from Chris. Planing on going to the gun show so i can do that. So if anyone see's me, please come up and say hi, i'll be wearing a black tee shirt that says Freak Show on the front of it

edit forgot to mention that i am looking for just an alternative to the SD for something else to carry., i like the short barrel of the SD, just want something a little longer. i guess my thinking is why have two of the same.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 02:00:17 PM by FreakShow »

NRA Member