Author Topic: Please tell me of your experience  (Read 13785 times)

NormH3

• Life Member
Please tell me of your experience
« on: September 25, 2016, 04:11:54 PM »
I'm looking for those that are willing to tell me how long it took to get your CCW permit. My state representative is Bryan Townsend and when I asked him why did it take so long for an approval, he asked me to give him details. Yes , he is a Democrat but at one time he mentioned that he planned to purchase a firearm for purposes of protection. His father is a former Newark PD officer. I believe that it shouldn't take 6 months to get an approval/denial once you submit an application. Thank you for your input.

joep19934

• Life Member
Re: Please tell me of your experience
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 04:31:03 PM »
I got my CCDW in like 18-19 Business Days - if you count Saturday and Sundays = 26 days. ;D
My renewal took almost 2 months but I was late getting it in so I can't complain.  :o
I was glad I didn't have to go through the process all over again !  ::)
18 Day Turnaround
Kent County
NRA Member
DE/PA CCDW permits
BRIDGEVILLE RIFLE & PISTOL CLUB Member
Delaware State Sportsman's Association

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 05:37:06 PM »
NCC is a solid 5-6 months wait typically.. ours took 8-9 months 3.5 years ago. It's politically motivated by holding back resources and not wanting to streamline it. It's also a well known tactic in deterring people from applying in the first place. In fact, it should take no more then a 30 minutes to drop off the application and documents, have the background check done, print out a card and leave with it in your wallet. Mailing it all in you should receive your permit back within the week.

Again.. It's political and unfortunately not likely to change.

NormH3

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 05:45:15 PM »
NCC is a solid 5-6 months wait typically.. ours took 8-9 months 3.5 years ago. It's politically motivated by holding back resources and not wanting to streamline it. It's also a well known tactic in deterring people from applying in the first place. In fact, it should take no more then a 30 minutes to drop off the application and documents, have the background check done, print out a card and leave with it in your wallet. Mailing it all in you should receive your permit back within the week.

Again.. It's political and unfortunately not likely to change.
I agree and it shouldn't be politically motivated. Why does it take a person from Kent or Sussex County to receive theirs in a matter of weeks when NCC takes 6 months? Something is not right about that. Even if you are declined, it shouldn't take more than 60 days with today's technology. This is an honest endeavor on my behalf. Delaware is considered a May Issue state, but from what I can tell it's pretty much Shall Issue. The wait time doesn't make sense.

NormH3

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2016, 05:50:20 PM »
I got my CCDW in like 18-19 Business Days - if you count Saturday and Sundays = 26 days. ;D
My renewal took almost 2 months but I was late getting it in so I can't complain.  :o
I was glad I didn't have to go through the process all over again !  ::)
Thank you for responding. 26 days seems reasonable. It doesn't explain why it takes over 6 months in NCC. Hopefully others will chime in.

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2016, 05:56:40 PM »
Again.. It's politically motivated. Additionally each county processes their own applications partially with the exception of the background checks which are all done in NCC by a limited staff who process background checks as a low priority to other tasks. Since is should go without saying that NCC is much busier AND much more politically left then Kent and Sussex counties, the extra time wait is understandable.

Even 26 days isn't reasonable.. it's simply faster with the same wait times. It could be done in 30 minutes.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 05:58:25 PM by Adrenolin »

NormH3

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2016, 06:00:13 PM »
Again.. It's politically motivated. Additionally each county processes their own applications partially with the exception of the background checks which are all done in NCC by a limited staff who process background checks as a low priority to other tasks. Since is should go without saying that NCC is much busier AND much more politically left then Kent and Sussex counties, the extra time wait is understandable.

When I buy a firearm at an FFL, it takes 5 minutes for a background check. The CCW is state issued, not County issued. It should take the same no matter where you live.

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2016, 06:18:18 PM »
You're not understanding the process. While it's is a state issued permit each county processes the application. Hence why you submit the application is the county you reside in. If the paperwork is all in order without mistakes or missing documents then your file is sent to NCC for the background check. Both southern counties are less busy then NCC and both are more politically friendly to firearms then NCC.. So your application is processed quicker and sent to NCC then the applications actually in NCC would be. Once in NCC the background checks are batch processed when time and resources permit so the time frame here is equal for all counties. Then, if all is ok and the check passed, your file is returned for processing by the office and judge of your own county. I'm 99% sure this is correct and how it was explained to me. Now again, since both southern counties are not so politically left, not as busy and possibly have a dedicated person processing the applications and forwarding them to the judge for final say and signature things move along faster then in NCC.

Think of it like this.. Sussex and Kent want you to have a permit and NCC doesn't. Whose gonna do it faster? Again.. Politically motivated and lacking funds can and will hold up the process and that's how politics and agendas work. It has nothing to do with how things should be.

NormH3

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2016, 06:36:32 PM »
You're not understanding the process. While it's is a state issued permit each county processes the application. Hence why you submit the application is the county you reside in. If the paperwork is all in order without mistakes or missing documents then your file is sent to NCC for the background check. Both southern counties are less busy then NCC and both are more politically friendly to firearms then NCC.. So your application is processed quicker and sent to NCC then the applications actually in NCC would be. Once in NCC the background checks are batch processed when time and resources permit so the time frame here is equal for all counties. Then, if all is ok and the check passed, your file is returned for processing by the office and judge of your own county. I'm 99% sure this is correct and how it was explained to me. Now again, since both southern counties are not so politically left, not as busy and possibly have a dedicated person processing the applications and forwarding them to the judge for final say and signature things move along faster then in NCC.

Think of it like this.. Sussex and Kent want you to have a permit and NCC doesn't. Whose gonna do it faster? Again.. Politically motivated and lacking funds can and will hold up the process and that's how politics and agendas work. It has nothing to do with how things should be. Understanding the process and agreeing with it are two different things.

I appreciate your comments, but it doesn't explain to me why it takes 6 times longer to receive a permit in NCC. I've decided not to sit on my butt about this and start writing my Reps. I would hope that those that already have their permits would do the same. Twenty some people have viewed this but only two have responded. I'm really looking for some round numbers so I can make my point to reps. Again....the permit is provided by the State and not by the individual county. Politics shouldn't play a part. Not sure why you don't understand the logic in that.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 06:38:08 PM by NormH3 »

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2016, 07:25:40 PM »
In NCC:
New app, 19 weeks
1st renewal, 18 weeks
2nd renewaal, 8 weeks
New Castle County

del elec

• Life Member
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2016, 10:38:09 PM »
In NCC : I submitted my renewal and my wife's initial application together on February 10. I received mine in 48 days, my wife in 83 days.
[]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]
------)_'_\ * (
"----------\ * \
"-----------\_*_\
Life NRA
Shooters Choice
Bridgeville Rifle & Pistol Club
DE CCDW
PA LTCF
MD Wear & Carry

Grettski

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2016, 11:11:34 PM »
Kent county here. My wife and I both applied April 15th. We were told to expect to hear back within 60 days. It's now been over 160 and we're still waiting. We did attempt to contact them a while back just to see if there was a problem. No response.
USAF Retired

Sinker

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2016, 11:17:20 PM »
Received mine just a few weeks ago in NCCo.  Total wait was 4 months.

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2016, 05:10:35 AM »
I appreciate your comments, but it doesn't explain to me why it takes 6 times longer to receive a permit in NCC. I've decided not to sit on my butt about this and start writing my Reps. I would hope that those that already have their permits would do the same. Twenty some people have viewed this but only two have responded. I'm really looking for some round numbers so I can make my point to reps. Again....the permit is provided by the State and not by the individual county. Politics shouldn't play a part. Not sure why you don't understand the logic in that.

Its politics.. there is no logic in politics. Also, Yes it is a State Issued permit but processed and granted by county employees. For example.. the judge who granted and signed my permit is The Honorable Richard R. Cooch whose is a Resident Judge for New Castle County. This is a country position. Kent and Sussex counties both have their own resident judges (again, county positions) who have the final say in granting permits for their respectable counties. This isn't that difficult to understand.

The only thing that takes place in NCC for the other 2 counties is the background checks. Everything else is done in their own county court house.

I agree that politics shouldn't play a part in it but its a government issued permit to carry a firearm in a pretty far left state with a VERY left NCC and more right southern counties. If you don't think politics plays into this in NCC that's just being naive. I don't mean that in a hurtful way but its the truth. If politics in NCC had their way we'd be a no-issue state! Thankfully the DE constitution protects our ability to CC and own firearms however it doesn't stop the flow of money and that can easily slow things down legally.

Contact the Office of the Governor, Jack Markell directly and ask his staff. That IS the highest level of state and the best place for your answer. I've contacted his office a few times and have always had a reply within a day or so and followup emails were quick. Two times it was firearm related.

You'll get a few replies here but were just a fairly small number of permit holders in the state and not many active users. Go down through the "General CCW Discussion" and "New CCW Permit Holders" sub-forums and you'll find a number of people have posted their wait times though you'll have to go through that yourself instead of people simply posting here for you.

Richie

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2016, 10:51:55 AM »
I'm in Sussex, took me 17 weeks last year.