Author Topic: New member from MD  (Read 7752 times)

newguy

New member from MD
« on: October 15, 2016, 11:14:09 AM »
Hi, I'm a new member thinking of becoming a new resident of DE.  As many of us here in MD are, I'm sick of the taxes, politics, real estate prices, and gun laws here in MD.  I'm thinking about moving to the Wilmington, Dover or Newark areas.

If I make the move I will be commuting to my job in Glen Burnie.  I am also considering PA and WV and with any of the three I will be looking at a 1 to 1 1/2 hour commute each way. 

I have a number of questions...

I know DE is may issue and not shall issue but it has a good reputation for not being overly arbitrary.  I have no criminal record.  I do have ADHD which if you look at the list of symptoms one of the big ones is poor impulse control.  I do not personally have that problem, other than with gun purchases, but it could be a bad trait that leads some people to legal and violence issues.  I also was treated for a couple months for depression several years ago but then the therapist did not recommend any more treatment as it wasn't needed.  I did not and do not believe I had depression, I went to make my boss happy (she thought I seemed off, which I was because my blood sugar was in the mid to high 300s), and eventually the therapist agreed with me.  Would these issues likely be a problem since DE is not shall issue?  If so, that will make PA or WV a bit more likely even though DE would be a better location for me as I'd prefer to be near both Baltimore and Philadelphia.

I see DE also requires 5 local references.  I will be moving to DE with no prior background in the state.  I currently know no one there.  I will be working in MD so I will not be able to use co-workers.  I figure it may take several months to a year to get to know five people well enough that it wouldn't be awkward to ask them to be references for a carry permit.  How long would I need to live in the state and how long would I need to know my references before I have a reasonable chance to be approved?  I see nothing written about minimum time limits, but being may issue and not shall issue, I don't want to be rejected after shelling out the money because a judge doesn't think I waited long enough.

29thInfantry

• Life Member
Re: New member from MD
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2016, 03:40:07 PM »
West VA is permitless Concealed Carry.

NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2016, 06:57:09 PM »
I grew up in MD. left at 18, and have lived in DE. for about 50 years. If I had a choice, I'd pick W.VA. of the 2 you mentioned. If you decide on DE. Make it Kent or Sussex County. They are more conservative. Most(but not all) of the New Castle County people are screaming Liberals, taxes are high, and traffic is like Baltimore.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

DepotDad

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2016, 09:10:26 PM »
I'm a God fearin, gun totin, Rush Limbaugh listenin Conservative from Newark. There's a couple of us up here,  but you're better off in WV.
DE. CCDW
PA. LTCF
NRA Member

8thFA

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2016, 01:01:33 AM »
I'm a God fearin, gun totin, Rush Limbaugh listenin Conservative from Newark. There's a couple of us up here,  but you're better off in WV.
God fearing, patriotic, Christian conservative in Newark, so yes there are a few of us here, but if I had it to do all over I'd head somewhere else, but the Missus won't have any of that.  :)  I work in the peoples republic of MD, it drives me nuts that I can't carry there, especially in beautiful Elkton.  So I understand you wanting to get out...
US Army veteran
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
NCC

greymas

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2016, 01:06:57 AM »
I'm 4th generation in the Wilmington area. It doesn't seem like the same state when I grew up. It seems more and more progressive transplants move here for the low taxes and affordable housing. I wish more people like you would move here, but you may see more anti 2a policies pushed through down the road. If you do decide to move here, there are plenty of ways to meet like minded people for references. But in the end it is a may issue state, and if stats are to be believed, we have among the lowest gun ownership rate.

I work in Baltimore and have a 1.5 hour commute. You'll learn to love podcasts and audio books. It's worth the drive if you like where you live and work. Good luck. If I can answer any questions about Delaware, ask.

newguy

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2016, 01:20:01 AM »
I checked out a few of the communities today that I was thinking about.  I didn't like the parts of Newark that are in my price range and of course, the neighborhoods I liked were a little too much money.  I loved Dover, and a couple small towns between Dover and Newark, but the drive to and from work would kill me.  I'd really love to be all the way south and move to the Delaware beaches, but I would definitely need a new job if I did that.  Out of the areas I checked out today, I actually liked York and Red Lion, PA the best, but I haven't checked out Wilmington yet.  I suspect the drive there may be just a little too far and if I move there I'll also need to find a new job, in which case I may as well move to the beach.  

I'm a Conservative, but not a Christian, I'm a conservative Jew (political) and a Conservative Jew (denomination), and the lack of synagogues in the corner of WV I am considering (Charles Town/Harpers Ferry) will probably keep me from choosing WV.  Though, the drive to the synagogues in Leesburg, Frederick, and Hagerstown (each has at least one) wouldn't be too bad, and my cousin takes his family to the one in Leesburg (he lives in Ashburn).  So, I do still plan to check the area out.

As for the politics, anything will be an improvement over Central MD, probably even NJ would be better.  The crowding, I'm used to that so I don't know that it would bother me, though with such a long commute the traffic will matter quite a bit.  At least I do listen to a lot of books on tape (CD), it is about the only way I have time to "read" for recreation anymore.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 01:32:37 AM by newguy »

29thInfantry

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2016, 01:27:17 AM »
God fearing, patriotic, Christian conservative in Newark, so yes there are a few of us here, but if I had it to do all over I'd head somewhere else, but the Missus won't have any of that.  :)  I work in the peoples republic of MD, it drives me nuts that I can't carry there, especially in beautiful Elkton.  So I understand you wanting to get out...

Started working for a company in Elkton it would not matter if they were in DE or any other state that allows carry.  You cannot even have it locked up in your car while you are working they have a clause where they can search your car at any time they feel something suspicious has happened.  Their NO firearms policy includes the parking lot and in your car. They will fire you if there is a firearm in the car locked up in a safe.   
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

29thInfantry

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2016, 01:30:03 AM »
Middletown DE is pretty nice. 
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

newguy

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2016, 01:53:06 AM »
Middletown DE is pretty nice. 

I just drove by today, I'll have to take a look.

greymas

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2016, 01:57:17 AM »
North Wilmington has a fairly large Jewish community and there are several small gun clubs not to far away. Not sure what the traffic would be like heading to Glen Burnie. I don't head down that far. I think anything over 1.5 hours will all but make me stir crazy but each of us has different tolerances spending time on the road. I ended up getting an amateur radio license to have some folks to talk to with so I can stay awake. It's saved my life a few times after a rough week. Some of the narrators on those audio books can put me to sleep. Fuel cost is another thing to consider. My last few cars had to be fuel efficient. I've decided when I no longer make the run to Baltimore I'm getting something much larger to make up for the years of squeezing into my clown car  :D

newguy

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2016, 09:20:31 AM »
North Wilmington has a fairly large Jewish community and there are several small gun clubs not to far away. Not sure what the traffic would be like heading to Glen Burnie. I don't head down that far. I think anything over 1.5 hours will all but make me stir crazy but each of us has different tolerances spending time on the road. I ended up getting an amateur radio license to have some folks to talk to with so I can stay awake. It's saved my life a few times after a rough week. Some of the narrators on those audio books can put me to sleep. Fuel cost is another thing to consider. My last few cars had to be fuel efficient. I've decided when I no longer make the run to Baltimore I'm getting something much larger to make up for the years of squeezing into my clown car  :D

An hour and a half is about my max as well.  That is what makes me a little nervous about Wilmington and Middletown.  You can set Google Maps to give you a time estimate based on typical traffic for a particular time of day, and they estimate the "typical" commute to be close to my limit (1:15-1:30 for Wilmington and 1:15-1:40) and we all know that there are days that are far from typical so there will definitely be 2hr+ days (I've done that before, it isn't fun).

The amateur radio is an interesting idea.  I hadn't thought about that.  Though, I have thought about a good old fashioned CB and I tend to use my commute time to call my parents and anyone else I need to talk to (hands free of course).

My current car is a crossover SUV.  For an SUV it gets great gas mileage: on highway drives it gets 26-30mpg, and typical day to day mixed driving I see between 22 and 24.5 MPG.  If I move to York and have an hour to 1:15 drive each way I'll probably keep my car.  If I move further away, such as to Wilmington, I'm torn.  The larger car is very comfortable and that is important with a lot of time behind the wheel.  I spent about 6 or 7 hours in the car yesterday scouting out the York area, the Newark area and the Dover area, and I was pretty comfortable.  In a smaller car I would have needed to stop a few times to stretch, and in my SUV my bathroom and food stops were good enough.  However, I am considering buying a used small car (Civic, Corolla, maybe even a Prius) for better mileage with the number of miles I'd be driving.  A midsized hybrid may be a good compromise of comfort and mileage, but they tend to be a bit expensive as a second car.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 09:35:52 AM by newguy »

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2016, 11:46:36 AM »
Commuting from Middletown to Glen Burnie might not be so bad if you took US 301, especially after they finish the new high-speed connector.

I used to commute from Christiana to Catonsville via I-95. Glad that's over. It took from 60 to 90+ minutes, depending on what time I left.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

greymas

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2016, 12:02:26 AM »
Forget the CB and go ham. CB was my original thought until someone explained how a ham radio is much better. The test is easy enough. Maybe we'll chat on the air someday.

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2016, 12:41:05 AM »
Shalom, @newguy.  Wilmington to GB via Balto would be a schlep during rush hour  (if you are Sephardi, please accept my apologies). Middletown down US 301 and up Rt 2/10 would be easier.  301 is a peaceful ride and the Chesapaeke bridge is toll one-way. 
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.