Author Topic: Just got permit.... looking for suggestions.  (Read 4707 times)

Big Papi 2080

Just got permit.... looking for suggestions.
« on: October 25, 2016, 01:39:56 AM »
Hey everyone... I just got me ccw permit and am looking for suggestions on what kind of weapon a first time buyer should be considering.

PPScarry

• Life Member
  • del ccdw license holder - NRA member
Re: Just got permit.... looking for suggestions.
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 12:41:54 PM »
I was in the same boat and ended up going to see Chris at Federal Firearms. He was informative and I walked out with my first handgun. I wanted a single stack pistol for easy concealment and ended up with the Walther PPS. This is not to say you should get a Walther as there are many fine handguns available. Some folks like a safety on their weapons and the Walther PPS doesn't have one. That didn't bother me so I purchased it and it is a great accurate pistol. There are personal preferences everyone has and Chris is a big help once he knows yours. That is my suggestion. Good luck and congrats.
"There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. "
Noah Webster
 American Lexicographer

Federal Firearm

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 12:46:43 PM »
Congratulations....I would suggest a single stack of some type..I would set a budget and work within those numbers....as stated walther,smith and wesson,glock,sig,springfield are just of the few that come to mind...I am sure many more out there....I'll gladly help you choosing what best fits your needs..

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 03:34:42 PM »
There is a lot to decide here and you will probably get as many different responses as there are members of this forum. Do some research, pistol of revolver, size, caliber, etc., and go to a gun store (such as Chris at Federal Firearms) and put a few in your hands. Some ranges will rent firearms so you can get a feel for them before you buy. Make a smart choice based on functions you want and are comfortable with. Good luck.

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 07:06:47 PM »
What county are you living in? What did you use to do your 100 round min. range fire? Was it yours or rented? To be of any help, we need more info.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 09:56:50 PM »
Hi Big Popi 2080,
If you are an inexperienced shooter (assumption..), I would suggest some additional training before carrying. Most of us who persued a license have been shooting for years, if not decades. "Radnor", on this forum, offers a plethora of course, as do a few others.
Cheers!
New Castle County

8thFA

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 11:25:33 PM »
I took a drawstroke and fire class from 302 tactical, highly recommend doing something like that.  I carry a Springfield XDM 3.8 compact, and it conceals just fine, but as others have said, go to a good gun shop like federal firearms, talk to Chris and put some guns in your hand before buying.
US Army veteran
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
NCC

LostM

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2016, 06:36:34 PM »
I would highly suggest you:

Find some friends that are experienced with handguns, ask them to take you to a range and explain the weapon and 5 safety rules. Then have them let you try their handgun, if they feel comfortable doing so.

and/OR

Find any of the local ranges that rent guns, call them, and tell them you are a new to firearms, just completed the CCDW course and looking for your first gun, what they have to rent, as well as specific courses for you to take.. and then take them.

There are millions of pieces of hardware to choose from, its time to get your software up to speed