Author Topic: homeowner shoots at burglar in Laurel  (Read 4571 times)

8thFA

US Army veteran
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
NCC

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
Re: homeowner shoots at burglar in Laurel
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2016, 12:52:04 AM »
I hope this comes out OK for the homeowner: that does not sound like a "good" shooting.
The homeowner used deadly force (shooting at any part of an occupied car -- headlights, tires, trunk lid -- is deadly force in DE) against a fleeing criminal who posed no immediate threat to him.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

lynch

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2016, 09:37:24 AM »
I hope this comes out OK for the homeowner: that does not sound like a "good" shooting.
The homeowner used deadly force (shooting at any part of an occupied car -- headlights, tires, trunk lid -- is deadly force in DE) against a fleeing criminal who posed no immediate threat to him.

My thoughts exactly.
Perpetrator was shot at while fleeing the scene.
DE ccdw
PA  LTCF
Utah CFP
NRA member

BobW

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2016, 11:06:57 AM »
This happened right across the road from the entrance to my development. The news said that there would be no charges against the victim. He did chase the thief outside and shoot at the vehicle that was leaving. Not a good thing, in my opinion....

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2016, 03:34:19 PM »
I  read that the homeowner will not be charged, as of now. It is not a good call to shoot at an attacker when they are fleeing, as they are of no threat to you then. And they weren't even in the house when the shooting took place, I believe. It sounds to me that at that point it was more revenge than self protection.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

RetCapt1994

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2016, 03:38:28 PM »
I certainly hope the homeowner makes out with this. We all agree this was not a "good" shooting. Shooting a fleeing perp is a no no but some times emotions get the best of you.
Glock Armorer - Tavor Level One Armorer
It is all about bullet placement                          Carry permits, de ccw, and leosa/hr218  DELAWARE SUCKS----THE WORST STATE

groundgrid

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2016, 08:52:08 PM »
According to the article:

"Once he entered the car, the victim fired one birdshot round at the car, shattering the passenger’s side window."

Was the suspect fleeing or was he about to retrieve his own weapon or even use the car as a weapon?
Until the car is moving away from you, how can you be sure that the perpetrator is actually fleeing?

IMO, had the victim been charged,  way too much reasonable doubt. Smart move by the police to leave him alone.
Here’s the real issue: when your religion is government, and government is god, you cannot tolerate any other God before it
(The reason why Liberal/Progressives have waged a war on Christianity)

NormH3

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2016, 04:04:41 PM »
According to the article:

"Once he entered the car, the victim fired one birdshot round at the car, shattering the passenger’s side window."

Was the suspect fleeing or was he about to retrieve his own weapon or even use the car as a weapon?
Until the car is moving away from you, how can you be sure that the perpetrator is actually fleeing?

IMO, had the victim been charged,  way too much reasonable doubt. Smart move by the police to leave him alone.

Regardless, birdshot would most likely not be fatal at that distance. Especially through a vehicle window. I use #1 buckshot in my shotgun for HD.

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2016, 05:31:54 PM »
Yeah the bad guy hadn't left.. The chance of him grabbing a weapon to come back is arguably there. IMO a bad guy remains a threat until they have left entirely. Even then I'd be highly alert until police capture them hoping they don't return later with a weapon or a few gallons of gas, etc. Also, the state does say we're permitted to protect our property as well which unfortunately has become complete BS in the courts. We have lost our right to protect property in this state.

I'd say he will not be charged mainly due to his age. He shot at someone fleeing the scene while advancing on them at the same time and seeking out additional danger in doing so. He actually became the instigator in this situation. Not that I'd have done what he did but if I had.. I'm sure I'd be in handcuffs.

RetCapt1994

• Life Member
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2016, 10:35:42 PM »
Getting old just may have perks. At my age I hope this is so. Regards to the homeowner and hope this goes away.  Regards to all at DECCW.
Glock Armorer - Tavor Level One Armorer
It is all about bullet placement                          Carry permits, de ccw, and leosa/hr218  DELAWARE SUCKS----THE WORST STATE