Author Topic: OWB holster  (Read 9535 times)

FreakShow

• Life Member
OWB holster
« on: November 18, 2016, 01:52:42 PM »
Looking for a good OWB holster. i bought an alien gear holster, but you have to have tine hands to assemble it. so i'm looking for a one piece, maybe leather for my s&w sd9ve. any suggestions
I got the fever and the only prescription, is more cowbell

NRA Member

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
Re: OWB holster
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 02:38:23 PM »
Check out www.theholsterstore.com , insert you make and model gun and they will show you all they offer for that gun. I have a Pro-Carry, Deep Comfort IWB from there and have used it for EDC for 5 years now. They hold up good and ship fast from Florida where they are made of USA Materials.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

Grettski

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 05:50:21 PM »
Check out www.theholsterstore.com , insert you make and model gun and they will show you all they offer for that gun. I have a Pro-Carry, Deep Comfort IWB from there and have used it for EDC for 5 years now. They hold up good and ship fast from Florida where they are made of USA Materials.

Great site! thanks for sharing. Your edc looks exactly like what I'm after. I have a raw dog now, but it rides just a bit too high for my comfort.
USAF Retired

29thInfantry

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 06:46:44 PM »
Check these guys out I have 3 of their holsters so far.  I had crossbreed and alien gear i got rid of them after carrying in this holster for a week. 

http://stealthgearusa.com/
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

MarcWinkman

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2016, 03:49:05 PM »
I'd vote for Blackpoint Tactical.

www.blackpointtactical.com

FreakShow

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2016, 01:31:42 PM »
what's the thought of this.
http://zerocarry.com/product/zero-carry/

NRA Member

joep19934

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2016, 03:43:21 PM »
It looks simple and cool but I wouldn't trust a plastic holster.
It also doesn't look like it has a lock to keep it from moving ( Twisting ) when carried OWB.
Just my opinion.
18 Day Turnaround
Kent County
NRA Member
DE/PA CCDW permits
BRIDGEVILLE RIFLE & PISTOL CLUB Member
Delaware State Sportsman's Association

JonathanG

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2016, 03:51:09 PM »

No way I'm carrying with one in the pipe and no trigger coverage.

joep19934

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2016, 04:53:09 PM »

No way I'm carrying with one in the pipe and no trigger coverage.
Good point I didn't think about that.
18 Day Turnaround
Kent County
NRA Member
DE/PA CCDW permits
BRIDGEVILLE RIFLE & PISTOL CLUB Member
Delaware State Sportsman's Association

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2016, 07:00:20 PM »
Second the motion on trigger coverage.  I also submit for OWB that riding high is a real advantage especially when wearing loose fitting summer shirts.

DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

ThePixelated

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2016, 03:56:07 PM »
Second the motion on trigger coverage.  I also submit for OWB that riding high is a real advantage especially when wearing loose fitting summer shirts.

Definitely I prefer to cover the trigger. Don't need a negligent discharge.

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2016, 10:39:47 PM »
A holster without trigger coverage is absolutely worthless.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

Capnball

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2016, 04:52:27 PM »
Holsters seem to be as equally a personal choice as the selection of the firearm itself, maybe even more so. Most of us end up with several carry guns and a box full of holsters, some we like and use frequently, and some that seemed like the right choice at the time until we actually used it, and then found it to be wanting in some important aspect or another.
I'll just list a few things that I've learned the hard way and hope that it helps.
For OWB carry - I agree, those systems that sit higher and closer to the body tend to be more comfortable for daily wear.
Snap retention systems are very secure but require regular practice to get the gun out quickly and safely. Those systems that depend upon screws for retention should be checked regularly to be sure there is enough tension. Over time and with use every material leather, kydex or ballistic nylon, all will stretch.
Kydex is great for retention but can be noisy, and can be less comfortable than leather depending on the size of the firearm as it is somewhat less flexible. Paddle Holsters that ride high in leather are good choices particularly for revolvers but size and shape matter greatly.
Buy a gun belt. A gun belt will be less prone to stretching and won't fold over, like a standard belt often does when carrying. Some are made from man-made materials that won't stretch at all. This means less pulling up of your pants.
Spending more money on a rig doesn't necessarily mean that it will work better but the cheapest stuff often doesn't hold up well even from name-brand makers.
If you are a left-handed shooter as I am - Your choices in holsters that fit your gun will be more limited.

FreakShow

• Life Member
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2016, 07:40:24 PM »
Holsters seem to be as equally a personal choice as the selection of the firearm itself, maybe even more so. Most of us end up with several carry guns and a box full of holsters, some we like and use frequently, and some that seemed like the right choice at the time until we actually used it, and then found it to be wanting in some important aspect or another.
I'll just list a few things that I've learned the hard way and hope that it helps.
For OWB carry - I agree, those systems that sit higher and closer to the body tend to be more comfortable for daily wear.
Snap retention systems are very secure but require regular practice to get the gun out quickly and safely. Those systems that depend upon screws for retention should be checked regularly to be sure there is enough tension. Over time and with use every material leather, kydex or ballistic nylon, all will stretch.
Kydex is great for retention but can be noisy, and can be less comfortable than leather depending on the size of the firearm as it is somewhat less flexible. Paddle Holsters that ride high in leather are good choices particularly for revolvers but size and shape matter greatly.
Buy a gun belt. A gun belt will be less prone to stretching and won't fold over, like a standard belt often does when carrying. Some are made from man-made materials that won't stretch at all. This means less pulling up of your pants.
Spending more money on a rig doesn't necessarily mean that it will work better but the cheapest stuff often doesn't hold up well even from name-brand makers.
If you are a left-handed shooter as I am - Your choices in holsters that fit your gun will be more limited.

i bought a nice and thick belt from Tractor Supply. As soon as i get the smaller (springfield xds) gun, then i will buy a pancake style holster. i like the idea of the gun itself having a couple safety's on in, but want the trigger to be covered.

NRA Member

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2016, 08:51:22 PM »

i bought a nice and thick belt from Tractor Supply. As soon as i get the smaller (springfield xds) gun, then i will buy a pancake style holster. i like the idea of the gun itself having a couple safety's on in, but want the trigger to be covered.
The OWB holster that comes with the gun is not bad does not cover muzzle but to me that is not important. It does cover the trigger.

I am much more concerned about rapid smooth access than concealability.  I dress to carry not modify my carry for my dress.
Remember that people carry all kinds of stuff on their belts now like big cell phones and such.  No one is going to notice that bulge.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 09:21:48 PM by Clarence »
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.