Author Topic: Night on the town (carrying changes everything!)  (Read 7084 times)

Sinker

Night on the town (carrying changes everything!)
« on: November 21, 2016, 07:04:14 PM »
Saturday night Mrs Sinker and I went out to dinner then to a club to see some friends in a blues band.  I'm usually a casual drinker, but as I'm still getting used to carrying I thought it best to choose between drinking and carrying.  Since we were headed into Wilmington at night, I chose to carry... S&W CS9 in an Alien Gear IWB, t-shirt and a sweater.

The first thing that hit me (and I already knew this) was that my seating choices would be affected.  I definitely wanted to face the door and have as few people behind me as possible.  No problem at the restaurant, but the bar was a little more crowded.  Everything was smooth until one woman felt the need to share an unwanted opinion about something with another woman.  That ended without incident, but then the 2nd woman's husband/boyfriend decided to say something to the 1st woman's husband/boyfriend.  To be honest, it would have been slightly entertaining except for the fact that I was carrying.  A hundred scenarios were flashing through my mind while they were 'talking.' If I weren't carrying I might have tried to step in and diffuse the situation, but with a 9mm on my hip I didn't move.  What if it escalates?  What if a fight breaks out?  What if one of them (or both) has a weapon?  Fortunately, it ended up being nothing more than a pissing match that ended peacefully.

I don't really have any great insights or wisdom to offer, but just wanted to share my experience.

PPScarry

• Life Member
  • del ccdw license holder - NRA member
Re: Night on the town (carrying changes everything!)
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 07:50:42 PM »
Carrying or not I tend to remove myself from potential situations such as that . Too old to diffuse the situation so pass the chips. :D
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 07:53:45 PM by PPScarry »
"There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. "
Noah Webster
 American Lexicographer

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 10:13:06 PM »
One evening, before I got my CCDW permit, my wife and I were leaving J C Penney to go to Costco.
My wife said, "Should we drive, or walk?"
I replied, "Let's drive. It's getting dark, it will be dark when we come back, and we might get robbed."

A few years later... same situation, but carrying:
"Should we drive, or walk?"
"Let's drive. I wouldn't want someone to get shot trying to rob us."

Same decision -- to avoid danger -- but a different justification.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

lynch

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 12:57:03 AM »
Permits don't make us cops. I'm with PPScarry on this one.
Don't most clubs have bouncers or whatever you call them now?
DE ccdw
PA  LTCF
Utah CFP
NRA member

Sinker

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 10:55:29 AM »
I agree!  The point I was attempting to make was that the fact that I was carrying affected every aspect of my evening. 

PPScarry

• Life Member
  • del ccdw license holder - NRA member
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2016, 11:26:28 AM »
I agree!  The point I was attempting to make was that the fact that I was carrying affected every aspect of my evening. 

And you handled yourself appropriately. Carrying a weapon affects us all the same way I would imagine. I also look for a seat where I can see everything. I  have also turned down the opportunity to have a few beers so I can carry.

I remember once at work I was at my cubicle when I heard raised voices between co-workers. I swiveled around to see a couple late 20's 300 pounders engage in a fist fight. I swiveled around and went back to work at the dismay of my closet friend in the office. He asked me why I didn't try to break it up since I am also "large". I told him they need to get it out of their system and learn their own lessons of victory and defeat lumps and bruises and the possibility of getting fired. Ended in about a minute and their relationship was totally turned around best of friends after. Funny how that usually happens. The victor respects the losers sand and the loser respects the victors knuckles. Pass the chips, been there done that. ;)
PS. The boss was proud. Our first fight in the office. Construction is a contact sport.
"There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. "
Noah Webster
 American Lexicographer

lynch

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2016, 11:59:35 AM »

I understand. I don't even go to restaurants, let alone bars/clubs. But if I do, I would want to be seated advantageously.
Situational awareness is a good thing.  :)
DE ccdw
PA  LTCF
Utah CFP
NRA member

CorBon

• Life Member
  • The Revolution starts in your heart...
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2016, 07:32:51 PM »
To be honest, my reaction to that situation would be the same whether I was carrying or not carrying -- nie mój cyrk, nie moje małpy.
Very few guns are actually "illegal guns."  A gun misappropriated by a criminal is no more of an "illegal gun" than a stolen car is an "illegal car."

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2016, 10:19:35 AM »
To be honest, my reaction to that situation would be the same whether I was carrying or not carrying -- nie mój cyrk, nie moje małpy.
Agreed, but carrying at the circus would be prudent too. Just in case of some monkey business gone bad. 😉
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

CorBon

• Life Member
  • The Revolution starts in your heart...
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2016, 04:23:35 PM »
It's crazy how close we're all getting to this stuff, without even realizing it -- or trying to find trouble.  On Monday, I took my mother to a medical appointment, and ended up talking to a woman in the waiting room whose grandson was just shot in Wilmington, in front of his house.  On Tuesday, I spoke with a co-worker in Chicago whose nephew was just shot and killed a week ago, after coming out of his house.  Last week in Philly I had another driver throw something and hit my car.  Of course, trying to drive, call 9-1-1, keep track of him, and not get into an accident -- I lost him in the traffic.  Apparently, all cars on the road on Philly are silver Chargers.
Very few guns are actually "illegal guns."  A gun misappropriated by a criminal is no more of an "illegal gun" than a stolen car is an "illegal car."

ThePixelated

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2016, 03:49:27 PM »
Carrying definitely changes what you do when you're out.

For me after (and probably a little before) I got my CCW, I did some research into self defense situations ("MidwayUSA's The Best Defense" on The Sportsman's Channel and many videos from YouTube). I started learning about situational awareness and looking for things in my environment that could be or were out of place (of course this doesn't replace actual training, but it this stuff was educational and got me thinking about what to do for self defense situations). You put yourself in room where you have a good visual of what's going on, usually with a good view of the main entrance. In movie theaters you look for any person acting or wearing anything out of the ordinary (long trench coat or large bag). Walking through parking lots you're looking for anyone that might be hiding between cars or following you. You start moving away from possible fights in bars or stores because you don't want to become involved since you are carrying a firearm. You should only use your firearm if your life or the life of your family or someone else's life is in danger. You also stop getting angry while driving and carrying if other people are driving like idiots, avoiding all possible road rage incidents. But if any situation arose where you do need your firearm to defend yours or someone else's life, you will, hopefully, be ready to do so, legally.

As for drinking, I stopped going out for late nights of drinking and seeing a few local bands after I married (before my strong interest in CCW and firearms), so my drinking was severely decreased (for the best) and I eventually completely stopped a few years ago due to possible health issues.

Carrying has definitely changed my view of things and how I should react to different situations.